close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun cleaning:system or all in one???

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Wash-ar15, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15
    Expand Collapse

the myriad of gun cleaning products is amazing.

You have the systems that are cleaner/oil/ treatment and the CLP's. This thread is not about the merits of a brands, but what does it better, a system or CLP?

So what do you think works the best. A system or a all in one?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ReyFufuRulesAll

ReyFufuRulesAll
    Expand Collapse
    Pantless Wonder

I use hoppes for solvent, and snap-on spot lube for oiling. I also have an all-in-one that I use occasionally for hard-to-reach areas, but the name escapes me at the moment.

3. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348
    Expand Collapse
    Happy Member

CLP works great on all my firearms. I've never used anything else.

4. Breadman03

Breadman03
    Expand Collapse

I prefer an all in one because they have worked well for me. Maybe several specialized products would work better, but my needs are already being met and exceeded.

I would use something specialized to clean severe bore fouling, but haven't had a need.

#4 Breadman03, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  5. Batesmotel

Batesmotel
    Expand Collapse

Unlike some guys here I hate cleaning guns. 6 years in the infantry cured me of that. I like an all in one or at least as few components as possible. In my admittedly arrogant opinion, many shooters over-clean and over-think the entire cleaning process. Glock shooters are among the worst. You don't need a dozen chemicals to clean a glock and it doesn't need to be detail stripped every time it is fired.

6. JaPes

JaPes
    Expand Collapse
    Rimfire 1010101

I've tried & used several different solvents, lubes, all-in-one cleaners. I narrowed down to good old Hoppes No.9 & whatever oil was available. Then I tried Breakfree CLP. I liked it, but wanted something less toxic.

[​IMG]

I didn't think would work so well. Non toxic. It needs a little more dwell time to clean, but it does the job nicely. The more the bore gets seasoned with Ballistol, the easier it becomes to clean.

When I finish off the other cleaning solvents & lubes, I'm not replacing them. I'll still keep a copper solvent on hand. I'll still keep a little Hoppes No.9 because I've been habituated to the scent.

7. Breadman03

Breadman03
    Expand Collapse

4 years here.

Dampened Boresnake, toothbrush for about 30 seconds, and another 1-2 minutes wiping down with a cloth. Add a few drops of lube where needed.

Though I did just spend about 4 hours pulling apart a new to me, but filthy 92 FS a few days ago.

8. thinkfast

thinkfast
    Expand Collapse

About a decade ago I went to CLP and Boresnakes. For blasting Glocks, snubbies, shotties, an SKS and an AR, it's the way to go.

Hardcore benchresters do well with patches & specialty products. But most of us are well served by less-is-more.

9. themighty9mm

themighty9mm
    Expand Collapse

I prefer a solvent then oil system, and gun dependant perhaps grease aswell or instead. Hoppes solvent. Then militec-1 or weaponsheild for oil. I know the weaponsheild is a 3-1. But IMO it does its best work as an oil and I use it strictly for that. Then brian enos slide glide gun dependant

10. Lowjiber

Lowjiber
    Expand Collapse

Ballistol is my "do it all" stuff. However, I admit still using a tiny bid of grease on the slide rails of my 1911's.

11. hsprincipal

hsprincipal
    Expand Collapse

OTIS gun cleaning system and CLP is all I use.

12. Stevekozak

Stevekozak
    Expand Collapse
    Returning video

I'M systems guy, Hoppes and then good gun oil. I have never been able to warm up to the CLPs, although I keep a bottle of Breakfree around for the AR. I am also a if it ain't broke, don't fix it kind of guy. :)

13. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon
    Expand Collapse

for "normal" cleaning, CLP has worked for me for 30 years. When I have to remove lead or copper, I'll use a separate solvent, like Shooter's Choice or a "lead wipe away" cloth, and then follow up with CLP.

14. sourdough44

sourdough44
    Expand Collapse

Don't get caught up in all the supplies. All it takes is a correct size rod, coated is better, a patch jag, & a brush at times. Another essential is a 'lightly oiled cloth'. There is the occasional need for a small brush or dental pick.

The overall care & use of the cleaning supplies is where it's at, no need to buy some fancy, specialized cleaning kit.

15. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

I use CLP and a Boresnake for a quick cleaning. For a more thorough cleaning I prefer Shooter's choice and leave a light coat of Remoil in the bore for rust prevention.

16. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

And here I thought that I was the only one feeling like that. :wavey:

Me too. Quick wipe of the innards, bore brush the barrel, clean the chamber, you're good to go. Hell, I'm so cheap that I'd use WD-40 as solvent and sometimes even protectant. Over a hundred guns and none of them are rusted because of WD-40 failure. Nor are they jammed from "gummed up" actions either.

#16 fnfalman, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  17. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E
    Expand Collapse

Ballistol has not been around as long as it has been by not working. Good stuff, antiseptic too, great on leather, doesn't react with plastics ... Good stuff

#17 PhantomF4E, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  18. Kichigai

Kichigai
    Expand Collapse
    気違い Was Mr30s

They offer too many options it is very confusing. I think I am going to go with Break-Free CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative) and then use Remington Rem Oil just on the recommend glock oiling points

19. m2hmghb

m2hmghb
    Expand Collapse

I like the Hoppe's elite cleaner. It doesn't smell much so I can use it indoors. For lube it's either gun butter, FP10, CLP, lubriplate, or tw25. I also have a type of lube that is specifically for fire control parts and works quite well. My go to is fp10 or gunbutter.

20. Magus

Magus
    Expand Collapse
    Deo Vindice

For years it's been CLP and some Hoppes #9. Have been trying out some Ballistol as of late. If you can get past the smell, stuff works pretty good.