close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun Blue question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MoneyMaker, Apr 8, 2012.

1. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker

Has anyone ever polished a glock slide and then did a cold blue with Birchwood caseys?If so did it take the blueing?I have a old police trade in that the RSA just shot craps and plastic sights are buggered up,so i plan on polishing the slid and then was wanting to cold blue it,but not sure if it will take as i tried numerous other black coating products and they have all just flaked right off.Dont have money to have it sent off for a expensive finish,,,Was also wondering about just having it sandblasted if anyone has done that and if it works out fine.

2. SCC

SCC Member Me

send it to glock !!! they can refinish it .. its like 55.00 bucks

3. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

4. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker

Well like i said i dont have the money to send it off,was just wondering why nothing will stick to the slide even after i polished it to a mirror shine and degreased it,,,,Guess i just gotta stay with a bling gun.

5. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Glock slides and barrels have a case hardening and anti-corrosion treatment in the surface of the metal. Blueing won't take to that layer of metal, and that layer is much more resistant to corrosion than blued steel would be. I'd leave it as it is and just check it once in a while for rust, or send it off to be refinished.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  6. Glock19Cowner

Glock19Cowner

[​IMG] So tried Birchwood perma blue on my barrel followed the directions to the letter and after the third coat noticed some weird spots on it so I wiped it down and this was the outcome. At least now i have a reason to buy aftermarket barrel.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  7. SARDG

SARDG

I have never had much luck with a cold blue process.

8. WhiskeyUnicorn

WhiskeyUnicorn Mall Ninja Extraordinaire

I've had luck with Perma Blue on a Remington 870 but other than that...Meh. The milled cut in my slide is cold blued x 3 times and still is very light. This is also the metal .100 inch below so...yea...Duracoat it?

9. AustinTx

AustinTx

I have had excellent results with Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue, for touch up on plain steel parts. It doesn't stink like the old cold blue did. I could smell the old cold blue, on a gun, several years after the application. It had selenium, in it.

10. Glock Junkie

Glock Junkie

Why dont you just polish that barrel?

11. mr_fender

mr_fender

Cold blue is a last resort for touching up small parts only in my opinion. It offers little protection against corrosion and wears off way too easily. I think you'd have better luck with duracoat or something along those lines for a fairly cheap and easy DIY finish. Just make sure you clean and degrease the steel very well. Prepwork makes the finish.

12. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Cerakote that bad boy

13. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl

After my friend saw my polished barrel he wanted me to do the sides of his slide. So I did, and it actually looked pretty decent. Didn't do them mirror smooth, just ran a dremel over with mothers mag and aluminum polish until the color lightened up. It ended up coming out like sort of a matte smoky chrome.[​IMG][​IMG]
    The top picture is one he sent me of it in daylight. The bottom picture is his on top and my 27 below to show the difference.

ETA: This was over a year ago, and we both live on the west coast of Florida and have had no problems with any sort of rust.

Sent from my phone booth

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  14. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

Polish it up and enjoy. I polished the flats on my 23 and tried the bluing thing. Looked like black chrome, but didn't hold up to handling, so I re-polished and it was fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Glock19Cowner

Glock19Cowner

The barrel was polished to a mirror shine. Cant really tell from the pictures but the pitting is pretty deep. Guess that's what I get for not leaving it alone after polishing. Have never had a problem with it before it actually work well on other projects. Oh well live and learn.

16. kashdaddy

kashdaddy Glockaholic

try the parkerization.............easy, cheap, DIY, durable, beat the bluing all day.