close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun Belt questions

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by awdxtc, Oct 29, 2011.

1. awdxtc

awdxtc
    Expand Collapse

I was wonder what a gun belt has to offer over a regular dress belt. I know they are stiffer etc, but what do all the things that make a gun belt different translate to in the real world?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. em2b96p

em2b96p
    Expand Collapse

not quite sure what the question is but....

I suppose a stiffer belt would last longer, work as a back support, and can be use in emergency zip line situations??

I cant justify buying an expensive leather gun belt. I prefer one of thoes nylon riggers belt due to cheaper price, but I havent found one I liked yet.

3. TopsBlades

TopsBlades
    Expand Collapse

Check out The Wilderness.com. It makes a difference.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

A gun belt will help keep the firearm closer to your body because of it's stiffness, instead of the gun flapping in the wind. When I first started carrying after I got my CCW, I didn’t think I needed a gun belt either. Then, I got uncomfortable with how far the gun was from my body. I was also tired of having to pull up my pants because the gun weighted them down.

My Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt solved those issues for me.

5. awdxtc

awdxtc
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, thats what I was looking for. I guess I did phrase the question awkwardly.

6. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

A proper gun belt is just as important to concealment as a good holster is, maybe even more so.

I can't understand why people will pay $500-$1,000 for a carry gun, $150 for a ccw class, $100 for a permit, $50-$100 for a holster and then insist on useing a $10 belt.

Funny how those.same people complain they have problems concealing a decent sized handgun.

#6 vafish, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  7. swinokur

swinokur
    Expand Collapse

A gun belt will allow support for the pistol without having to be cinched down tight. Important fpr any type of carry

www.thebeltman.net.

Wilderness belts really can't be used for anything besides jeans or casual slacks. The Beltman belts works for all modes of dress.

My .02

8. Boot Stomper

Boot Stomper
    Expand Collapse

I noticed Wal-Mart has recently been selling some thicker, stronger belt. The manufacturer (do not remember who makes them) call them work belts. They are a stiff nylon and leather. I do not need a new carry belt, but these belts feel and look good.

#8 Boot Stomper, Oct 30, 2011
  9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

:shakehead:

Some folks never learn.

I don't care how the belt looks hanging on the rack, you will not get a "gun belt" at Wal Mart, Dillards, etc. These "work belts" are fine.. for work. Carhart, Dickies, and several others all make a nice work belt. They are not a gun belt, and will not perform like one. A belt designed to carry a firearm, are to expensive to make to sell "off the shelf" in a dept. store.

There's a lot that goes into making a gun belt, and the amount of work required, is more than most makers would undertake to supply a big chain like Wal Mart.

IGF

#9 IndyGunFreak, Oct 30, 2011
  10. pipedreams

pipedreams
    Expand Collapse

I purchased a nice Carhartt work belt a couple years ago and while a good belt it is soft a flexible after about a years use. Still a good work belt but not a good gun belt. A good thick bullhide gunbelt will not turn soft and flexible after a few months.

11. BSteadman

BSteadman
    Expand Collapse
    WidowMaker

12. firefighter4215

firefighter4215
    Expand Collapse

My best fitting belt is that 1.5" nylon belt from 5.11. In a Supertuck type holster the G27 is extremely comfortable with that belt. Next on the list is my 1.5" horsehide with the stiffener from The Beltman. Very high quality piece of work.

13. XDfense

XDfense
    Expand Collapse

I bought a Wilderness Instructors belt (1.5", 5-stitch, no reinforcement) thinking it would be a great gunbelt. It is stiff but it has it's weaknesses too. There is still a weak point in this design - the material in front that goes through the buckle. It's flexible, which it has to be for it to be able to fasten. When I holster a loaded full size pistol, I still get some sagging and it's because of the thinner material in front.

A leather gunbelt is stiff all the way around and provided even more support than the Wilderness. Don't get me wrong, I like the Wilderness a lot, but I think leather does a better job.

14. imjustron

imjustron
    Expand Collapse

Just listen to all the wisdom here and spend the money on a real gun belt. the very first time you use it you'll come back to this thread and declare "OHHHHHHH...NOW I GET IT!!!".

15. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent
    Expand Collapse
    Rude Member

Wal-Mart is where you buy your range ammo, not gunbelts.

16. cloudbuster

cloudbuster
    Expand Collapse

I wear a Wilderness Traveler, and yes, I suppose that's a weakness, but on the other hand, a strength of the Wilderness belts is that you can micro-adjust them. It's easy to pull them just a 1/4-inch tighter, say, so that it gives a perfect fit. If perfect for you happens to be right between the holes on a leather belt, you have to punch a hole in it or you're SoL. And "perfect" for me can change over the course of a month or even a day, really.

It's like a horse girth (for you riders out there). It needs a little adjustment after it's been on for a while, and your horse's girth circumference isn't always exactly the same size depending on diet, amount of exercise, etc.

#16 cloudbuster, Oct 30, 2011
  17. smokin762

smokin762
    Expand Collapse

About five years ago, I started having allergic reactions to having any kind of steel touching my body for any extended amounts of time. My belt was eating me up. Btw, I work in manufacturing in the Fastener Business.:faint:

I started searching for belts that had a plastic type of buckle to help with this but I was also looking for a belt that would support the weight of my gun. I went everywhere I could and couldn’t find anything that I could use. While searching though, I was also keeping an idea of what a decent belt would cost.

A friend of mine referred me to go online and check out Wilderness. I did and that is where I came across the model of belt that I wear. I also noticed that some of those belts are not any more expensive than decent quality Department Store belts plus it is made to be a gun belt. That is a twofer for me.
    http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=product&id=2503&parent=142

18. jb1911

jb1911
    Expand Collapse

I went to Cabela's last night wanting to check out their Double Duty belt. I went upstairs to the gun department, found a salesman and asked him where the gun belts were. He looked confused at first, then led me over to a cowboy-type cartridge belt. He said that's about it for gun belts. I asked him about the Double Duty gun belt and he never heard of it. On the way out I thought, why not check the men's wear department and there they were. They even said Double Duty on the tag. They had a price tag of $39.99, but online they were $29.99. I said to myself the hell with it and bought one anyway. The clerk asked me if I wanted to get a Cabela's Visa and $25 off my purchase. I signed up for one and also got a Cabela's travel coffee mug in the bargain. The belt was actually on sale (not marked) for $23 and change. I ended up getting my belt for .67 cents. Glad I stopped by.

#19 jb1911, Oct 30, 2011
  19. dosei

dosei
    Expand Collapse

Advantages of a good gun belt:
    1. Concealment
    Holds the gun closer to the body due to the fact that they do not "roll".
    Does not sag. Prevent flopping.

2. Comfort
    Spreads the weight of the gun over a larger area, making carry much more comfortable.
    Since the belt carries the weight so well, tension is not so critical. So the belt does not need to be so tight, thus it is more comfortable.

3. Durability/Inexpensive
    Outlasts other belts by a huge margin, making them very inexpensive in the long run.

#20 dosei, Oct 30, 2011