close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun Belt question

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by cmmoore628, Jun 22, 2011.

1. cmmoore628

cmmoore628
    Expand Collapse

I just picked up an IWB holster from Sidearmor. I purchased it with the 1.5" belt hook attachment. Now my question is...How important is it to purchase an 1.5 " belt versus a 1.75"? Will it make that much difference? The reason I ask b/c a local gun store only has the 1.75" belts in stock for a decent deal. Thanks.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Captains1911

Captains1911
    Expand Collapse

Whether they are clips or loops, you don't want them to be loose fitting, it may result in the holster moving around some and/or shifting. I would buy a 1.5" belt.

3. cmmoore628

cmmoore628
    Expand Collapse

With it being a wider belt, it wouldn't be loose fitting, would it? thanks for the response Captains

4. dosei

dosei
    Expand Collapse

As a general rule, smaller belt attachments will not work well with bigger belts.

#4 dosei, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

You took 3rd grade Geometry to? ;). That's where I learned that whole "big peg doesn't fit in little hole" issue..

Seriously... OP, did you get the "J Hooks" or the "Belt Loops"?

The loops.. it's just not gonna work, they are enclosed and will not accommodate a larger belt.

The J-Hooks, hook on the "bottom" of the belt, however, it will cause the holster to sit improperly if you try putting 1.5in loops, on a 1.75in belt. If you want a 1.75in belt, order 1.75in loops/hooks. Otherwise, order a 1.5in belt.

6. cmmoore628

cmmoore628
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I got the J Hooks.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

OK, I can only speak of my experience w/ 1.25in loops on a 1.5in belt, and it didn't set right. It was like the top of my pants, kept me from pushing my holster down that extra .25in, to hook it onto the bigger belt. I could make it work with some pants (not jeans), but if it was seen, it was obvious I had a gun. You're either gonna wanna order a 1.5in belt, or order 1.75in loops, then get the 1.75in belt you want.

Hope that helps, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Did you just not pay attention while ordering, didn't think it would make a difference or what?

IGF

8. cmmoore628

cmmoore628
    Expand Collapse

No, I didn't purchase the belt. I do have the 1.5" holster though and I knew what I was getting. I was just wondering if it would make that big of a difference if i did purchase that 1.75" belt. If it'll work just as well, then I was considering jumping on that deal as that is the only belt size they have currently. If it is best to get the 1.5", then I'll get that. thanks for the help

9. swinokur

swinokur
    Expand Collapse

Many slacks and pants cannot accommodate a belt wider than 1.5 inches.

10. dancingwolf

dancingwolf
    Expand Collapse

This is true & the reason I use a 1.5" belt every day. On the rare occasions where I need a smaller belt (as in some suit pants), I use a 1.25 version of the same belts (Wilderness 5-Stitch Instructor Belt/Galco Leather Belt). They seem to work good, but I would rather use the widest belts i could.

11. Captains1911

Captains1911
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah, I misread that, yeah, the smaller belt attachments probably won't work then. Either way, get a 1.5" belt.