Glock Talk banner

guided hunt for fall 2003

882 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  tjpet 
#1 ·
looks like a lot of places are filling up. my old man and i would like to go on a guided hunt this year. we're looking for a 3-5 day hunt and we're not too picky for what or where. right now we're thinking elk, deer, upland birds or waterfowl.

cost is an issue, and we'd like to keep it to around $1500 a piece for the hunt, not including tags, license, travel, etc. pretty much anywhere in the lower 48 is good.

neither of us have ever done a guided hunt. any tips on what to look for or questions to ask? any place that you've been and can recommend would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Just a word of caution...Check out what areas are having issues related to the drought. You might want to steer clear of those.

Also, some of the best info I have found is from state DOW offices. They know who is ethincal, who scores and who is blowing chunks.

#3 ·
hey mpol...come see me here in SC. i would cut you a deal at $1499 each for a 3-5 day guided deer hunt. :)

seriously though, if you don't mind spending up to $1500 you have a lot of options with upland game and waterfowl alone. there are several places in SC for deer hunting for about 1/2 that. we go to arkansas and hunt ducks every year for about $250/day, EVERYTHING included. best places i know of? texas for deer (WT); arkansas, ND, Miss. for Ducks; Kansas, ND, SD, Nebraska for upland game; CO or Utah for Elk. there are tons of resources online to help you set these up. good luck, hth!

most importantly, follow MarkCO's advice and CHECK REFERENCES!!!

#4 ·
When you find an outfitter that you like, check them out with the better business bureau. if there is a complaint of them, ask them for an explanation. Some people are just hard to please and they will be able to explain the complaint others are legitimate complaints. If you get a bad feeling pass them over and look elsewhere.

Good luck and let us know what outfit you chose!

Also, please give us a detailed review after the hunt next year. You might want to start a log on your research right now in order to help others out with this process. You could post it here for other to read and use as a guideline when they are ready to taek the plunge. I know that I'll be looking for something like this in 3-5 years when I have the money for a guided elk hunt.

#6 ·
Get in the best physical shape possible. Most good elk and deer hunting is going to be in tough, steep, rugged, high altitude country. Forget what you've seen on TV hunting shows. Private ranch hunts make it as easy as possible for dude hunters especially when they're paying $5000+ for a middle-of-the-road package.

Horses will get you into the hills but they can only go so far. After that it's leg power all the way.

A friend of mine that guides says that a person in shape should be able to jog up four flights of stairs, in full hunting gear and rifle, without huffing and puffing when he gets to the top.

I'd say that you should concede that you can't out walk or climb your guide. With that said, let him pick the route you go or stalk but you lead the way and set the pace.

Nothing is going to ruin a hunting trip faster then being completely spent at the end of each day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.