close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Guide Rod Lasers

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by MikeG21, May 12, 2013.

1. MikeG21

MikeG21 Not a doctor

May 8, 2013
    Orygun
    I'm looking to equip my Gen4 G21 with an internal laser but do not have a lot of knowledge of their efficiency and durability. The only brand I can seem to find research on is LaserMax, but have come across a lot of bad reviews.

What are y'all thoughts/opinions/complaints/praises for guide rod lasers? What brands do you recommend? What brands should I stay away from?

2. wlkjr

wlkjr

Apr 9, 2012
    I have one on my G19 but haven't shot it that much since installation. I haven't had any failures of any type. Mine is a Lasermax.

3. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    Haters gonna hate.
    I like em think they work great..

4. NavyMSU

NavyMSU

Oct 26, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Do they make hem with the dual recoil spring assemblies? Gen4 models were designed to use those to improve accuracy.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. MikeG21

MikeG21 Not a doctor

May 8, 2013
    Orygun
    I'm not sure....That's a good question. Anybody know?

6. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Dec 2, 2005

It doesn't look like it... :dunno:

They make them for the Gen 4 Models, but they don't show them as having dual spring assemblies:

https://www.lasermax.com/EcommerceLandingPage.aspx?categoryid=12

--Ray

7. yubakram

yubakram

Apr 9, 2013
    SE Georgia
    Talked to LaserMax this morning and they are working on products for Glocks with the Dual Spring recoil rod assembly and should be available within the next two quarters...

8. Citadel15L

Citadel15L

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Florida
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  9. GlocksterJeff

GlocksterJeff Glock Armorer

Jun 29, 2003
    'Sunny' Oregon
    Guide rod lasers are subjected to an awful lot of heat, vibration, and stress. This is not a good thing when it comes to the longevity of electronic components.

Whether they work well or not, guide rod lasers are not adjustable for point of impact. That makes them pretty much usable only at very close range.

10. tenforme

tenforme

Feb 14, 2013
    CA
    Agreed, this is the key drawback. In addition there is no green laser version and red lasers only work in the dark or very low light.

11. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I do not necessarily agree, but I take the laser out if I am going to be doing a lot of practice shooting. There are a couple of problems. I have 5 of them and the dual springs ones do not work very well as far as adjustment and brightness. The single spring ones work really well if you have the stock barrel and they will garrantee it to be within 2" at 20 yards and adjust it under warranty. But an aftermarket barrel and you are screwed.

I sent my G29 laser back because I bought a longer barrel, which did not match POI and POA. I did not hear anything for a month, so I called and they had lost it, after I paid $80. They sent me a new one, which did not match and I had to pay another $80.

For me the real advantage is rapid targeting at relatively close range. Put the dot on and squeeze the trigger. If the target is more than 20 yards, I am going to use the sights anyway. I will tell you that none of mine have broke. If you are sighted in, you are good.