close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Guide me in my customization of my G26 and G17L

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Big A, Jul 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Big A

Big A Herr Trigger

Hello all...:wavey:

I have two Glocks that I'm looking to use as testbeds for various parts and customization.

First is my G26. I paid $300 for it about 2 years ago and I am bored with it. It has the non checkered front strap so I want to try my hand at stippling and rounding the trigger guard. I also want to polish the slide to a mirror finsh because of the holster wear and polish the internals for smoother oeration.

So, what type of features should I look for in a soldering gun?

I'm looking for more of a checkered texture than the moonscape texture that is so common. How would I achive this? I have some A&G grip extenders and beat up PMags to practice on.

What do I need to do to strip the finish off of the slide and barrel? I know how to polish it, just not clear on what I need to do to strip it.

I'm also interested in the various trigger setups that people are running. I want to lessen the creep, improve the take up and make it crisper.

I've also been looking at aftermarket barrels and I am wondering what people here like and why. I'm interested in everyones thoughts and opinions on this.

And lastly what sights do you long slide owners like? I don't understand adjustable sights on a pistol. I've never shot a combat pistol from a rest. It's always been on a combat course or static at an indoor range. I was thinking about factory Glock 3 dot night sight but I found a set of adjustable night sights and thought about them too. I run XS Big Dots on my carry pistols (G26/G19).

Sorry for the long post and thanks to all who reply...:cool:

2. jmb79

jmb79

I've never done it but I believe that one common way to get rid of the black odixe on the slide is to strip it and then soak it overnight in vinegar. After that, the black oxide is supposed to just slide right off. Then you can polish away.

I still don't see why people would want any other finish than matte black. It's my favorite color. :)

3. Big A

Big A Herr Trigger

Thanks jmb79.

Anyone else....?

4. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

I went with a LoneWolf stainless slide on my G27, and I am pretty happy with the 2 tone finish - Stainless with black barrel, black extractor, and black sites - with the front press check serrations... *schweet*

Polishing the slide will work well, unless it's for daily carry. I polished the side flats on my G19 and it looks *hot* to me... BUT - Summer time sweat caused discoloration and staining. My chemistry isn't complementary to the finish... so one day it will go off for refinishing in a more durable sweat resistant finish - keep this in mind as you are polishing your slide.

I just used a 240 or 320 grit first sand and transitioned up to 400 then 600 grit, and the polish was looking good. Tape the sandpaper to GLASS for a smooth finish, and pay attention to taking the slide OFF the paper entirely before returning the slide to the reverse stroke - otherwise you will see 'fishhooks' in the finish.

It's a pretty big task to polish the entire slide - I have never tried this, so I can only wish you well on this endeavor.

For the front finger guard - I would thin the area where the dominant hand middle finger comes up, but I don't know about stippling the trigger guard. Sounds uncomfortable to me... but raising the middle finger hold on the pistol will improve control, and rounding the hook off the front of the trigger guard is an 'esthetics' concern that isn't that critical for function.

Stippling - you can 'trial' your stipple location and finish style with Skateboard tape, or non-skid tube n tile tape. Why not run this to assess the results of the different stippling styles. It's not permanent, and the various tapes may end up solving your concerns while retaining resale value if that is in the back of your mind...

Longslide sights - I like fiber optics, or for CCW carry tritium. Fiber optic and tritium combined didn't impress me the way I though it would - you lose some brightness in darkness by putting the FO in front of the tritium IMHO... YMMV on this...

Measure twice, cut once...

HTH,

Patrick

5. CatDuke3D

CatDuke3D

All good but don't even shoot a bad guy with one of these "tricked out" handguns. An attorney will eat you alive in a courtroom when he holds up your "killing machine" that you "modified" specifically for the purpose of "kill-ing peeeeople" (say like Jane Reno referencing ASSAULT RIFLES when she was channeling Charlton Heston a la Soylent Green). Just sayin'...

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

There are some discussions regarding gun modification here http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1395779 Some of the posts are made by some people who actually have some experience in court as opposed to "internet wisdom" which often isn't.

7. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Dawson Precision adjustable fiber optics on my G24.

I run a Ghost Rocket connector, Glockworx v4 striker, lightened springs, and some polishing and custom trimming. Trigger is pretty mushy but light with zero overtravel and about 1/16" reset

TopGlock magwell and brass plug, stainless extended guide rod and a few various Wolff recoil springs.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  8. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

Big A, regarding the "checkering"' I bought a $12 wood burning kit from my local Michael's craft store. It comes with a chisel point that screws on the tip. After masking off the area to be detailed, take a hot iron and draw lines vertically (use a metal ruler as a guide if you want em super straight). Then do the same horizontally. You'll have made yourself some pretty effective checkering in an hour. Then youll need to knock down the sharp edges with some sandpaper, but that's easy too. Practice on those stupid mag feeders that are laying unused in your box right now.

Other than new sights and stippling, I pretty much leave my Glocks alone. I prefer matte black too, and blinging out a barrel and slide to shiny chrome finish seems like something my local pimps might do. Not interested. But to each their own I guess.

Don't dick with your trigger or any internals. Trust the experienced guys on this. It NEVER makes a Glock MORE reliable.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  9. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

He isn't looking for more reliability. He wants to play. :dunno:

10. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

Keep it black, they look better.
    Only stipple where your shooting hand will be.
    Glock's stock octagonal rifled barrels are very good & give more bullet speed than others.
    Better sights are a good option.
    Ameriglo I Dot Pro's, XS Sights:Standard Dot, Warren Sevigny, Heinie Sights are good 2 dot configurations.
    Good 3 dot setups are Glock night sight, Truglo TFO's, Meprolights, Trigicon, etc.
    Novak sights are very highly rated, come in 2 or 3 dot setups and multiple colors.
    We're rated most accurate of many mentioned & tested October 2009 Gun-Tests.