close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Guess I'll buy a manual..

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by FiremanMike, Nov 4, 2010.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike
    Expand Collapse
    Way too busy

<gasp> You've been reloading for over a year without a manual?!.. I haven't really needed one, all the information is available on the internet via various reputable websites. I guess I'm getting one now because I feel like I should have one.

Recommend me a decent one that gives a wide variety of load data..

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

If you shoot a lot of lead the only one to get is pretty much Lyman. Can't help with jacketed stuff... guns weren't meant to shoot those. :supergrin:

Jack

3. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

If you've already been loading without one, and don't load/plan to load a wide range of different calibers, I wonder if loadbooks for the calibers you do load would make more sense. You'll get a lot more data that way.

4. FiremanMike

FiremanMike
    Expand Collapse
    Way too busy

<shrug> I load 9mm and 223, might end up with a Glock 21sf at some point in the future so I will need 45 loads. Probably not worth it at that point..

I do only load jacketed, I'm too much of a wuss to undertake lead smelting lol..

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Lyman 49th... If you just want load data, and nothing else(and I mean nothing else)... the Loadbooks in your chosen caliber are cheap and full of info. I've generally found it lined up well w/ my Lyman, save a few loads here and there.

6. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

I think the "loadbooks" njl mentioned are the best deals. They basically take the information from all the powder/bullet manufacturers and put it in one place.

I have the one for 9mm...

But like you? Honestly, I get my info off the web as well. I never take load data from ONE source, but cross check and verify from several. Start low and work up, that's why the chrony is a great investment.

7. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

IMO, loading w/o several manuals is just limiting yourself. The online data from powder manuf is ok, if you use that powder & some, like Alliant, only give max. Having two good manuals & then cross checking w/ powder manuf is more telling. The Lyman #49 is very good, especially for lead bullets & the Speer #14. Both have many good, but not all powder choices & a good cross section of bullet styles & wts.

8. Jim B in CO

Jim B in CO
    Expand Collapse

I remember standing in Sportsman's Warehouse debating if I really wanted to spend the money to buy the Hornady manual. :rofl: I use it all the time when I'm reloading; I can't imagine not having it in the drawer of my reloading bench. It's only a little more money than a box of bullets - don't be so cheap! :supergrin:

I bought the Hornady and Sierra manuals because those are the two brands of bullets I shoot the most. (They seem to be less-expensive than some of the other brands.) I bought the Lee manual when I was just learning how to reload. It's great for getting the basics down (you sound like you're well beyond that). Now that I've been reloading for a while I never use the Lee manual.

#8 Jim B in CO, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  9. FLSlim

FLSlim
    Expand Collapse

The other advantage of reloading manuals (over powder manufacturer's sites on the internet and loadbooks) is that the manuals do contain a lot of information regarding reloading, in general, that a person fairly new to the game should find useful.

10. ColdShot

ColdShot
    Expand Collapse

I dont own a manual......old timers try to guilt that book reading stuff on ya LOL

For handgun loads I look to the internet and powder MFGs...

11. MrOldLude

MrOldLude
    Expand Collapse

I don't need a load book, but sometimes, it's nice to have a reference.

12. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Big thumbs up for Lyman 49 - lots of lead data, and I've found their results closest to my own.

Hornady - A great intro to reloading, info on chamber pressure and headspace at the beginning of the book. Pretty optimistic and conservative data, though IMHO. One big plus is they have Service rifle data for M14's and M1 Garands.

Speer - My #2 go-to book. No complaints there.

Sierra - Ok, but drives me nuts with their test guns. They are always showing you data from their 26" barrel rifle. Other than varmint guns, where do you ever see a 26" barrel? Point being, take it with a grain of salt. If you're loading for a 4" .44 mag, I guarantee they will be testing in a 7-1/2" bbl gun. Lyman seems to use the most common length barrels across the board.

13. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

As others have mentioned, Loadbooks. I find them very handy when I need to extrapolate data for a odd projectile. It's a single, inexpensive, convenient source of reloading data. You won't find a word on technique; just load data.

14. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Exactly why the internet & powder manuf data are of marginal use. If you aren't using at least one good manual, you really are handicapping yourself. Then again, if you only load one caliber w/ one bullet wt, you could probably get by w/ WTF, just fill the case & go.:upeyes:

#14 fredj338, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  15. FLSlim

FLSlim
    Expand Collapse

I'm just to old (or maybe I'm not old enough yet....) for loading up with WTF. I get a certain level of comfort in having some idea of what is going to happen when I pull the trigger. Kind of like staying with my wife all these years (for you GJack). Time/experience has taught me, what to do to avoid the most severe marital consequences (although I still risk kabooms because there isn't a decent manual).

16. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

HA! Divorce, the ultimate KB!:burn:

#16 fredj338, Nov 5, 2010
  17. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

Not all KB's are catastrophic... just gives you an excuse to go out and try a new model. :whistling:

Jack

18. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, but then you have to learn all the idiosyncrasies of the new model. Can be quite frustrating.:crying: Probably why I still love the old 1911 design; I know it well, know how to make it work for me, does what I ask of it & does it well. Changing just for the sake of changing, wait a minute, that's how we got OBAMA! MF CHANGE!:steamed:

#18 fredj338, Nov 5, 2010
  19. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

Fred, you need to expand your horizons, guns aren't the only thing you can get 'new models' of.

And as far as frustrations when learning the 'idiosyncrasies' of a new model... being Italian I've never suffered from that malady that effects you lesser men. :whistling:

Jack

20. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Being of Germany decent, I bow to your wisdom, at least when it comes to women.:tongueout:

#20 fredj338, Nov 5, 2010