close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

GSSF San Antonio... Dec 1st and 2nd

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by PettyOfficer, Nov 22, 2012.

1. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

Nov 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Who's heading to SA on the 1st?

I'm looking to head to my first outdoor event, hope to hit all the plates and meet a few folks.

I'll probably drive in from Houston Friday night and stay at a friends house and be at the range at 8:30 to register (should I get there earlier to be in line?).

What's the setup like at the range? Do they have multitude of bays or just a few?

How many shooters/entries were there last year? I didn't see a S-TX in the '12 Report for the '11-'12 # of entries, is this the first year?

I'm rather excited if ya can't tell!

I've read through the report, but I can't seem to figure out how many rounds I'd need for each entry. I was thinking of 3-5 entries and have no idea how many rounds to bring.

If somebody wants to pay for two of my entries, ill let you sign me in as a new member/first time shooter to get yourself an extra entry for the drawing :).

Is there anywhere near the range for lunch or should I bring my own?

Anything else I should be asking? I hope to meet some of my fellow Lone Star glockers.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    Wish I could say I am, but I'm not. Frustrating for me because I'll be in Houston for the next two weeks but can't make the match.

3. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    I definitely would if I wasn't flat broke. Just spent my last pennies buying some ammo so I can have my home defense gun loaded, it's been empty the last few weeks. :crying:

But hopefully someone will finally call me back and give me an interview, so I can start participating in 2013.

Hope you have fun, I can't wait for my first time shooting. For the first time, I think I've read between 100 and 150 rounds per event you plan to shoot, but I could be off by a bit, my memory is notoriously horrible. I say go on the safe side, bring 200 per event, use it as an excuse to buy more ammo, if you don't have enough stockpiled.

4. Can't answer your other questions HTH

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    USA
    My wife and I had fully intended to go, even had all Hotel Reservations confirmed for a nice 6 day trip together but due to circumstances beyond my control we have cancelled the trip. Maybe next year.

Hope everyone has a great time. I have shot this match several years but missed last year and now have to miss this year.

Don

6. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    what James said,
    Preregister.

also since this is your first make Sure

to sign up for the new shooters drawing.

One of the new shooters at that match WILL WIN a new Glock.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  7. malladus

malladus Glock Whore

Oct 24, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I've been shooting this match for a couple years now. Not sure I have all the answers, but here's what I know. Also I will be wearing a Ouray Search and Rescue hat and will be shooting both days (7-entries) so say hi if you see me.

malladus

8. Clem

Clem

Oct 22, 2001
    San Antonio
    Don - sad to hear you & Karen will not be making the trip. Hope everything is OK & we see y'all down the road soon. Please tell everyone HI from us.

Malladus - excellent reply with tons of info for those who haven't shot with us in SA. One correction - for the first time in a decade, Donna and I will not be running the vendor table at the match. So, we'll be able to shoot Saturday afternoon (after work) and all day Sunday. Unsure if a replacement vendor has been lined up. Looking forward to seeing you and a bunch more friends! Travel safe & take care.

Tony

9. Ranger54

Ranger54

Aug 31, 2002
    Taylor, TX
    Hey all, will be heading down Friday afternoon from beautiful downtown Taylor, well, actually a bit south of downtown and have a hotel room for Fri and Sat nights. Due to many circumstances, have not been shooting much, so, will probably totally suck. Will try to finish my four divisions Saturday, then head back Sun morn. May or may not hit the SAXET show Sun.

Clem, any dinner plans yet?

10. malladus

malladus Glock Whore

Oct 24, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Looking forward to seeing everyone as well. The father in law, Wyatt, and some friends will be heading down Friday. Were even bringing a new shooter or three hopefully. Is there going to be a GT get together?

malladus

11. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

Nov 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for all the replies.. I have more questions but not the time to ask... I'll be back on later.

Cheers!

12. Good luck to you and Norm and friends. I won't be making that match this year - I found that to be a heck of a drive from Tampa area. At least I was able to stay with and impose on friends last year.

13. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

Nov 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    First new question: the match is a week away, is it too late to pre-register? Just fax it?

Second question: I could do a GT dinner on Saturday but not Friday, anybody up for that? Mrs PettyOfficer might learn a thing or two from others and think that I'm less of a weirdo (she grew up in Illinois so I apologize in advance)

14. Pre-register up to noon on the Wednesday before the match. You may FAX, e-mail, or submit online - none of which is secure!

15. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

Nov 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'm 6'5" with a big belly and big laugh and will probably be wearing a gray Navy Tshirt unless its too cold and I'd have on a sweater or coat.

16. comeandtakeit05

comeandtakeit05

Nov 8, 2012
    I'll be coming down from Arlington on Friday night with a friend. It will be my first GSSF shoot. Hoping to shoot civilian and competition with my Gen 4 17. Anyone have any tips for a noob?

17. My best advice for anybody shooting a GSSF event is slow down.
    Slower is smoother
    and
    smoother is faster

And all thought its been covered thoroughly pre register l

18. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

Nov 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I pre-registered today. Tomorrow is the deadline.

A fella shot 500 at my indoor event tonight, and he'll be there, sorry for the bad news :)

19. malladus

malladus Glock Whore

Oct 24, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Be interesting to see if that correlates to good in outdoor.

malladus