close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gssf safety

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by S.Kargoh, Aug 28, 2011.

1. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

Seems like a real safe type of match. Has there been any fatalities, injuries? Even ND's ?

I have never heard this discussed before.

2. mike g35

mike g35

Good question, I've wondered about that myself. It seems to me the matches are conducted extremely safely though so if there were any injuries or anything it was shooter error not anything to do with how the match is set up. Actually I have been reading all the rules for all the shooting competitions and GSSF seems to be the safest. I'm very interested to hear the replies on this.

3. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

I shot at a clay pigeon shotgun event once. I'm not a shotgunner andhad never done it. I was appalled at the lack of safety. I saw two nd's pointed right at the ground next to everybody and one time a guy shot while another guy was down range trying to shoo away deer.

Nobody seemed to think it was a big deal. Nd guys didnt get dq'd or even verbally reprimanded. They were all old timers.

4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i've never seen more exaples of unsafe gun handeling at one location than a GSSF match. considering most of the shooters have zero to no experience other than informal shooting it isn't all that unusual. had a ND at Conyers a few years back on plate rack. shooter DQed, but i think he got an "exception" and finished shooting.

if i were to run shooters at the same level as USPSA i'd be able to DQ 15-25% on any given day.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  5. mike g35

mike g35

:wow:WOW!!! Is it really that bad? I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to other shooters or something because I saw no unsafe gun handling in Beckley. Someone should put up a thread (someone very experienced not me) about what proper gun safety at a GSSF match is to help the new shooters on here. I cant believe people are unsafe at these matches. I didn't even touch my gun until I was on the firing line and even then I made sure to keep my finger out of the trigger gaurd and to keep my muzzle pointed downrange at all times. Now I wonder if there are other things I'm not aware of that I should stop doing that could make me a little safer. Of course with me if you want to be safe when I'm shooting just stand where I'm aiming, the bullet will never get close to you:rofl:. (obviously a joke)

6. SARDG

SARDG

I've seen some things at GSSF... fair amount of 'muzzles' and 'fingers' - lotsa fingers... Some raising the gun before the timer...

Chief RO's primary responsibility is to keep their eye(s) on the gun - the Scorekeeper RO can watch the targets. I try to make it a pleasant learning experience to get the shooters through and make them more informed and aware for the next stage, or the next match. Even the thought of the ol' buzzer seems to have a traumatizing effect.

Things can happen quickly, though. There have been 3 ADs in the last 3 months in Florida IDPA matches resulting in injuries - all holster work on the clock, however.

Would I DQ a GSSF shooter? You betcha. The second person I ever ran in a match as an IDPA SO, I DQ’d. (Actually, the final call on a DQ is the GSSF Range Master's I think.)

7. MajorD

MajorD

I reallyhave only noticed one incident- shooter didn't quite understand how the shot timer worked and shot when the RO said stand by- didn't wait for the beep- gun was down range pointed at target so everything was fine.
    in a match where the guns start empty and are clear prior to holstering or box/bagging, and the ro is right on top of you very little could go wrong- not that it is impossible. I imagine if there was a flurry of safety issues that would expose glock inc to litigation the gssf program would disappear fast

8. mike g35

mike g35

I was so afraid of getting a procedural penalty or getting DQ'd that I asked the RO's everything before doing it. I know this sounds like overkill but when you ask experienced shooters and the RO's questions about what to do you are alot less likely to make a mistake and therefore alot less likely to have any type of accident. I'm no experienced shooter by any standards but my views on gun safety and competition shooting are easy to understand, unsafe=DQ. No second chances.

9. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i watch the gun, block the targets with the timer so i'm not tempter to look down range. biggest infractions are handeling firearm before instructed to. lof of shooters think they can handle a firearm as soon as they get to the line without instruction. lots of fingers on triggers. see a fair amount of shooters sweep the shooters on the left when clearing their pistol. i always try to work the right side set up. shooters turn pistol sideway, or parallel to their body for leverage and inthe process point a loaded pistol at the ROs and shooters to their left. Part of the problem is ROs aren't trained and often also not knowledgeable of common rules associated with competition.

10. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

I feel this event is very safe

Our first event was Jackson and the timing RO had his eyes glued to the pistol. It was like nothing else was there just him and his eyes on the pistol.I watched him watch the pistol every where it went. Again this was our first event and to date it had the best RO's. I always shoot with my kid and was real proud when 2 of the RO'S commented on how well my son indexed his finger out of the trigger guard.

Who ever Designed this event was extremely smart and safe.Handel ammo every where except in the safe areas to handle the gun.
    Very few spots to handle a gun. One place is on the range under the direction of a RO or in a marked safe area and don't touch ammo

Gun must be bagged or holstered

When you go down range to score a target or paste targets every thing is bagged or holstered and the table is clear.

I would say if anyone has encountered an unsafe event it had to be because some one was not following instructions or Rules were not being enforced

When we were at topton 2 guys were waiting with us to shoot they started to UN bag there guns. I quietly explained they can only handle there guns in the safe area and I walked them over to it and explained this is the only place to handle the gun alone. Both guys appreciated me telling them.

I also understand its a volunteer set up with staff. Next season I hope to be helping at the events me and my son go to.

11. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751 5 or 6 rounds?

The main thing for GSSF is that it is geared for the non-shooter who has never competed with a firearm. A good RO will watch and teach the new shooter on the proper handling of the firearm. Now if the shooter is so unsafe DQ the shooter, but be sure that you pull them away from the other shooters and teach them what they did wrong.

When I am RO'ing a match, I will not cut corners to make friends or not to hurt someone feelings. I will respectfully pull them off the line to tell them what they did or doing wrong. I want to make sure that no one gets hurt from someone's unsafe act.

I have been shooting and RO'ing matches for several years (GSSF + USPSA), this is the safest sport I ever have seen.

12. SARDG

SARDG

Initial training can be from the NRA RSO class. Somewhere on this site you can search for a class near you:
    http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/rso.asp

The above class is NOT for managing competition however. I feel that's best learned under the tutelage of a competition-experienced RO or SO. Those who belong to a club and participate regularly in their disciplines may find that they are looking for folks interested in learning the ropes. Once you've shot within a discipline and proven your skills, safety, and understanding of the rules, find a mentor and start by training at the practice sessions.

My club is frequently looking for club ROs for their open range and our steel matches require a minimum of 5 ROs/match and IDPA at least 9 SOs per match. (There are separate classes for IDPA SO.) I cannot imagine another club not being in the same boat. (Many of our club ROs are not NRA RSOs and many do not work competitions.)

The Knoxville GSSF venue will allegedly not allow non-NRA RSOs to work the match as a GSSF Chief RO. (Tennessee's rules, and it's on state land.)

There has probably never been a GSSF match where they felt they couldn't have used more ROs. In addition, there are 2 other types of ROs and the Sign-in RO is extremely important to get and keep the squading (and therefore the match) going correctly.

13. SARDG

SARDG

They say there are only 2 types of competitive shooters - those who HAVE been DQ'd, and those who WILL be.

14. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Ahem... DQ'ed in my first IDPA match, 2.5 years ago. Never a problem since.

15. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

at Dixon(edited with apologies to Dayton) there was a guy that refused to use the safety zone

after I told him about not handling his gun behind the firing line

he continued to field strip his Glock.

because that match used 2 different ranges

the GSSF staff was not at the range where this happened.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  16. mike g35

mike g35

Well all I can say for sure is I need to learn to shoot the matches before worrying about helping run them. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to learn or that I mind helping. In Beckley as soon as I got there I started pasting targets and I know thats not ROing by any stretch of the imagination but it should show I dont mind giving a hand. If anyone here is ever an RO at any match I attend feel free to ask for my help and also if you see me do something stupid please, for the love of all that is holy, tell me. My views on safety at GSSF events so far is good but I dont wanna get relaxed and start making stupid mistakes either. My father is shooting his first match in Lexington with me so I guess this time I have a fellow shooter to learn with. I just hope he doesn't beat me!!!

17. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Columbia Match I had to correct the RO at the Plates and recall his helper as he allowed the shooter to leave his gun out and on the table while the helper painted the rack.

Old Richmond, Va match a Marine Team was sharing a gun. One fella left off two shots into the table in front of him while waiting for the timer.

I have corrected numerous GSSF members through the years for walking around the match with loaded and unloaded (but with the slide forward) firearms holstered. Some with just an empty mag but ...

RO at the first Columbia, SC match was toten a loaded revolver while running the stage.

RO at a Fort Benning Match refused to wear eye protection while running his stage.

We had several guns left out while people went down range at the Ladies match too.

The point of my posting these observations is: EVERYONE of these were corrected on the spot by either another RO, GSSF STAFF or one of the spectators.

I can't count on both hands the number of times I have found shooters loading ammo in the safe zone but a simple explaination usually resolved that issue too.

We rely heavily on new personnel to put these matches on. Newly trained personnel REALLY NEED TO BE TEAMED UP WITH EXPERIENCED RO's so they can get the training necessary to run a stage safety and get a good grasp on the rules we operate under.

New shooters scare me too with their gun handling skills:

*Presenting a loaded gun right from the bag.
    *Pointing a gun at their opposing hand while holding their holster open and trying to reholster.
    *Pointing athe gun toward their leg or hip while using the barrel to catch the lip of the holster.
    *Pointing/raising the muzzle straight up from the ready position to break that first shot.
    *After holstering the gun pulling the shirt out from between the gun and the holster.

18. ede

ede Bama's Friend

That sucks Ron, I'm suprised you ever came back. Good for you for doing so.
    I DQed a new USPSA shooter for breaking the 180 at his first match. I hated doing it and tried to be as gentle as I could (not easy for me, I piss people off saying hello) but he took it pretty good and understood, and knew exactily what he did.

19. SARDG

SARDG

I RO'd at my first GSSF match. I cannot say that those were not confusing times for me. I had read the rules, but after that... I really studied the rules. I'm relatively certain that I know them now... :whistling: but GSSF does things a little differently from some other competitions.

20. SARDG

SARDG

So far, I only know of Cindy Noyes doing this at Conyers - and of course, she is a gun club venue member and Glock GSSF employee (understatement).