close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF novice asks advice

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Two-Gun Mary, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Two-Gun Mary

Two-Gun Mary

My wife & I will shoot our first GSSF (and first shooting competition of any kind) in a couple of months. I've already read in these threads that we should have at least 4 mags and a couple of boxes of ammo. Also that my wife & I can both shoot the same gun one after the other. Here are a few other questions I pose for you experienced GSSF shooters:

1 - How many rounds are needed per shooter? Does "a couple of boxes" mean 200 rounds? Two boxes of 500 each? Two boxes of a thousand??

2 - If we pre-register with a G19 & G27, do we have to actually shoot both or can we make that decision the day of the match?

3 - Will we be at a huge disadvantage if we go there without ever having shot those particular types and patterns of targets? Most of our shooting has been splash targets at 7 to 10 yards, bowling pins, or cardboard milkcartons filled with water.

4 - Do the extra magazines have to be carried on the person or is there a table to lay them on? (I don't have any mag carriers at this time.)

2. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

You'll need a minimum of 81 rounds, and a maximum of 110 to complete the match. Best to have enough ammo with you to shoot it twice should you need to re-fire a stage.

If you've only shot at about ten yards you will be at something of a disadvantage. Match targets are set at 5 to 25 yards away. You really should get at least one D-1 'Tombstone' target and practice with it at 25 yards before the match.

If you live near the Hallsville/Columbia area, I expect you can get the targets at the Green Valley range.

See ya at the match!

:patriot:

4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

before i shot my first GSSF match i had never praticed or seen a paper target, steel popper or plate rack until, my scores showed that fact, but i had a great time and it's esay to shoot the 3 stages. last time i shot a GSSF match i never praticed and had improved in the last 2 years.

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Most GSSF competitors carry their pistol(s) and magazines in a shooting bag, and carry it right up to the shooting table. You may place your loaded magazines on the shooting table.

6. Two-Gun Mary

Two-Gun Mary

Thanks for the helpful answers!

We're going to a range this week to break in the new G19. Practice at 25 yards will be on the agenda.

A couple more questions have come to mind:

1 - Since the sub-compacts hold fewer rounds than the larger pistols, I assume if you shoot a series of targets that needs more rounds, you just have to reload. True, or is it adjusted to suit the smaller capacities?

2 - As someone who has never shot competition, I assume we both should register as "Amateur Civilian". How is the "Amateur Subcompact" different? The G27 is listed in both categories.

Thanks for your help!

7. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

1. You won't need any more than 11 rounds per string. You can use Pearce or Glock extensions on your G27 and will be chambering a round before you shoot the string.

2. Unless you're a master-class shooter in some other discipline like IDPA or USPSA, etc., Amateur Civilian is probably the way to go. Am Guardian is for those military/LE/Firefighter (and retired). Am Subcompact is only for Subcompact guns, although you may (and some do) use your Subcompact to shoot AC. Your G19 is probably the best choice for this, however.

You should thoroughly review the current rules (since the '06 report has been mailed but not posted) available at:
    http://gssfonline.com/glockrpt/archives/2005vol_1.pdf

As to what Butch said about having some extra rounds should you need to get a re-shoot: "Hey! I resemble that." :clown:

8. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

The only match that does not need ten rounds to be fired is the Major-Sub match, in it only one round is fired on each paper target per string. In all the other matches two rounds are fired per paper target.

The 5 to Glock has five targets, so you need to have at least ten rounds in the gun, and that is 'doable' with all Glocks except the G36, G38, and G39, but they would be the guns used in the major-sub match.

On the Glock M and the plates, it is a REAL good idea to always load with eleven rounds. 11 rounds on the 'M' gives you two rounds per paper target, one for the one pepper popper you must hit (per string), and two extra in case you didn't hit the popper. There are six plates to be knocked down per string on Glocking the plates, it's good to have as many as you can in the gun......there is no reloading during a string of fire.

Having Pearce +1 magazine extensions on your G27 mags is a good thing!

Both your G19 and G27 can be used in the Amateur Civilian, but the G19 can not be used in the subcompact match as it is not a 'subcompact', it's a 'compact'. :)

9. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

The G-38 and G-39 can be used in 5-2-Glock and Glock M by using G-37 magazines.

10. gary newport

gary newport

Butch, I know you know this, but to avoid any possible confusion, the G36 and G39 (along with the G29 and G30) are major-caliber subcompacts and can be used in the GSSF Major Sub division, whereas the G38 is a major-caliber COMPACT and is not permitted in that division. The G38 needs to use G37 (10-round) magazines to compete in A-C.

11. JonInWA

JonInWA

Regarding at least the Glock 19, in my experience it's a little easier if your 4 magazines are the "normal" capacity (i.e., 15 rd) ones; that way, all can be loaded with 11 rounds from the get-go, as opposed to using 10 rd mags, which would require you to use one magazine as a "stripper" magazine, where you would load the pistol, chamber a round, remove the magazine(which now would contain 9 rounds)and replace it with a fresh 10 rd magazine before shooting (which gives you 11 rds on tap-10 in the mag, 1 in the chamber).

Best, Jon

12. Two-Gun Mary

Two-Gun Mary

Thanks for the tip. I've been thinking about that. A local shop has used 10-rd. mags for $10, but I will spring for the regular size for the G19 and 13-rd mags for the G27.

13. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Just be VERY carefull if you load 11 in every mag. If you start with 11 in the mag and shoot you max number of rounds in your first string(which is 10 rounds in the 5 to Glock ) that would leave 1 in the chamber. If you put a mag in with 11 rounds in it and 1 was already in the chamber now you have 12 rounds loaded. Not leagal and even if you got away with it if in the heat of competition you shot more than 11 rounds in any of the stages you would recieve a 10 second penality for a procedural. Believe me this is a penality looking for a place to happen. Load 10 in each mag and take a spare mag and color the base so it can be identified and use it strictly as a stripper mag. It could save a needless procedural penality.;)

If you read the stage descriptions and scoring section in the Glock Report Vol. 1 it states max of 11 rounds loaded for any stage and max of 7 rounds loaded for any stage in Major Sub. So 1 in chamber plus 11 in the mag is a no no.Be Very Carefull of Any Advice You Take.

14. JonInWA

JonInWA

Don, while I 1)defer to your GSSF experience and 2)agree that 12 rounds in the gun are a no-no, I still would recommend the "normal" capacity magazines as opposed to 10 rounders, for several reasons: 1)they're significantly easier to load/reload (especially regarding the last several rounds); 2)because (especially from what I've read on this forum regarding the G19 specifically) they're more reliable, especially when you get brand-new magazines, and avoid some of the follower vicissitudes which apparently have apparently plagued this varient to an extent; 3)as normal capacity magazines, at least you have the option of loading them with 11 rounds-and if all of one's magazines are the same, the less possible confusion during a match, the better, IMHO; 4)there ARE those witness holes in the back spine so you can easily see to what extent they're loaded...;5)even if you load them all with 11 rounds, it's easy enough between heats (or before) to flick one round out of them-or, alternatively, at the end of a heat, eject the used magazine, jack the slide and eject the chambered round out, and only then reload an 11 round magazine...So, I agree, be circumspect in whose advice you take, but carefully weigh your own needs as well-a little common sense will serve anyone well. (Of course, you could always get the "normal" capacity magazines, and just load 'em with 10 rounds-kind of amalgamating both Don's and my advice-to me, that's better than needlessly limiting yourself with the 10 round magazines with all their inherent limitations-the ones that I have I've relegated to my steel plate matches, where I'm limited to 6 rounds per magazine!) Additionally, and excellent (and inexpensive) book that I'd highly recommend is Robin Taylor's new edition of "The Glock In Competition." It has some excellent tips and recommendations, and a significant portion is devoted to GSSF, with some of the "Experten's" feedback and input.

Best, Jon

15. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

16. Don At PC

Jon;

I fully agree with using the standard(or hi-cap) mags as some folks refer to them. Just know the laws of the state where you will be shooting about them. As an example, New Jersey only allows Law Enforcement personnel to have mags that holds more than 15 rounds. Of course this is no problem with the G19 mags but does come into play if you were shooting a G17. I still personally feel the use of a stripper mag and load the other mags with 10 rounds is the best way for a new shooter especially to follow. This provides the least number of things to think about. Remember when the buzzer sounds many folks go brain dead with only shooting all the targets as fast as possible and that won't get you an overall win in GSSF. I would still suggest to take one of the 10 rounders that came with the G19 and paint the base plate to identify it as a stripper mag, and load his standard mags all with 10 rounds. Then he is good to go without counting rounds or witness holes. The stripper mag could be loaded with 5 or fully with 10 because it would normally only be used on the 1st string of fire to get 11 rounds loaded in the gun. He must also remember that he can only shoot 10 rounds total in the 5 to Glock stage. The Glock M and Plates he can use all 11 rounds on the steel only. All paper D-1's is limited to 2 rounds each on each string. ;) I think 99% of all experienced GSSF Shooters will agree with my advice but I will leave it to them to comment as they see fit. :beer:

17. Don At PC

OUCH Now I have a headache. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :faint:

18. Two-Gun Mary

Two-Gun Mary

I appreciate the comments each of you have made. I'm sure I'll understand them a LOT more after I've actually shot a GSSF meet.

My thought at the moment is that if I have EVERY mag loaded with 11 rounds and an empty gun, I will consistently start from the same place each time. It'll be easier, I think, to strip off a round or several to meet special needs than to always have to remember how many rounds to load into each mag.

Went to the range today and put 200 rounds thru my new G19 and a bit less thru the G27. The suprising thing is that there does not seem to be much different in accurary between the G19 and G27. I would have thought the shorter barrel of the 27 would make a significant difference.

Thanks again for all the hints.

19. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Two Gun
    Don't under estimate the accuracy of the subcompact Glocks! The all shoot VERY well!

Dan:cool:

20. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

10 rounds makes for the least chance for a mistake.

You don't have to think how many do I have to remove from this one to be LEGAL.

You only need 10 for the five to Glock, more shots is a 10 point penality for each shot.

There is no speed reload so ending up with the slide back and inserting a fresh mag is no disavantage.

On the other two stages you might need the alloted 11 rounds.

Like Don suggested use a stripper clip. (mark it)

You may only need it one time at each stage.

If you shoot the paper plate option you only get 6 shots any more is a 10 point penality each.