close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GSSF and ammo choice

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BK94, Jul 24, 2011.

1. BK94

BK94

Feb 3, 2011
    Ohio
    I have been shooting 115 WWB 9mm from wal mart for the GSSF matches, Works well.

What do you guys use?
    Do you use reloads and what loads are they?

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    i roll my own, if i were to buy ammo it'd be Atlanta Arms.

3. mikey357

mikey357 CLM

Jan 11, 2002
    Griffin, GA
    I USUALLY use CCI Blazer--in the Al cases--or WWB or Rem. UMC...all in the 115-gr. bullet weight, BTW....mikey357

4. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    WWB 115gr for my 9mm's and WWB 180gr for my 40's.

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Reloads only. A 147gr bullet has way less muzzle flip than does 115gr. I can reload 1000 of them for $125.00

Last I looked at Walmart prices... a 100-count box of wwb was $24.xx. That's $260'ish per 1000. No thanks.

6. whiskerz

whiskerz

Mar 30, 2000
    ,ga. usa
    Me and a couple of my friends use CCI Blazer Aluminum 124's they seem to do a nice job on the steel and are plenty capable of winning scores . Not to mention you don't feel bad about losing the brass.

7. mikey357

mikey357 CLM

Jan 11, 2002
    Griffin, GA
    While that MAY be true, when I run 147's, it feels like the Slide--esp. on the G-34 and 17L--is running in SLOOWWW Motion...the 115's are a lil' "Snappier", but I don't feel like I'm WAITING on the Slide to go into battery...YMMV, of course....mikey357

8. My first ever competition will be the GSSF in Richmond, CA end of Aug. I have a bunch of 147gr American Eagle flatpoint that have worked well in practice.

Anyone else have experience with this load? I got it $249 shipped from ammoman.

9. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Hmmmm... interesting point.

Guess somebody should tell Sevigny (or any/all pros that shoot Glocks) he should switch to 115s so he wouldn't have to wait on the slide? They all shoot the G34s when shooting 9mm. And the vast majority shoot heavier bullets.

Okay... sarcasm aside, I have a hard time believing you *truly* are "waiting on the slide" for your next shot. If there was something about heavier bullets that slowed a shooter down, you can imagine the top shooters would NOT be shooting them. They have one thing in mind... it's speed, speed, more speed. If they're getting the job done with 34s and 147gr bullets, you can imagine that's because it's the fastest combination available for them.

That's fact, not perception. Maybe you just need more time shooting the 147s to get used to the feeling?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  10. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    while I do use some reloads when available or needed (my home club has certain resrticitions on types of ammo for various types of targets) I use whatever 115gr fmj I can find and I'm usually in the top 10 finishes in each category I shoot. I use a lot of blazer because it is a lost brass match. Considering it is a glock sponsored event and they frown on reloads as voiding the warranty, I stick with factory for gssf. last thing I bought was a deal off gunbroker for 500 rounds of winchester range ammo- comes in a500 round case packed in just styrofoam trays no outer packaging. got it for under 8 bucks a box shipped. couldn't even reload with a jacketed bullet much cheaper.

11. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Using PD 147gr bullets, my reloads are 6.33 per box of 50. $126.xx per 1000. When you shoot 1500 rounds a month... that $50 difference adds up.

(Math:
    1500 rounds a month is 30 boxes of 50-count rounds.
    Poster quoted $8 a box, my cost is $6.33 a box for $1.67 savings per box.
    30 boxes x $1.67 savings = $50.10 savings per month)

The "frowning on reloads to void warranty" is a company policy, every gun manufacturer says that to protect themselves. Reality? If you shoot *A LOT* and are not rich... you're going to start shooting reloads.

12. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Exactly. Team Glock shoots reloads loaded for them by Atlanta Arms & Ammo.

13. mikey357

mikey357 CLM

Jan 11, 2002
    Griffin, GA
    Okay, maybe YOU should RE-READ my post...I said it "Feels Like" I'm waiting on the Slide to RTB...kind of a "Perception" or "Feel" thing...I never said that I was "Outrunning The Gun"...Understand the DIFFERENCE???

As far as Dave S. goes, I am fortunate enough to get to shoot with him several times a year...he actually started out using 115-gr. bullets, but went to the 147's because of their SUBSONIC Nature...works better on "Steel" as it gives him more usable "Auditory Feedback" on the PLATES on the RARE occasions he doesn't trust his "Read" of the SIGHTS...I'll hafta' inquire which "Recoil Impulse" he prefers...

BTW, I have a good friend whose SON is an EXCELLENT USPSA Production shooter--I think he's up to "A" Class @ 17 years of age--and is ALREADY a "Master Class" GSSF Shooter...last I knew, HE had gone BACK TO 115-gr. bullets FROM the 147's because he likes the way the gun "Tracks" better w/the lighter, faster bullets...there MIGHT be something to it, after all...or maybe not...all I know is, I LIKE the 115's better...and since I'm "Paying The Freight", that's what I'll continue to use...YMMV, of course....mikey357

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  14. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    i went from 147s to 115s and ordered a cse of 147s for next year. not really sure one is better than the other and can't say why but i like the 147s. my 115s were so light it isn't fair to say recoil is more or less. my 147 make minor.

15. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    The WWB 115gr you are shooting is exactly what I shoot in my G34 racegun. It has enough pressure to cycle the slide with my 3 port carver comp. installed (no easy task for factory ammo) and it seems to be extremely accurate. Alot of people don't reload so don't listen to all that hype. Reloads are definitely better for tuning a round to your gun and saving money but until you get to the 250 rounds a week area you won't really benefit financially anyway. WWB doesn't cost that much. Check out the prices that Natchez Shooters Supply has. $10.99 a box. However I have went long past the 250 rounds per week and I am looking to start reloading soon. But until then WWB it is!!!

16. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    while some top of the heap shooters (gssf masters that are in the top 3 at every event in every category) may notice differences in ammo performance, based on the level of accuracy needed for gssf, the rest of us are not going to notice a difference. A lot of these sorts of discussions get to bit a whole lot of chasing our tail instead of just shooting.
    While I agree you can save money reloading and most if not all the high volume shooters do it, I shoot around 1K a month and can find the extra cash for factory- if nothing else but to eliminate a possible variable if my gun doesn't perform (it has never given me a problem not traced to the trigger puller-me)

17. whmaxwell

whmaxwell

Apr 1, 2011
    I use Hornaby Steel Match 125gr for GSSF... that stuff kicks butt and the price is relatively good (for match grade ammo)

18. whmaxwell

whmaxwell

Apr 1, 2011
    I'm pretty sure those aren't reloads, at least that is what I have heard from local vendors. AA&A makes "new" ammo as well as reloads.

19. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Team Glock shoots reloads. This is coming from team members themselves.