close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Griptape Trick/Customization How To!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by IMTHESKI, Mar 12, 2012.

1. IMTHESKI

IMTHESKI

Back in the 80's it was pretty popular to add artwork to the tops of our skateboards. We would draw various pictures, band names, skateboard company logos and pro skaters names. If we took our time and used new chalk with sharp edges it would come out looking pretty good. Only downside was it was chalk and would rub off onto our clothes and the image would be smeared. Then some of the older skaters in our area taught us a trick that prevented all of those problems and permanently sealed the chalk onto our decks. The solution, simple hairspray. To customize your Griptape just draw whatever you want. Could be a logo, pattern or any other design of your choosing. The spray over it with hairspray and let dry. I never did find a way to get it off after it has been sprayed. It withstood the punishment of all the foot traffic, water and jeans from sitting on it. Not sure if anyone here would be interested in trying this, just wanted to get the info out there if so. I do recommend trying it on an extra piece of Griptape first to make sure the brand of hairspray you use doesn't turn out sticky.

2. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Don't know that I'd want to do that to one of my guns but I'd sure be interested in pictures of your skateboards if you have any.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

3. IMTHESKI

IMTHESKI

I don't have any pics of my old ones. I did go through a sentimental period in life and bought a bunch to hang on the wall. I collect the old Powell Peralta's. Have originals of Mike McGill, the bug team deck and freestyle decks for Kevin Harris and Rodney Mullen. Then a bunch of the re-issues. Some are Steve Caballero, Mike Vallely and Mike McGill. Post a pic in a few and I'll try to find some online of the chalk.

4. IMTHESKI

IMTHESKI

Here is a pic of my original issue Powell Peralta decks. L-R.. 1. bug team deck(was going to be be Mike V's deck but he hated it). 2. Mike Mcgill. 3. Per Wellinder-freestyle. 4. Rodney Mullen. Can't find the pic of the Kevin Harris deck.
    [​IMG]

Here is an example of the chalk. It isn't the best example but gives an idea. I doubt there are very many pictures of decent ones out there. This fad ended long before the time when everyone had a camera and the internet.
    [​IMG]

5. fonzy1

fonzy1

6. Meathead9

Meathead9

I always dug those McGill & Per Wellinder graphics. I think the Driller Killer is probably my all time favorite.

You don't happen to know Grime do you?

7. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

That's awesome.

I was on skateboards before they had plastic wheels. My first was actually a 2X6 with metal wheels nailed on.

I also remember watching some of the guys coming down a hill near where I lived and going around the corner doing handstands but I was never that good.

The board with the chalk on the left is my favorite.

Thanks for sharing. :wavey:

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  8. IMTHESKI

IMTHESKI

I don't. Member here?

If I decide to go the griptape route and do add anything to it I will post pics. I might add griptape to my G34 in the future. I would like to have a solid grip and do not want to stipple it. I think it reduces the value of the gun and like the fact that if I ever had to I could sell them to get money. Even though the truth is I would rather eat Top Ramen every meal for a few months than sell any of my HK's or Glocks. Well, the NIB OD G27 might be going away soon but that is only because I would much rather own a G17L, G24 or G35.

9. Rustin

Rustin

That's awesome. I skated for years, starting back in 2000 at the age of twelve. I hate to sound corny, but it was a way of life. It kept me out of trouble and helped me to meet great people. Most people just see a parking lot or a street corner but I saw so much more.We just used paint marker to draw on our grip tape and it would usually stay. It would be funny to see that trend move over to Glocks.

10. IMTHESKI

IMTHESKI

Who knows? Just look at duracoat and how that caught on. It is pretty hard to get fine lines using chalk or paint markers with the texture of the tape. Airbrush maybe? I might have to stop by an art store and see what kind of things they have there. The pre-cut tape is pretty cheap, worth trying just for fun.