close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Grips

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by HotRoderX, Jun 1, 2011.

1. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    I been looking for new grips for my 1911. There isnt anything wrong with the factor grips except there smooth. I want something with a little more grip so when I get sweaty I aint gotta worry. I am currently looking at 4 diffrent sets.

I like These are made by Cylinder and Slides. There Dymondwood I think they look pretty good and there cheap at 39.99

[​IMG]

These are VZ Grips Double Diamond which are nice but almost double what Cylinder and slides grips cost 69.55

[​IMG]

This set is also VZ grips and I really like the colors and the Punisher symbol but two things come to mind. One if I ever have to use the gun for SD how is the punisher symbol gonna be viewed. Two I dont wanna look like a mall ninja I aint. These would cost 74.90

[​IMG]

Finally set of grips by Esmeralda Obviously these are the most expensive and the nicest of the 4 sets but I worry about whats written on them if the gun was ever used for SD. I also think does a RIA 1911 really deserve to wear something so nice. These are 99 dollars and there currently sold out so I am guessing I could contact her about a pair.

[​IMG]

I really like all 4 sets and if I had the money I get all 4 but that's not possible. So what do you guys think what would you go with and how quality are the Cylinder and Slide grips since there the cheapest of the bunch.

2. atakawow

atakawow

Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Go with something practical. If you want grippy grips, VZ and nothing else. Stay away from woods.

Definitely not those Esmerelda. I can't justify spending $100 for "looks" on a $400 pistol. Like hanging a Van Gogh in a ghetto apartment. A big disrespect for the artist.

I love shooting my RIA. No need for fancy grips on mine, a couple pieces of skateboard tape and it is good to go.

3. Grips are always personal. If you do sweat a lot, then those double-diamond VZ's might not do it for you. Look into their Recon grips.

4. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Get the Punisher grips so we can make fun of you. :rofl:

VZs are a good choice. Also check out Ahrends and Raasco. If you want a great looking set of grips that work extremely well, check out Larry Davidson's Horned Lizards.

5. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

Jul 22, 2005
    Rigby, Idaho
    Take a look at Altamont grips. They produce some beautiful grips and they won't break the bank. www.altamontco.com

Not double diamonds, but here's a set I bought from them.

[​IMG]

6. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I prefer checked wood grips over any other.

7. Oaklane

Oaklane

Feb 6, 2011
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Raasco makes some quality stuff for a good price

8. nolt

nolt DONT PANIC!

Aug 4, 2009
    *cough*LarryD*cough*

not trying to be argumentative just sayin... (i do have some VZs that Larry doesnt offer)
    fwiw i agree i like my grips gippy and G10 does it for me.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  9. Mohawk Grenade

Mohawk Grenade

Jul 16, 2010
    VZ Operator grips are super grippy, I also like the thin grips from VZ on my TRS.

10. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    For the most part, I have wood on everything.
    From Walnut, Goncalo, rosewood, cocobolo, to laminate grips
    I really like the Altamont double diamond rosewood laminate grips.
    They are hard as hell, and stand up well.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  11. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Write in vote for Gunner grips.

I love the way my Pro looks with Horned Lizards but I put a set of Gunners on it for work and the difference is obvious.

They are the grippiest you can go.

http://www.simonichknives.com/gunner.htm

They sell them for $65 shipped. They look grey when you first put them on but once they have a mix of CLP, blood, sweat and lead on them, they turn black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  12. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

:animlol:

I just laugh at his grammar. :)

13. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Altamonts are nice. I put a set on my PC. Didn't like Doug Koenigs advertising grips; it's not his pistol. :supergrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. doc540

doc540

Apr 25, 2007
    Deep SE Texas
    Depends on your primary purpose.

Range/match grips may not be the best carry grips and neither one of those may be the prettiest.

I took a chance on VZ Operator II's for my range/match gun, and they get the job done.

The jury's still out though on the issue of using them as carry grips, especially in a CC holster and without an undershirt.

not as pretty as Spegel's, but....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I get micarta/G10 grips from Larry Davidson, I get wood grips, from Esmeralda.

16. G27RR

G27RR

Oct 11, 2010
    Texas
    What he said.

Davidson G10 grips:
    Black & tan Wyrms
    [​IMG]

Black Wyrms
    [​IMG]

Horned Lizards
    [​IMG]

Esmeralda cocobolo grips:
    Personalized set she made at my request.
    [​IMG]

Another set, with some carry wear...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  17. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.