close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Grip Reductions - Who does a good job?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by graycrait, Nov 28, 2007.

1. graycrait

graycrait
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking about having 2 of my Glocks' grips reduced. Who does good jobs, at what price and how long is turn around? I may end up doing 3 more if the first ones work out.

Craig

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. mballai

mballai
    Expand Collapse

3. Joe D

Joe D
    Expand Collapse

4. Jim Watson

Jim Watson
    Expand Collapse

What does that do to the grip ANGLE?
    Obviously it doesn't change the frontstrap but does taking the rear hump down have the effect of straightening the grip? I have been shooting 1911s too long to change to a Lugeroid slant but think the Glock has 20 years development and debugging lead over the other plastic pistols.

5. graycrait

graycrait
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tips. Like J Watson, I don't want to change an angle. The angles work well for me, it is just a matter of producing an easier to grasp grip with strength and to get about 1/8-1/4" more finger over the trigger.

6. brahmabull8413

brahmabull8413
    Expand Collapse

BowieTacticalConcepts is the best out there.

7. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49
    Expand Collapse

Check Corsicacoatings.com

8. GaryArkansas

GaryArkansas
    Expand Collapse

9. coverdog

coverdog
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

Fugly for sure, I think those are one of the worst looking reductions out there.

10. Bowtie

Bowtie
    Expand Collapse
    NRA MEMBER

Yeah no kidding.Robar's are the worst.

11. proraptor

proraptor
    Expand Collapse

glock worx

12. coverdog

coverdog
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

13. Bowtie

Bowtie
    Expand Collapse
    NRA MEMBER

Thanks bro.

14. coverdog

coverdog
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

15. Navy Gunner

Navy Gunner
    Expand Collapse

16. graycrait

graycrait
    Expand Collapse

Navy Gunner, I can do trigger jobs on a variety of guns and I make quality knife sheaths for myself and others, but I have never messed with "plastic." I guess the Acraglass bonds well with the Glock polymer? It seems that a grip reduction on a Glock really only changes the grip size and does nothing for trigger reach. Is that true? Or is there enough material in the Glock grip to decrease trigger reach?

17. Navy Gunner

Navy Gunner
    Expand Collapse

You will notice some change in the "feel" of trigger reach. I remove some material from the tang of the grip and I always radious the trigger guard at the frame junction - where your middle finger contacts it, as this always bothers me.

Overall though I can't give you an exact "improvement of reach" because I have a rather large hand and never worry about that.

I do grip reductions because I love Glock pistols but hate the way they fit my hand, to many years shooting 1911's with flat mainsprings housings. The great thing is that they ar plastic and you can change them to really fit your need.

I don't think you would be sorry as the gun will just fit you better and you probably will be able to reach the trigger with greater ease.

Just remember the frame filling step is VERY important, that is about the only thing you can't fix if you mess it up. I use regular old play-dough and mash it in really good. Let what ever epoxy you use dry really well and then start to "carve" your Glock to your hand. When you are done you cover the work with bed-liner let dry and shoot. I have done 5 of them with Lok-tite marine epoxy from Lowes and it has stood up very well. That being said the future jobs will be done with the Brownells Acraglass.

Good luck.

18. graycrait

graycrait
    Expand Collapse

Navy Gunner,

When you radius the trigger guard at the frame junction this really is just "carving" the original Glock plastic isn't it. What do you use to do the carving? Dremel or dowel with sandpaper wrapped around it or .....?

What you re saying makes a lot of sense if I knew that the integrity of the Glock polymer was maintained in enough strength to withstand a lot of shooting. I was looking at pics of the CCF frames and where your index lies along the grip reaching for the rigger the "groove" looks a little deeper than a stock Glock.

I've adapted fine to the stock 9mm Glocks but would like to see them feel more like a scapel in my hand rather than coffin handled bowie. After making knife sheaths for some time for a custom knife maker I designed what I thought was the most useful ergonomic everyday using knife and had it made by a fella in Georgia. So, I do like to look at a tool and see if I can make it fit me better. I like the Glock and nearly everything about it in its now "mature" state of production. However, I would like it to fit just a bit better. I would love to make my wife's G26 fit her so that she actually liked shooting it.

I just don't trust a lot of other guns the way I do Glocks, but sure wish they would make a pistol that would fit smaller hands besides the G36 - and the G36 seems a bit different from other Glocks in terms of overall reliability.

I guess I will take a G26, we have 2, and give it a try. Then maybe I'll get a used G30 and do something to that.

Craig

19. mballai

mballai
    Expand Collapse

Simply removing the finger grooves and the checkering does amazing things. That's a surprising amount of material. I now prefer to thin the entire trigger guard as this gets more of your hands up higher on the gun and you can round out the front at the same time. Stipple to taste and enjoy.

20. Navy Gunner

Navy Gunner
    Expand Collapse

On the back of the grip I start removing material using a dremel and progress to hand sanding with various grits.

When working with the trigger guard I use a round file - good control - and then finish it with sand paper and the ol finger.

It is fairly easy to get material off and you must resist the urge to go to fast. In the small areas avoid the dremel.