close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

grip reduction

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by hotloogy, Jul 29, 2012.

1. hotloogy

hotloogy

has anyone ever had a grip reduction done to the glock. I recently trimmed down my trigger guard but now im looking into the grip reduction.

2. 1108VA

1108VA

I haven't had any done yet but I have been admiring the work of Bowie Tactical Concepts. I am seriously considering sending him a Glock to work on. Good luck.

3. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

I reduced the hump on my G19 using heat..
    Now it fits my little-girl hands as if it were custom-made for me.
    Best 75 cents I ever spent...

4. XD Joe

XD Joe

Atlas, please explain how did you do your grip reduction.

5. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

As quite a few others here have also done...

I used a candle.

a) Remove the magazine, check the pistol is unloaded, and remove the slide.

b) Hold the pistol well above the candle flame, pointing it upwards so the backstrap is facing down towards the flame.

c) Start with the pistol high enough that the flame barely warms the backstrap.

d) Moving the pistol back and forth above the flame, begin to lower the pistol.

e) Continue to lower the pistol slowly, look for the height where the flame just begins to heat the plastic so that it's very warm to the touch.

f) Continue to move the pistol back and forth above the flame to spread the heat over the entire lower backstrap.

g) Periodically remove the pistol from above the flame and press the backstrap down against a countertop or other hard surface.

h) repeat the above until you succeed pressing the hump in the backstrap out flat to whatever degree you wish, just a little or totally flat.

This procedure is really very simple, just take your time to avoid overheating and damaging the pistol.

Notice, others here have done this with no deformation of the surface finish of the blackstrap. On my G19 the plastic surface (of only the lower backstrap) was deformed, so the striations/checkering were flattened.

It was very localized and for me is only cosmetic, no big deal at all. Others may feel differently.

I plan to use sandpaper to smooth it and then a sharp-pointed soldering iron or Dremel bit to stipple it in that spot.

As a precaution I disassembled a magazine, and stuffed a strip of wet sponge in the mag. I put the magazine with the wet sponge into the freezer overnight. Then before beginning the heat treatment I inserted the frozen magazine. I did this of course to ensure that I didn't deform the pistol grip and magazine well.
    This was not really necessary, and others here have performed this procedure without using the frozen magazine..

6. XD Joe

XD Joe

Wow! That makes sense! I also have small hands. I have just one more question. When you press down on the backstrap, do you press straight down, or do you use a rolling motion to keep the backstrap round?

7. RUT

RUT

8. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

I rolled it back and forth a little..
    Thing is, you won't be heating it to a temperature high enough to make it really soft..
    You need to go very gradually with this.
    You're trying for just hot enough to make the plastic slightly deformable.. That is, I had to press it against the table-top seven or eight times to achieve just a little reduction in the hump. I still have a little hump, the backstrap isn't quite flat.

So I had to roll it a bit just to see any results.

When you get it just hot enough to try pressing it to the table, it'll begin to cool and so become firmer very quickly when you remove it from above the flame.
    So, heat slowly, press against the table, heat again, press again. and so forth.
    It's the conservative, safe approach to avoid damaging the grip.

Its really easy to do, but proceed with caution.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  9. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

[​IMG]

I would suggest a Dremel but it probably won't fit your hand and you would have to send it off to someone for a grip reduction before you could work on your Glock! :animlol:

10. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

:cool:
    I have a better suggestion for your Dremel tool...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  11. bustedknee

Git rid of that sissy candle, git yourself a Dremel.

12. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

What the hell man???

I have two Dremels, and every other power-tool I'll ever want as well.

The candle did exactly what I wanted, with no damage to the grip.
    Perhaps you missed the part I posted above where I stated that the gun now fits my hand perfectly?

13. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Actual reduction done by gripreduction.com

[​IMG]

14. bustedknee

But do they fit your hand?

I'm worried about you.

15. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

............................................................................................
    ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................