Glock Talk banner

Grip Extension on G26 - Yes or No?

13K views 47 replies 38 participants last post by  RonS 
#1 ·
Who uses grip extenders on their G26 magazines? Do you find them necessary or do you just prefer the stock flush floor plate?

I'm considering adding a G26 for another carry option. Currently its either a snub (LCR) or G17 so something to go in between those two in terms of size/capacity would be nice.

My concern is basically "needing" the grip extenders to have good control, but then having ability to conceal being hindered.

I suppose draw is easier with extenders as well. But then with the extenders, going to the G19 might not be much more of a step up, and you get the extra 5 rounds.

Insight is appreciated :cool:

#4 · (Edited)
I've had a Glock 26 since 2005. For five and a half of those years it has been my only daily carry gun. I have a stock flush fitting 10 round mag, one with the GAP ledge that was linked above, a +0 Pearce pinky extension and a +2. I also have plenty of 15 and 17 round magazines (and a G19 I've had since 2009).

I primarily carry with the +0 extension, but I do often use the GAP baseplate from concealablecontrol as well. The most noticeable difference I see is in the draw, although follow up shots do seem to be faster (haven't tested enough with the timer to quantify it).

This inevitably turns into a discussion about "why put an extension on a sub compact instead of just getting a compact?".

Well, in my (extensive) experience, a sub (like a G26) with a +0 pinky extension carries/conceals better than a compact (like a G19). It's very easy to grow a sub, but not so easy to shrink a compact.

Bottom line:
If I could only have one gun, it would be a Glock 26. For my birthday later this year I am fairly certain I will be getting a second Glock 26. The G19 is nice, but it cannot do what the G26 can...while the G26 can (basically) do what the G19 does.

#5 ·
I've had a Glock 26 since 2005. For five and a half of those years it has been my only daily carry gun. I have a stock flush fitting 10 round mag, one with the GAP ledge that was linked above, a +0 Pearce pinky extension and a +2. I also have plenty of 15 and 17 round magazines (and a G19 I've had since 2009).

I primarily carry with the +0 extension, but I do often use the GAP baseplate from concealablecontrol as well. The most noticeable difference I see is in the draw, although follow up shots do seem to be faster (haven't tested enough with the timer to quantify it).

This inevitably turns into a discussion about "why put an extension on a sub compact instead of just getting a compact?".

Well, in my (extensive) experience, a sub (like a G26) with a +0 pinky extension carries/conceals better than a compact (like a G19). It's very easy to grow a sub, but not so easy to shrink a compact.

Bottom line:
If I could only have one gun, it would be a Glock 26. For my birthday later this year I am fairly certain I will be getting a second Glock 26.
Perfect post

#7 · (Edited)
I totally agree that the grip extensions are not needed to control the g26.

I do carry mine with the 10 round mag and the gap floor plate for a more secure draw.

I also carry (2) spare magazines on my week side; either (2) 10 round Mag's with the +2 grip extension or (2) GLOCK 19 Mag's with the xgrip sleave, but that is only for higher round counts for reloads......not for added control.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
I should specify...I never carry with the stock flush 10 round magazine any more. I haven't for a long time. As soon as I tried those GAP floor plates they took the place of the flush mags. I personally see no reason at all to carry with the stock regular flush plate when you can go with the GAP plate instead.

And I checked my mags, I don't have any with the stock baseplate anymore. They all have GAP plates now. Or a +0 pinky extension or a +2.

#16 ·
I use Pierce +0 extensions once-in-a-while, but most of the time, I use the flush mag. When my GAP floorplates arrive, I have a feeling I'll be using them all of the time.

For me, the +0 extensions are concealable, but I prefer to carry at 3:00, and they poke out just a hair. They don't offer very much in the way of retention during the draw, so I generally don't bother using them. I just carry my 19 if I want a bigger grip.

#17 · (Edited)
I bought my safe queen g26 used from a friend. It already had pearce extension grips on the mags. I'm sure I'd have no problem shooting it without them on there, but I will say I do like them, and have no plans of removing them. They really do not play a part in trying to CC the pistol.
Being that they were on there when I got the pistol I always forget they were an add on accessory.

#20 ·
I use the Pearce PG 2733 +1 floorplates on my G26. Supposed to be +1 for the G27 and G33, +2 on the G26, but I have to force (using an UpLULA) the 12th round into the magazine, so I carry with 11.

LOL Yea that's another feature I always took for granted and never give much thought when using the Pearce extension grips. +1 capability. I never even tried to put the 12 th round in the mag.. Thought it might be putting a little to much pressure on the mag spring. 11+1 in a pistol the size of a g26 isn't bad.

#21 ·
The G26 is such a soft shooter that i came to the realization that the pinky finger is way over rated and totally unnecessary for good marksmanship.
Agreed. The pinky offers no advantage in grip. Try to grab something with your pinky and thumb, it's tough. It's just a matter of comfort for most. You lose all the advantage of a short grip by adding extensions that aren't needed. I Edc a g33 with a flush floor plate.

#22 ·
I have a Gen 4 G27 and bought the Pierce extensions for two of its magazines. I figured I'd use the extended mags most of the time but would use the flat floor plate mag when I really needed to conceal. I find now that I never carry with the extended mags. I shoot the gun just fine with the stock base plate and since my backup mag is a G23 mag, the extended base plate mags just don't get used any longer.

#23 ·
If you go with any + extensions stick with the Glock factory extension. Tried some others but found the Glock OEM were the best. My opinion of course.
What Glock extension do you prefer, and why? What other extensions did you try and why/how did you find them to be less desirable?

#25 ·

Bottom line:
If I could only have one gun, it would be a Glock 26. For my birthday later this year I am fairly certain I will be getting a second Glock 26. The G19 is nice, but it cannot do what the G26 can...while the G26 can (basically) do what the G19 does.

Good post. I mostly prefer the stock flush mag, but I am going to start trying out the GAP floorplates. No extension is needed to effectively shoot the 26.

#26 ·
I wouldn't go out and buy all kinds of mag extensions until you find out for yourself wether or not you need them. It felt awkward at first to curl the pinky underneath but awkward or not my shooting was not affected. Now I am used to it.

That being said, I do have a couple mag extensions so that when I shoot IDPA with the G26 I can chamber a round and still have 10 in the mag. However, my subsequent reloads always use the flush 10 round mags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.