Glock Talk banner

Grip Extension on G26 - Yes or No?

13K views 47 replies 38 participants last post by  RonS 
#1 ·
Who uses grip extenders on their G26 magazines? Do you find them necessary or do you just prefer the stock flush floor plate?

I'm considering adding a G26 for another carry option. Currently its either a snub (LCR) or G17 so something to go in between those two in terms of size/capacity would be nice.

My concern is basically "needing" the grip extenders to have good control, but then having ability to conceal being hindered.

I suppose draw is easier with extenders as well. But then with the extenders, going to the G19 might not be much more of a step up, and you get the extra 5 rounds.

Insight is appreciated :cool:

#27 ·
I have huge hands, but my two favorite pistols are the OM 1911, and the G26.

I have not problem with control with either pistol. I prefer the flush floorplate on the G26. and if if I think I'll be in a bad neighborhood I carry extra G17 mags.

But what works for me may not work for you.

#29 ·
When I first got my 26, I tried the Pierce extension and it pinched the fluffy rainbow bunny out of my finger every time the gun fired. Then (as people mentioned above) I realized that it's not needed. When I need a spare mag, I carry a 17 or 19.

I may try the Gap plate sometime though, to help with the draw.

#30 ·
I tried the Pearce +0 extensions on my first 26 for a few months. I determined that I shoot better with the stock flat base plates so I sent the Pearce to my friend in Utah, now deceased, who had a 27. He really liked them.

Bottom line:
If I could only have one gun, it would be a Glock 26. For my birthday later this year I am fairly certain I will be getting a second Glock 26. The G19 is nice, but it cannot do what the G26 can...while the G26 can (basically) do what the G19 does.
Good idea Warp. I bought my spare 26 in Nov 2007 and like having it. I have only put 600 or 700 rounds through it to confirm function so it is still very new looking. :wavey:

#31 ·
I tried the Pearce +0 extensions on my first 26 for a few months. I determined that I shoot better with the stock flat base plates so I sent the Pearce to my friend in Utah, now deceased, who had a 27. He really liked them.

Good idea Warp. I bought my spare 26 in Nov 2007 and like having it. I have only put 600 or 700 rounds through it to confirm function so it is still very new looking. :wavey:
Or your could get a G19 and cut the grip down to fit the G26 mags. haha.

#32 ·
Or your could get a G19 and cut the grip down to fit the G26 mags. haha.
:supergrin: I have put my 19 upper on my 26 just to check it out and I know some people have gone the route you mention. I am too used to the 26 OR the 19 for the hybrid to work for me.

#33 ·
:supergrin: I have put my 19 upper on my 26 just to check it out and I know some people have gone the route you mention. I am too used to the 26 OR the 19 for the hybrid to work for me.

Yeah, a grip reduction (grip chop) isn't for everyone. I am SUPER glad I did it thought. No regrets. the 19 on the 26 frame always looked weird to me. haha

#34 ·
When I first got my 26, I tried the Pierce extension and it pinched the fluffy rainbow bunny out of my finger every time the gun fired. Then (as people mentioned above) I realized that it's not needed. When I need a spare mag, I carry a 17 or 19.

I may try the Gap plate sometime though, to help with the draw.
Hey--that is NOT what I said! :rofl:

#35 ·
Lots of good comments on mag extensions and I agree with them all regarding a bit easier draw, especially with the X-Grip adapter on a G19 magazine for IDPA matches, home defense, car defense, etc. For 90% of my needs I can easily carry with a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment in horsehide no one is the wiser in Arizona or other hot climates even with shorts and t-shirts or golf shirts. I've even been known to tuck those shirts and as long as I use the flush magazine or GAP baseplate, I feel very discreet.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the shorter barrel makes a HUGE difference to me in terms of comfort when sitting compared to a G19 or G23. Much less likely to have the barrel digging in to the top of your thigh.

Another very big advantage is the (apparently) inherent accuracy advantages of the G26 over all other 9mm Glocks. I read about it in the 2012 edition of The Complete Book of Handguns edited by Massad Ayoob and published by Harris Outdoors and it has proven itself many times over since I picked up my Gen 4 Model 26 last fall. I even made Expert in the SSP division of the IDPA Classifier in March and shot the 20-yard strings better than I'd ever done with larger Glocks.

You can't go wrong with a G26. It's now my ONLY gun and I have never felt better about my self defense situation.

#36 ·
I have some kind of extender on all of my G26 magazines. I find that they give me a better grip and subsequently more confidence in my draw, which is the first step to selecting an appropriate target and (ultimately) landing a good shot. You don't want to fumble your draw in SHTF situation. It would be all downhill from there, IMO.

I prefer Pearce extenders. I don't find that they make that much of a difference in the concealability of my G26. I'm pocket carrying one with a +3 extender in a Desantis Nemesis right now.

#37 · (Edited)
It really just comes down to personal preference. Some like them, some don't. I use Pearce +1 extensions on mine. I just like the full grip feeling to shoot. I measured it. It doesn't really add more than about 1/2 an inch to the size of the pistol, so it's still pretty concealing.

#38 ·
I've had a Glock 26 since 2005. For five and a half of those years it has been my only daily carry gun. I have a stock flush fitting 10 round mag, one with the GAP ledge that was linked above, a +0 Pearce pinky extension and a +2. I also have plenty of 15 and 17 round magazines (and a G19 I've had since 2009).

I primarily carry with the +0 extension, but I do often use the GAP baseplate from concealablecontrol as well. The most noticeable difference I see is in the draw, although follow up shots do seem to be faster (haven't tested enough with the timer to quantify it).

This inevitably turns into a discussion about "why put an extension on a sub compact instead of just getting a compact?".

Well, in my (extensive) experience, a sub (like a G26) with a +0 pinky extension carries/conceals better than a compact (like a G19). It's very easy to grow a sub, but not so easy to shrink a compact.

Bottom line:
If I could only have one gun, it would be a Glock 26. For my birthday later this year I am fairly certain I will be getting a second Glock 26. The G19 is nice, but it cannot do what the G26 can...while the G26 can (basically) do what the G19 does.
Well stated.

I carry a G26 or a G27 depending on how I feel that day. I use extensions on both for the same reasons you pointed out.

#40 ·
I put a Pearce +0 on one mag and went to the range. Liked it so much I went back to the shop and got another one.

The pinky doesn't really do anything, but the feel is much better with it resting on the extension.

#45 · (Edited)
If you need the 12 rd extensions when you carry, then just carry a G19 instead
of the 26.
I respectfully disagree. For me, I find the Pearce +1 magazine extension conceals just as well as the flat magazine floorplate, because there is no additional length added to the heel of the grip by the Pearce.

The Glock +2 floorplate does add length to the heel of the grip, making it harder to conceal than the Pearce, but it still is shorter than a G19 grip.

#46 ·
OK, I use Glock part 7151 (+) baseplates on my spare mags(s) and carry flush with either my G-27 (EDC) or G-26 (Glove box gun). However I have the old 2.5 Gen smooth frame Glocks the 7151 (+) extensions were made for. I know they work on Gen 3's and 4's mags as well. Glock should add the cross checkering to the + bottom face to match the newer pistol designs. For those type Glocks I would match them up with a Pierce, Scheer checkering on their + bottoms is too big, but they work too. Have never tried the GAP.

#47 · (Edited)
I vote no extension. I'm new to the 26 (and this site) and have been trying to decide how I want my mags set up. I put 300 rounds through my 26 yesterday using one mag with an extension, one mag with the GAP floor plate one mag with the stock floorplate and one 17 mag with a grip sleeve. For me it broke down like this -

Mag with extension - pinched my hand with every shot and really didn't feel right.

Mag with GAP floorplate - I really liked it. No discomfort and it made my grip feel very solid.

Mag with stock floorplate - Felt O.K. not bad, not great.

17 mag with sleeve - Not bad, not good...just o.k. Not really any better or worse than just using a 17 mag with no grip sleeve.

Needless to say I just ordered more GAP floorplates.

#48 ·
I bought three 12 round mags when I bought my G26 because with the gun empty and standing at the counter I thought I would need them. I just shot the plates at a GSSF event and used one 10 and three 12 round mags and cleared the rack with the 10 rounder with no extra shots. Once the gun is loaded and I am shooting it I shoot the ten round flush mags just fine. Frankly the only downside I see is the difficulty seating them on the first try and getting that last round in. I plan to buy another 12 rounder for matches but I am no longer worried about control or accuracy with the flush mags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.