close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Green Tip- Coming Ban?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Littlemac, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Littlemac

Littlemac CLM

Mar 5, 2003
    Dallas
    I was at a Gun show in the DFW area this last week. Two dealers were selling 62 gr green tip .223 ammo- No big deal Maybe more dealers I don't know.

The two that caught my eye had hand drawn signs, stating that as of Feb 2012 that this steel core ammo would not be available to civilians any longer. Does anyone else have any info on this restriction?

2. freedom790

freedom790

Aug 10, 2008
    Cheyenne, WY
    Probably just looking to boost their sales. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen questionable business ethic at a gun show.

3. boone10

boone10 Glockeologist

Aug 7, 2011
    Alabama
    My shooting buddy told me just yesterday that he read where our armed forces are looking for even more penetration than the green tip can deliver. A new round has been developed with a steel tip and copper body (similar to a steel-tipped Barnes, I assume) and the 62 grain green tip will become obsolete. The new ammo will still be made in Lake City, but will cost up to 3 times as much to produce.

I have been seeing the green tip in ammo cans for sale in far more places than ever before over the past 3 or 4 months. I read where somebody bought a can at a Wal-Mart in Missouri recently. I don't shoot it that much, but will be looking to get another can or 2 just in case.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  4. txgunguy

txgunguy

Dec 14, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    That would be awesome! Surplus steel tipped 556!

5. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Thats a load of BS, just some prick sellers with a agenda.

I have seen some good prices on "Not for Duty Use" marked green tip for the last few months. I am guessing a bad lot that the military is dumping on civilians. Wonder how bad the ammo has to preform for this to happen. 1-5 in 1000 fail to fire or something?

6. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
    Typical gun show BS. Man, I hate those aholes.

7. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    or it fails the accuracy requirement, or there was a mistake in the production etc.

8. I have a case of that. If functions fine and its flawless. I thought Not for Duty Use was a note for police not to use it because it penetrates so well.

9. Think again Che, it's because it doesn't meet the reliability, or accuracy requirements to be issued as duty ammunition. It's a crap shoot whether it performs well or not.

10. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

Jul 15, 2010
    Biloxi, Mississippi
    In the last few years I have noticed more idiots selling at gun shows. They don't have a clue what they are talking most of the time and fill in their lack of knowledge with piles of BS.

11. I called up Federal and left a message so I'm wait and see what they have to say. I doubt they would sell inferior ammo to the civilian market.

12. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    natchez is having a sale, $300 for 1K rds i believe

13. Military/LEO ammo has a different quality standard then civilian ammunition. There are different contract standards. How often do you hear of problems with winchester white box ammunition compared to winchester ranger or other winchester self defense ammunition types?

14. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    I bet the bad ammo kills paper well enough.

15. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX

Yes and it'l piss off the owners of steel targets too!:whistling:

16. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

Mar 15, 2011
    Alabama
    +1 amen

17. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    Federal would not release ammo that was not safe to shoot.....too much liability. probably some minor issue at the Tax Payers expense, Mike.

18. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
    Not funny. I have a $120 idpa ar500 steel target that I bring to the range and you bet your a** if I caught a ahole shooting it with AP that he'd be buying my target.

19. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Really? Because my range allows M855 on steel targets.

They are not, after all, armor-piercing. Heck 7mm Mag Nosler Partitions will do a heck of a lot more damage to a steel plate.