Glock Talk banner

Greatest handgun ever made - H&K P7

34K views 242 replies 72 participants last post by  fnfalman 
#1 ·
I went to the range today with 3 pistols. G19, PPQ, and P7M8. I hadn't shot my P7 in a while, and I am glad I brought it along today. I had planned to split the 300 rounds I had evenly among the guns, but ended up shooting the majority of the ammo through the P7.

It fits in my hand so well, and I feel so connected with it. It is literally like made for me. I was totally reminded why I have 7 of them :)

Hands down, the greatest handgun I have ever shot.

#127 ·
Love it I want one dont know if I will ever be able to afford one...Honestly been thinking of selling my AK74 to fund a(one of any of these choices)

Decent 1911 (Springfield,remington,ruger,etc)

A HKP7 or some sort

Bolt action Varmint rifle or some sort with a decent scope

#128 ·
They are nice but would not say its the best or only 9mm worth owning. If it were they would still be manufactured today and not discontinued.

#131 ·
Frame heats up after a mag or two. Squeeze cocker is unusual and even dangerous if you use other pistols a lot.

Yes, it's a beautiful pistol and very ergonomic, but heavy and that "squeeze thing" definitely turned me off to buying one.

The P7 may be an icon, but so too is the German Luger that has been surpassed by dozens of following designs since.

#136 ·
#137 ·
I like my P7M8 ... Jubilee edition 1 of 500...
Really accurate, nice trigger, good for ccw

I don't like cleaning it and really don't like how it heats up fast in shooting.

I place many of my pistols above it for self defense. Great show and tell gun.

#138 · (Edited)
Much talk about the P7 heating up. I don't have that problem, but then again, I don't normally dump a lot of mags for that to happen.

Any gun could be argued is not the best for a specific scenario, but to rule out the P7 would be a mistake.

Also, cleaning doesn't seem to be a big deal. I ordered a special tool for scraping the piston tube. Not any harder than any other handgun I have....revolvers seem to be the most difficult and time consuming for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#140 ·
P7 is in my CCW rotation along with the Shield. I use an Andrews MacDaniel IWB leather rig and it works great on the P7. For what it's worth, the P7 is the only 9mm handgun my wife actually enjoys shooting and would consider carrying based on its inherent safety with one in the chamber. Many folks do not like the thought of one in the chamber (spare the comments about you might as well carry a rock, I understand) but a P7 by design provides piece of mind to those folks, including my wife.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#142 ·
My point also. For a collector the P7 is a dream; for someone looking for home defense or personal CCW carry there are many more effective options available without the negatives the P7 bring to the table.
Lol honestly lol...IF i get one its going right into the CC rotation tell me about these negatives :). And remember I often carry things from a Snubby to a 3" revolver to a Ruger SR9c(10 rounds) so im not ever worried nor do I consider 8 rounds a disadvantage..so please let me know the negatives :dunno:

#143 ·
P7 is in my CCW rotation along with the Shield. I use an Andrews MacDaniel IWB leather rig and it works great on the P7. For what it's worth, the P7 is the only 9mm handgun my wife actually enjoys shooting and would consider carrying based on its inherent safety with one in the chamber. Many folks do not like the thought of one in the chamber (spare the comments about you might as well carry a rock, I understand) but a P7 by design provides piece of mind to those folks, including my wife.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Agreed thats why I like it great safety system IMO.

#144 ·
I love the P7, but somehow it is just too weird and complicated for me. It's almost like I can't get used to it to become proficient. Take what I say with a grain of salt however, as I do not own one; I've only shot friends' guns.

#146 · (Edited)
If you owned one and got some practice with it, you would probably start to feel differently.
I agree, and I'll probably pick up one of the PSP versions at some point. Currently I just can't justify one as they are not the easiest to find, and they don't really do anything better than one of my other pistols. Once I start collecting more the P7 will definitely rank highly on my list of guns to buy.

I just think that in my case from my limited experience with the gun, there is no way I'd say it's the best handgun ever made. I'll take my semi-custom 1911 over a P7 any day. It seems a little overly complicated and heavy for a carry gun, it wouldn't be the best for competition because of the heat issue, and it can't compete for accuracy with the 1911s costing a similar price.

#147 ·
I agree, and I'll probably pick up one of the PSP versions at some point. Currently I just can't justify one as they are not the easiest to find, and they don't really do anything better than one of my other pistols. Once I start collecting more the P7 will definitely rank highly on my list of guns to buy.

I just think that in my case from my limited experience with the gun, there is no way I'd say it's the best handgun ever made. I'll take my semi-custom 1911 over a P7 any day. It seems a little overly complicated and heavy for a carry gun, it wouldn't be the best for competition because of the heat issue, and it can't compete for accuracy with the 1911s costing a similar price.
hoping HK realizes that they have an Icon design here and produces some new P7's - not unlike S&W new revolvers being produced. The P7 is a well thought out design and laser accurate - ya it gets hot, so slow down and focus on accuracy - I find it to be a great carry gun when you have just one moment to make the shot....

#149 ·
hoping HK realizes that they have an Icon design here and produces some new P7's - not unlike S&W new revolvers being produced. The P7 is a well thought out design and laser accurate - ya it gets hot, so slow down and focus on accuracy - I find it to be a great carry gun when you have just one moment to make the shot....
I doubt they will bring it back. Its a complicated design and many of the gunsmiths at HK that used to build them have retired.

#150 ·
When did the patent expire?

I wonder of they could protect something under trademark if they no longer produce it themselves?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.