Glock Talk banner

Great Weapon Lights at Wal-mart

32K views 103 replies 65 participants last post by  thesilverbullet 
#1 ·
So i visited my local wally world today, went there to pick up a few hundo rounds of WWB .40 cal.

While i was poking around i noticed they carry the Nebo PROTEC ELITE HP190.

I was cautious as i was looking at it, seeing as i have a TLR-1s, TLR-2/2s and a X300, and the Nebo is only $40 while the above mentioned are $300+.

But i figured if it sucked i could just return it so i pulled the trigger and took it home.

Stats:

190 lumens.
300ft Range
2 Hour run time
Water Resistant
Strobe mode!
Power: 1 CR123A Lithium battery.

So i got it home, took the scissors to the package and cracked it open.

Its made of sturdy aluminum, with thick rubber gaskets closing in all the internal parts.
It has a simple Right to left switch operation, Press the bar left and it turns on, press it right it turns off. If you press it left again within 4 seconds, it turns on the strobe. If you wait 4 seconds or more, it just turns on the light.

It connects to the weapon easily, There is a screw on the left side that you can tighten the light down onto your rail with, However once you have it set up, you just press down on the screw, plus the bolster on the right and the light slides right off the rail with little effort *much easier than a TLR model*

The battery is inserted in the front, by unscrewing the bulb housing. pretty simple.

It is very light weight and MAN is this thing bright, makes my TLR-2s look like a AA mag light. but then again 190 Lumens vs. 160 does make a large difference.

Overall for $40.........this is the best $40 light I have ever bought, well made, bright, turns on and off and has a strobe, what more can ya ask for :)

See less See more
#79 ·
I guess I should give an update...mine only lasted about 150 rounds before it bit the dust so I returned it for a refund. It was cheap for a reason.
Ditto...and only after about 25-30 rounds!

My problem...the unit kept coming loose when the weapon fired. With finger strength, I managed to strip the threads on the two knobs/screws (or possibly the threads on the softer aluminum body).

I was disappointed as I really liked the compact design and the brightnes of it.

#80 ·
Now that people have had them for a little while, how are they working/holding up to actual use?
See my post above. I could have have receivied a non-typical lemon but after examining the thumb screw knobs and light housing, it appears there is some very soft metal/aluminum involved.

I really liked the brightness but mine turned into a $40 pocket light.

Live and learn....

#81 ·
Ditto...and only after about 25-30 rounds!

My problem...the unit kept coming loose when the weapon fired. With finger strength, I managed to strip the threads on the two knobs/screws (or possibly the threads on the softer aluminum body).

I was disappointed as I really liked the compact design and the brightnes of it.
I haven't taken it apart yet, but I am hoping that if I strip the threads I could simply go to Home Depot and dig through the screws/bolts bin to find something to replace it.

#86 ·
I took the light apart this evening. I am 100% sure that if the OEM screws strip out on me, there is a away to retrofit a beefier screw on to the light. Thats an easy thing to fix...
Ok everyone... I came up with a really good solution. My threads never failed on me since I have only had it for 3 days. The threads definitely looked weak to me so I decided to sacrifice my light in hopes of coming up with a good fix.

Take it apart and pull out the hinged piece that is spring loaded. You will need a good angle grinder to make room for the new screw. Here is a picture of how much I needed to grind off:

The next step is to cut the upper spring back:

Here it is all put back together:

Then make a trip to Home Depot. I picked this up but I don't remember what dimension it is! I think its a 8/32 x 1 1/4" screw. Just take your tactical light with you and find something that will fit:

Now put it all back together. It takes a little more work to get it on. But man this thing isn't going ANYWHERE!

Don't give up on this little light! I am really happy with the way it turned out and I hope this helps someone else out. BTW I want to paint the brass nut on the other side but no big deal.

Joshua

#87 ·
#90 ·
Dude you can find tlr1s for 89.99 on sale. And they are proven. Not a peice of **** like the nebos. I have tried 2. Both were retuerned for refunds as they failed on me. Plus who the hell will make a holster with a nebo !

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#91 · (Edited)
So I was walking out to my tool shed the other night when I was attacked by a cottonmouth.

I had my G17 with 10 rounds in the magazine. I emptied the gun, and when the slide locked back, the light fell off the gun, and looked like this:

You'll notice that the screw was broken clean off of the rail. And no, it was not overtightened. I had just put it on the gun, with a penny to tighten it.

After what happened, I will never buy inferior lights again.

#92 ·
So I was walking out to my tool shed the other night when I was attacked by a cottonmouth.

I had my G17 with 10 rounds in the magazine. I emptied the gun, and when the slide locked back, the light fell off the gun.
A Cottonmouth attacked you? Only had a snake actively come after me once, but she was a Copper Head and I had been messing with her.

Honestly, I wouldn't have shot at the snake unless it was really close (but I don't know what happened), especially 10 rounds. But I guess some people just really hate snakes. lol

I had a Nebo Light (I bought it for $50 somewhere) It was different than the ones from Wall-suck though, never failed me. I probably won't buy one again, but it wasn't too bad. I just hate the switch, always got turned on under my pillow (Full mag, empty chamber) and drained the batteries. (Which was expensive)

#94 · (Edited)
Anybody know if it will fit in a Safariland 6280 duty holster?
If you have a 6280 I assume you carry the weapon regularly... do yourself a favor and spend another $50 and get a TLR-1s.

Dude you can find tlr1s for 89.99 on sale. And they are proven. Not a peice of **** like the nebos. I have tried 2. Both were retuerned for refunds as they failed on me. Plus who the hell will make a holster with a nebo !
Exactly. I paid under $100 for my TLR-1s which is a great light. If all you're doing is sticking the thing on a nightstand gun and will never use it for much else the $40 one is probably ok.

#95 ·
This light on my G22 and have had it about a year. This light is great. You won't find another light that is this sturdy and bright for this price. Nebo has some other really great products if you check out their website.

The only problem I have with it is that the side to suffer switch is easily activated when setting weapon on nightstand or in the dresser drawer. I found mine dead once due to this very thing.

As far as a holster goes I'm sure that its pretty close to some other mainstream lights in demensions. I have a guy that makes custom kydex for any gun and any light combo for right around 40 bucks.

Steve

#96 ·
These also look a bit different than mine. Instead of screws keeping the light on the rail mine has a spring steel plate that keeps it on. Slide the light on the weapon plate pops up and holds. Want light off the weapon press the plate down(hard) and slide light forward.

I purchased mine from eBay or amazon or something like that. Maybe an old style? But definetly no screws to strip or snap.

#97 ·

I had my G17 with 10 rounds in the magazine. I emptied the gun, and when the slide locked back, the light fell off the gun, and looked like this:

You'll notice that the screw was broken clean off of the rail. And no, it was not overtightened. I had just put it on the gun, with a penny to tighten it.

After what happened, I will never buy inferior lights again.
Is the serpant vanquished? ;-)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#98 ·
A Cottonmouth attacked you? Only had a snake actively come after me once, but she was a Copper Head and I had been messing with her.

Honestly, I wouldn't have shot at the snake unless it was really close (but I don't know what happened), especially 10 rounds. But I guess some people just really hate snakes. lol

I had a Nebo Light (I bought it for $50 somewhere) It was different than the ones from Wall-suck though, never failed me. I probably won't buy one again, but it wasn't too bad. I just hate the switch, always got turned on under my pillow (Full mag, empty chamber) and drained the batteries. (Which was expensive)
There is a small porch right in front of the door to the shed, and it would not leave from under it. Wasn't something I'd planned on or was looking forward to, but it was about 4 feet long and I was worried about my kitten. She was outside that night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.