close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Great way to track rounds fired

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by phi1281, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phi1281

phi1281

I don't know if any of you are as OCD about what you put through your firearms as I am, but I've found a way to keep precise track of what I fire. I have leveraged Google Docs spreadsheets to keep track of the rounds I fire for each of my guns.

This works great b/c you have access to it on your smartphone and your computer. I basically create a spreadsheet and add columns for date, manufacturer, brand, caliber, bullet weight, pressure, amount fired, bullet type, and any additional notes. At the bottom of the amount fired column, I have the spreadsheet total the rounds.

This gives me a way to keep an accurate count of what has been fired as well as let me know when I should do a detail strip (every 3000 rds for me) as opposed to a normal cleaning (after every range trip).

2. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Thanks - I'll check that out. I've never kept track of rounds fired, but I'm building a precision rifle, and that's something I definitely need to do.

Last edited: May 3, 2012

3. phi1281

phi1281

Like I said, I'm pretty OCD about keeping track, so it may not be for everyone.

4. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

I just keep a sticky note on my phone, which syncs up to the cloud. I can access the data anywhere else just the same. Like you, I can see what has upcoming replacement and maintenance, and which guns are the safe queens.

I do keep track of my reloads and chronograph data in Excel, and am thinking about starting to keep it on a Google Docs spreadsheet instead. I'm a big Excel fan, too, so it's been a natural extension of how I work, anyway.

Have you tried out Google Drive yet? I keep my stuff there for universal access from any of my devices or systems.

5. phi1281

phi1281

I'm not a big fan of google drive. I use Dropbox and Amazon S3 instead. Google Drive's terms of service basically gave them the rights to do a bunch of stuff with your data even though they claim that you still own the data. Google is the next big brother.

6. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Tracking ammo usage with a spreadsheet is a fine idea. I'm not terribly concerned about the data being updated constantly, so I just tear off the end flap of ammo cartons when they are emptied, write the date on them, and stow them in a pocket of the range bag. Data is entered every month or two in the spreadsheet when convenient. I use Excel offline for privacy.

7. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

What sort of parameters do you use to track performance, etc?
    I get keeping track, but do you tally up your grouping, etc?

8. phi1281

phi1281

I haven't done this, but I could see using your smartphone (iPhone or android) and the Dropbox app to take a picture of the target as a reference and store it in the cloud. The file is going to be automatically tagged with a date to cross-reference, or you could just put the links to the images in the spreadsheet.

Generally speaking though, I know how I've been shooting and what I need to work on. I think I may start taking pictures of the targets though, now that I think about it.

9. truetopath

truetopath

Not quite that OCD. I have a notepad. I shoot a box of 50 I put a tally there. Only if I have a malfunction do I jot down what ammo it was with, but seeing as it's a Glock I don't have any notes yet :whistling:

10. TJx

TJx

I use Apple's Numbers spreadsheet. I enter it when I get home from the range. I also have a column for recoil spring changes plus all other info on the gun like serial number, cost, where purchased, etc.

11. ijacek

ijacek

There is an app for that!

it's called "Gun Log +P" i use it, and love it. I keep track of all my guns, ammo, accessories, rounds fired.

12. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

Agreed! I closed my Google account last month after the new Big Brother terms of service came out. I track my rounds fired in a spreadsheet on my home PC, thank you!

13. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

No spreadsheet needed here. Just keep track of numbers on my computer on Notepad. After firing delete old number and type new number. I don't see the point in keep track of rounds fired on so and so date.

14. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Yup, that's exactly what I'm doing from my phone--just keeping a round count going for each firearm. Not really too concerned about what ammo was fired, but more of an indication of what maintenance or replacement needs to be done.

15. Pn2

Pn2

I started keeping a sheet cos of the gen 4 ejection issues I was having. I just note on a small pocket notebook and come home and enter in the computer.

Here it is attached for parameters I use.

Attached Files:

16. Lindenwood

Lindenwood

I think my new G26 has about 700, +/- 200 rounds through it...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

17. duppyman3

duppyman3

I just keep a notepad in the gun safe. Whenever I come home after a session I count the number of empty boxes of 50 quantity in my range bag and write it down with the date. Then I trash the empty boxes.

18. Glocksanity

Glocksanity

All you are doing with google docs is letting .gov know how many rounds you are shooting. Just saying.

19. Monte4283

Monte4283

Just got this app for my IPod and love it also.

20. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I'm gonna start recording how many times I wipe just so they can know as a bonus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.