close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Great video of what you can do with a pistol grip Mossy 500!!

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Dogbite, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

May 20, 2000
    Tennessee
  2. Great video. I have been meaning to do one like that for a while now. There are so many people online that talk **** about pistol grip shotguns and have never even tried them.

3. DFin

DFin

Mar 22, 2008
    Very informative. He makes it look easy to shoot the slugs accurately with the bead front sight and pistol grip. Do they still make those Birdshead pistol grips for Mossbergs and Remingtons? I heard that they were very highly regarded.

Shooters should be forwarned not to put that gun anywhere near your face when shooting it. There is another youtube video that I watched in which a shooter held a pistol gripped Mossberg too close to his face and almost knocked out his teeth from the recoil.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  4. Bearlaker

Bearlaker

Oct 21, 2005
    Monroe, Utah
    Hickock is the man, cool video, I just don't see any advantage in using a pistol grip.
    I guess concealment.

5. Shooters should be warned to have a proper grip on the shotgun so they can use the sights. The push/pull method is the best for this. I have seen 120lb girls shoot a pistol grip shotgun while using the sights. Stupid hurts. Don't hold is loosely!

6. Oh and yes, speedfeed makes bird head grips for both shotguns.

7. Speedfeed no long makes the bird's head grip for Mossberg shotguns....all they did was retrofit the 870 models to fit on the Mossbergs and were stamped with 870 so people who bought them complained so they just stopped making them all together.

Hickock's Mossberg 500 doesn't have a speedfeed birdshead grip...his was bought that way and he believes the original owner made it out of a factory stock.

8. Good video. Personally, I've never had a particular problem controlling a pistol-gripped 12 gauge, even with slugs and/or buckshot. Nor do I have a problem hitting targets at self-defence ranges, or even further for that matter. I actually think most people can probably handle one just fine with a little practice. No, they aren't the most versatile configuration by any stretch, but they can be useful in certain circumstances. Hickok45 does a good job, as usual.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  9. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 that was originally a pistol grip. I shot it a few times over 15 years and pretty much let it sit on a shelf for years. Pistol grip is not the way to go for me.

Once I put the Knoxx Reduced Recoil adjustable stock on it the shotgun was a serious option for self defense. Watching the video you'll see hickok have occasional difficulty chambering a round; just about every once in five rounds. With a stock held against the shoulder this is pretty much eliminated.

If someone can handle the recoil of a pistol grip shotgun I agree it's a versatile and powerful weapon. I don't have the same confidence in it as I do a short barrel pistol grip with a stock, which overall is just about as maneuverable as a pistol grip only configuration.

10. Ease of handling and maneuverability. With a 26" overall length, you can keep the gun at ready, going through a door-way. I have an ATI topfold on my mossberg, and it's great. Although, I rarely fold it up, it's my backup HD. I use my glock for my bedside.

11. Bucky89

Bucky89

May 21, 2010
    Midwest
    I was definitely surprised at the accuracy he had at long range.

12. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    A friend of mine at work brought one in and I was expecting to miss at 7-10 yards and I was doing almost as well as a full stock version. I think the birdshead is the way to go though.

13. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    Speedfeed's website.

http://www.speedfeedinc.com/productsmain.html

But I couldn't find it on Brownells or Midway. Did you hear this from Speedfeed or internet.

14. From Speedfeed, they still list it on their website but like most firearms manufacturers/accessories dealers they hardly update their website.

15. gsx®7-11

gsx®7-11

Aug 10, 2010
    Never fired a pistol grip shotgun, but I did enjoy the video. Thought about getting one for backpacking as well.

16. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

May 20, 2000
    Tennessee
    Where I am from (Alaska), many people use the pistol grip pumps as bear protection. Loaded with slugs and with a sling to carry over the shoulder. Serious power in a small package.

17. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    I have indeed shot a pistol grip as just a pistol grip. No problem at all doing it, even with high brass. I have never said that it can't be done. I'm sure I could hit the gong with a slug (might not happen the first shot!).

However - I maintain that I do not believe it is in general a good idea, and I choose not to.

That grip likely helps a bit and is more forgiving than a more vertical pistol grip. Plus, all of the #8 shooting is irrellevent IMO. You will note that he didn't shoot any sporty rounds fast. Those were all very careful - and I'm sure not just for aim.

18. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    I've shot my 870 folded before, raised up to used the sights. Buck and Slug really aren't that bad, it's all in having your elbow on the strong side bent as little as possible. If you have it bent too far, you might get popped in the mouth.

19. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

Feb 16, 2010
    I have a Mossberg MOD500A 12 ga. w/ Carbon Fiber grip and pump action.

Up until I saw one shot in this video (though mine has the 90 degree grip) I was semi-terrified to shoot it... now I'm gonna get out and sling some lead with it :)

20. There are no issues doing this with a 90 degree grip, and may actually be a little easier. A hogue tamer pistol grip really takes it easy on your hand.