close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Great Freeware Defrag Tool!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Big Al 24, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Big Al 24

Big Al 24

Apr 23, 2008
    I just figured I'd share...It does the job that windows built-in defragger doesn't. Give it a shot or google some reviews on it.

http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/

2. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
    What, exactly, does it do that the Windows defragger doesn't?

3. Big Al 24

Big Al 24

Apr 23, 2008
    Run the windows defragger, then run it and you'll see. It notices a higher level of fragmentation than windows does. If the windows defragger did a good job, there wouldn't be so many highly praised alternatives. I wouldn't use it with Vista though, independent tests seem to agree that third party defraggers don't do too much more for Vista than it's internal defragger does.

4. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Oct 14, 1999
    Roswell, GA
    Seems impressive. I'm not sure I get the purpose or value of the GUI, but it seems to defragment and optimize.

5. Big Al 24

Big Al 24

Apr 23, 2008
    At least it has a gui, the Vista defragger doesn't tell you anything unless you watch it in the command line.

6. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Oct 14, 1999
    Roswell, GA
    Okay, now that I've used this for a few days, I'm really impressed by it. I've set it up as my screen saver and I'm not sure if it's the placebo effect, but my disk-intensive activities seem faster. I haven't done anything else with all of the configurable options and the commandline switches or running through scheduler, but I love having that flexibility if I want to try something different.

Oh, I also love that by default it works against all mounted drives. It makes it a breeze to keep them all whirring along nicely.

Joey

7. Bronson7

Bronson7

May 19, 2002
    Murray,Kentucky
    I use AusLogic freeware. Seems a bit faster than the Windoze utility.
    Bronson7

8. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

May 22, 2003
    North Carolina
    Same here...I'm curious how the two compare though so I'll probably download this and give it a shot ;)

9. Big Al 24

Big Al 24

Apr 23, 2008
    Glad everybody likes it. I too like the portability.