Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Greasy Slide

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DropTheBanana, Mar 10, 2013.

1. DropTheBanana

Feb 24, 2013
    North Carolina
    First time poster and I hope I put this in the right section.

I recently bought my first handgun, a used Gen 3 G27, that I wasn't in the market for but couldn't turn down the price. (I've come to love this thing after putting a few magazines through it)

My question is, the slide feels greasy. Almost like it was cleaned or handled while someone had lubricant all over their hands. (FWIW I haven't cleaned it since owning it)

The slide still works perfectly and is no more than a minor inconvenience to rack (I just have to grip it a little tighter) but I would like to find out how to properly get this back to a dryer feel and not have what feels like a grease film on my hands after racking the slide, securing the weapon, etc.

Does it just take time to go away or is there something I can do to expedite the process? Hopefully, this made sense.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. Scott30

Dec 8, 2006
    Central VA
    Wipe the slide off with isopropyl alcohol. Problem solved. Will not hurt the polymer either.

3. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Jun 20, 2010
    Common rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol) will do a good job as a degreasing agent; even better if you have some that is 90-95% concentration. It's commonly used by many for routine cleaning of most parts of the Glock pistol with the exception of the barrel bore.

Welcome to Glock Talk.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  4. DropTheBanana

Feb 24, 2013
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the quick responses and warm welcome guys. Just reading through the forums over the past month has taught me so much and I look forward to adding to the community.

I've been around firearms my entire life but am just now learning the fundamentals of owning and maintaining them.

As I'm typing this I have ran the alcohol over the slide and frame and making sure they're bone dry before reassembling.

I should get this thread title changed to "A Noobie Buys His First Glock" because I have another question about this pistol. Since it is my first handgun, I have the natural urge to baby it and make sure it's kept properly.

The barrel:

Everything else seems to be in great shape but the barrel condition concerns me. I'm not sure if this is some sort of build up or if this is even some kind of damage that can be repaired. I would try to do a search to see if this has been covered before, but I honestly have no idea what I would even search for.

Should I order a new barrel or is there something on the market that will clear this up?
  5. tango44

Jun 16, 2005
    Miami Florida
    Wash the slide with Simple Green, th barrel looks fine to me!
  6. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    That barrel is perfectly normal,that is if one shoots the gun at all. If you were to purchase a new barrel and after two thousand rounds or less the new barrel would look the same as your current barrel.

There is nothing to worry about the parts wear against each other and the black finish wears off and shows natural metal color underneath.

My best suggestion would be try to find some ammunition and shoot the heck out of it and Enjoy. SJ 40
  7. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Yeah, those are just wear marks. A brand new barrel would be solid black, but those marks just show the gun has been shot a bit. That's not really a worry, it's dang near impossible to "wear out" a Glock barrel. Some people have shot 100,000 rounds or something like that through one.
  8. Scott30

Dec 8, 2006
    Central VA
    Put a drop of oil on the barrel and smear it around over the wear marks then go shoot all you can afford. Periodically clean barrel and put another drop of oil and repeat shooting. Continue until you have no more money and your credit cards are maxed out. The barrel will still be good after you do all of the above.
  9. Inebriated

Feb 20, 2012
    Froglube has relieved me of the problems associated with oil and the slide.
  10. billybadd

Jan 4, 2013
    That's great advice
  11. sgt rock

sgt rock

May 9, 2002
    Go through the animation step by step. The Glock pistol is the easiest to repair and upgrade. Your new knowledge of the pistol will give you a bigger respect and confidence in the design.Parts are cheap and this forum is the best for help if needed.

12. Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Don't over think a Glock. Clean, lightly lube and shoot. Some guys think it is rocket science. Enjoy.
  13. LampShadeActual

Sep 12, 2012
    Funny the slide feels greasy.

The double wear pattern you see on the barrel is perfectly normal for how a Glock barrel bounces around inside the slide nose hole going backwards and forwards.

It is characteristic of 10,000 rounds or more with a well lubed barrel.

Or maybe 500 shot absolutely dry. Which is why I chuckle about the greasy slide. They were probably worried about rust outside, not wear inside.

Just lube it properly and it doesn't matter one bit.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

Feb 1, 2012
    Seconded. Frog Lube is all you need.
  15. ccoprdc

Oct 10, 2005
    3rded.:wavey: You are looking at normal wear on the barrel finish.
    Wipe all your metal surfaces with the alcohol,let dry and treat
    all metal parts with Froglube. If done according to their
    directions it's one of the best things you can do for/to your Glock.

David C.
    aka ccoprdc
  16. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Rubbing alcohol will not clean a glock. But it is useful as a degreaser.
  17. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    :shame: Don't use isopropyl alcohol on a Glock's polymer frame; also, you should be careful about what you think is a, 'greasy feeling' on the slide. Glock, GmbH/Inc. has used several different finishes on their slides (Possibly more than a half dozen!). Some of these finishes, like the polymerized oil coatings, feel, 'greasier' than others; but, they're, still, perfectly useable.

If you want to rejuvenate your Glock's frame, wipe it down with common ordinary mineral oil. Frog Lube is a good choice for the slide and barrel; but, then again, so is just about any Carnauba wax-based auto polish.

Just so you know the, 'only 6 drops of oil' thing is grossly overplayed on the Internet. The only parts of a Glock that need to be reasonably dry are the internal slide channels and interior components. More than anything else, keep your internal slide channels clean. After firing between 1,200 to 1,500 rounds I use Q-Tips and solvent to clean my own channels out before lightly drying them with one last Q-Tip.

(Which, until only very recently, is the standard slide cleaning recommendation that has been made, for years, on this board. Lately, a few guys have started insisting that keeping your slide channels scrupulously clean really isn't necessary! I think what these people are actually trying to say is, 'It isn't really necessary FOR THEM!' :freak: A personal assertion with which numerous past posters have strongly disagreed - Including me!) ;)
  18. ccoprdc

Oct 10, 2005
    Could you please elaborate on this? I've been doing it for 20+ years
    and see no ill effect. It is even recommended by some of the grip
    decal makers for degreasing the grip/prepping for their products installation.
    If this is a bad thing I would honestly like to know why.
  19. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    As previously noted, alcohol won't clean the gun, but it will degrease. It has no ill effect on the frame.
  20. glockpeter

Feb 23, 2008
    shooter's choice polymer safe