close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Grandfather's dog tags

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by Smiles007, May 30, 2004.

1. Smiles007

Smiles007

Apr 14, 2000
    Dallas, Tx
    First of all, While mere words do not do justice, thank you to all of the vets and those currently in the armed forces. A very special thanks to all of those who had a loved one pay the ultimate sacrifice. To those with loved ones overseas, both those here on the home front and those in the field are in my prayers. Your selfless acts in defense of this country and what it stands for are why I can say I am proud to be an American. ;? ;w

Secondly, my grandfather served in the Pacific theater with the 96th Infantry Division (The Deadeyes), specifically the recon troop.;? He passed away a few years ago and gave my brother and I one of his dog tags. I am just not sure if I should wear it. While I am not in the service I do believe the tag is more than just a piece of metal and would hate to see something happen to it (lost, stolen, damaged etc.). What do the veterans here think about a civilian wearing such a tag?

2. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    I'm with Chopperdog - Honor your Grandfather - wear them proudly!;?

3. Smiles007

Smiles007

Apr 14, 2000
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks for the replies. I probably will start wearing it. I cannot speak for my brother who has the other one. Call it whatever you want, but I think it is something special that he had two tags and two grandsons to pass them on to.

4. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    ;? I think you called it right... ;?

5. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    I do this sometimes. The more you read something, the more you see...

You are the grandson of a soldier who fought for you to have the right to be proud of him and the country he defended: our, your United States of America.

Your respect for him earned your right to wear it...

6. kawalerzysta

kawalerzysta

May 10, 2004
    Mt Pocono, Pa
    Hopefully some day my grandkids will wear mine with pride. So cherish them.

7. Wear as long as you chose to,and then when its time honor him and it by placing it in a frame.I have one made that has my GGgrand fathers path from the Civil War, my Ggrand fathers pacth from the Cuban campaign,an Uncles dog tag from WW-1 , Grandfathers and Uncles dog tag from WW-2. my Fathers tag from Korea,and Vietnam, and one of mine from Vietnam, and now have added one from my son who was in Desert Strom-1. and my youngest grand son is already asking Papa, who does it go to when I die:)

8. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    leadbutt, would you mind sharing a picture of that with us?