close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Grabbed the Wrong Primers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dkf, Apr 10, 2014.

1. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    I went and got some powder and primers today. They had the CCIs all stacked together and I grabbed the wrong primers.

I usually use the #400 SRP for .223 in my AR but I grabbed the BR-4 SRP by mistake.(bench rest primers) So is there really any difference between the two other than price? I don't really want to work up new loads to use only 1k primers.

2. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    The issue is not the load. Rather, it's the strength of the primer cup. If you're willing to risk a blown primer, or a blown out primer rattling around in your rifle, you don't have a problem. In all likelihood, you won't have a problem on any account.

3. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    So I take it the primer cup is thinner or softer on the BR to increase reliability?

I am not running max loads. I can use the BR4 for plinking fmj loads or cast boolit loads.

4. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    My understanding from the same question I asked CCI/Omark was the primers were compound weight consistent,cups were same hardness as standard primers with the exception of BR marking. SJ 40

5. ess45

ess45

Nov 17, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  6. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

Aug 24, 2010
    South Florida
    You grabbed a higher quality , more consistent box of primers . Save them for a lower quantity of more precision loads if you load for accuracy and consistent groups . IMHO while primers do have a say in overall accuracy , I have not found it to be too significant .

7. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Ok so the BR are thicker, the opposite of what I thought. Thanks for the info everyone.