close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Grabbed the Wrong Primers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dkf, Apr 10, 2014.

1. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

I went and got some powder and primers today. They had the CCIs all stacked together and I grabbed the wrong primers.

I usually use the #400 SRP for .223 in my AR but I grabbed the BR-4 SRP by mistake.(bench rest primers) So is there really any difference between the two other than price? I don't really want to work up new loads to use only 1k primers.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Mombo
    Millennium Member

The issue is not the load. Rather, it's the strength of the primer cup. If you're willing to risk a blown primer, or a blown out primer rattling around in your rifle, you don't have a problem. In all likelihood, you won't have a problem on any account.

3. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

So I take it the primer cup is thinner or softer on the BR to increase reliability?

I am not running max loads. I can use the BR4 for plinking fmj loads or cast boolit loads.

4. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

My understanding from the same question I asked CCI/Omark was the primers were compound weight consistent,cups were same hardness as standard primers with the exception of BR marking. SJ 40

5. ess45

ess45
    Expand Collapse

#5 ess45, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  6. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E
    Expand Collapse

You grabbed a higher quality , more consistent box of primers . Save them for a lower quantity of more precision loads if you load for accuracy and consistent groups . IMHO while primers do have a say in overall accuracy , I have not found it to be too significant .

7. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

Ok so the BR are thicker, the opposite of what I thought. Thanks for the info everyone.