Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Government v. Commander models

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by BMG22, Jun 28, 2010.

1. BMG22

Jul 8, 2009
    Hey guys,

Don't slam me if this is a dumb question, but I'm curious. Do the Government and Commander models use the same frames? I know the grips are the same, but wasn't sure otherwise.
  2. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    they are similar and in some cases the same.

3. IIRC, in the original Colt designs, the frames are different in/on the dust-cover (front) portion.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  4. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Most lines of 1911s use the same frame for full size and commander models.

Both are full framed 1911s. I know this since I only buy full framed models. ;)
  5. IDPA_Shooter

Jan 23, 2008
    The original Colt Commander models differ from government models in that they have a deeper recoil spring pocket to allow full stroke of the slide during recoil. Some "Clones" do not have the deeper pocket and sometimes have problems due to this dimension.

As I recall, the recoil spring guide and plug are shorter and I believe the external dust cover is shorter on the commander as well.

Some of the 1911 sites have discussed this to death.....
  6. That's what I remembered as well.
  7. remat

Mar 19, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Good post! People don't believe me when I say that, so I found an actual source, although poster are correct that this is not the way everyone does it..

From the Caspian FAQ--

Q: What is the difference between a commander model and government size frame?

A: The dustcover is shorter on a commander. Also, the area where the recoil spring guide sits as well as the rails are cut back .078 on a commander receiver. Both frames take full size Government magazines.
    NOTE: You shouldn't put a commander slide on a government frame. A true commander slide will have different slide stop notch location to accommodate the shorter cycle.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010