close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

GoToMyPC

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Rimmer, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Rimmer

Rimmer

Jun 3, 2004
    Anyone use this?

Rumor is my company may be and I'm curious. A net search results in a lot of advertising rather than user experiences.

TYA

2. Rimmer

Rimmer

Jun 3, 2004
    :supergrin:

Ok, thanks for the reply anyway.

Just an FYI, this is offered by Citrix to access your "home" PC from another PC or PC device from anywhere.

In my case I will have access to my work PC from my personal desktop and laptop. A work from my house add-on, if you will.

3. gh0st614

gh0st614

May 4, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Hey Rimmer Im not sure how well it works, I see it advertised late night on tv so that might be a clue that its not as good as it makes you think.

We use VNC in our office it is easy to install..FREE and uhhh yea its free.

4. Oribis

Oribis

Feb 7, 2009
    Florida
    Gotomypc works alright, basically it works by sending a screenshot of your work pc to the one your working on, so at times it can appear to stutter. If your ever planning on doing any kind of video watching on it, dont bother cause it will look like your watching a slide show. It has some nice features if you pay for it but if your just looking for remote desktop, VNC or logmein.com are both free alternatives.

5. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Oct 14, 1999
    Roswell, GA
    VNC is great as long as your computer has a fixed IP address to the internet or is a DNS client that boradcasts its IP address to a DNS Server (or via the router and port forwarding).

But if you aren't inclined to go through that hassle, I use LogMeIn Free and have for about the last 4 or 5 years and love it. Go To My PC is supposedly very similar to logmein, but I'm not sure if GoToMyPC has a free version or not. Once I found LogMeIn, I haven't needed to look for others.

Joey

6. Kevin108

Kevin108 HADOKEN!

Mar 2, 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    There are various ways to accomplish what GoToMyPC does. All of them but one require additional knowledge than what I possess.

I use LogMeIn.com It's almost identical to GoToMyPC except there is a free version with a little less functionality. You log into your account on the web site from the computer you want to be able to control later and install a small program that loads at startup.

Right now I can control my desktop and and my mom's computer from anywhere I can get online. I fix problems for her from 15 miles away all the time.

7. Glockphobia

Glockphobia NOT!

Apr 30, 2005
    Chapin,S.C.
    if you have windows xp pro, remote desktop will do the same thing

8. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Oct 14, 1999
    Roswell, GA
    It will do the same thing as VNC, but not LogMeIn or GoToMyPC. You would still need to have a fixed IP address to the internet or a DNS client that broadcasts the IP address to a DNS Server.

9. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Apr 14, 2004
    Mucus City, USA
    I signed up for GoToMyPC while I was working in Iraq, mostly to use for firewall piercing. I don't use it much any more but I'm still paying the bill.

10. Rimmer

Rimmer

Jun 3, 2004
    Thanks for all the replies.

The software is provided by my Company so it's the pay version, they pay. I wanted a laptop and they sent me the Citrix disk. Seems they'd rather pay a monthly fee for the corporate version than spring for a laptop.

I've since checked around and several are using it in this Company. Don't know but I'd think a Company laptop with VPN would be cheaper in the long run since they use both to access their system.

11. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    You could always check out Windows Mesh... It has remote control, folder synchronization... it's in Beta, but works pretty well.

https://www.mesh.com/Welcome/default.aspx

5Gb of data synced across the web... Been good so far, but it is Beta.

Oh yah... Free, kinda like LogMeIn.com