Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Got my Remington 1911R1 today, not impressed...

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by KB2MBC, Oct 29, 2010.

1. KB2MBC

KB2MBC NRA Life Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I picked up my Remington 1911 today after it was test fired by the NYSP, they got their spent case so they're happy.
    I got it home, sat in my office and just looked at it, admiring it and then I noticed some blotches on the finish on top between the rear sight and ejection port. Difficult to see, gotta look closely. Never noticed at the gun shop. Anyways, I was admiring the frame, nice and tight, no play horizontal or vertical and the lockup is tight too.
    I dry fired it about a half dozen times, either by pulling the hammer back or cycling the slide. It does have a nice trigger, breaks crisp for an Series 80.
    Then I take a side view look at the gun again and see the finish scraped along the bottom, WTF?!? I tore the gun down, cleaned it and saw what looked like metal shavings down where the recoil spring goes into the frame. There is also a scrape on the inside of the frame that is in the same place across from the slide. Here's a pic:

I dunno, it's a $600 gun, am I wrong to expect more?
    I suppose I can b*t*h about it but then it will get sent off to the factory for who knows how long and I haven't even fired a shot through it.
    I'm bummed. I knew I shouldn't have purchased a first year run, I thought I'd learn when I bought a Colt Anaconda, that was crappily manufactured too.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. ijacek

Jun 21, 2008
    Wish I could say Congratulations on a new gun, but...

That's just looks really, really bad. Contact Remington, see what they say.

3. I wouldn't accept that even for a $300 gun. Contact them, send them the pic and then send them the gun.
  4. .45Super-Man

May 4, 2007
    All that's needed is just a few minutes of buffing on the inside of the dustcover with a patch and rubbing compound. Then you can simply degrease the rub marks on the slide and touch it up with a Birchwood casey blackening pin. The whole "process" shouldnt take more than 5-10 minutes. For a 600 dollar 1911, this hardly constitutes a "problem". It is your gun ultimately, but I'd be far more apt to spend 5 minutes at the table than pay for shipping and the hassle that goes with it and then wait for an unknown amount of time when I could fix it myself and be out shooting it on the same day. I havent had the chance to handle a Remington yet and havent really had a strong desire to, but this certainly isnt enough for me to look at them in a bad light.
  5. pistolwrench

pistolwrench Dremel jockey

Jul 27, 2009
    As 45SP suggests, be gentle on the close tolerances.
    Do Not Exceed 'Flitz' on a Q-tip.

All will be fine.

6. KB2MBC

KB2MBC NRA Life Member

Nov 18, 2009
    FYI: The Remington finish is a Satin black oxide metal finish, not blued.
  7. watarski

Feb 18, 2008
    NW FL
    $600 is $600. I'd call Remington. I wouldn't try and fix it myself. JMHO.
  8. That sucks! Sorry you have to go through that. When I handled the R1 it felt really solid and will more than likely be my next purchase next year. Hope you are able to find a solution.
  9. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio

yep, it's black oxide, but if you caught the American Rifleman episode on the Rem 1911R1, you might have seen a bottle or 2 of Birchwood-Casey Perma blue on the work bench when they were fitting them.
  10. .45Super-Man

May 4, 2007
    Couldnt think of the name, that's it. The OP needs a "Perma black" touch up pen. There's SO little metal that needs removing here, it's nearly non-existant. It's just enough to mar the slide's finish and that's it. The OP can color the area that's marred on the slide, cycle the slide once and then field strip it. With the slide removed, the inside of the dustcover will now show exactly where it needs to be worked on. If you go and shoot several hundred rounds, you can skip the buffing part and go straight to the perma black, OR you could put just a bit of compound on the slide where it's marred and cycle the action several hundred times. Take your pick,lol.
  11. KB2MBC

KB2MBC NRA Life Member

Nov 18, 2009
    It left today, back to Remington.
  12. remat

Mar 19, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Cosmetic but I wouldn't be happy either. Aren't they test fired at the Rem/ERPC factory?
  13. KB2MBC

KB2MBC NRA Life Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Yeah, it is a cosmetic issue, but it's a testimonial on their manufacturing & QC procedures.
    Now I'll see how good their customer service is.
  14. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon

It's fine, shoot the thing and enjoy. It's a GI 'replica' not a piece of fine art.
    If the dustcover is actually interfering than make it an issue with Rem. If not polish it up a bit and shoot the crap out of it! A black Sharpie can cover up the mark if you don't want to use a bit of blue on a Q-tip.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  15. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    In this day and age $600 is a entry level 1911 and I would tolerate some things like that as long as the gun runs.
  16. GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Their QC on shotguns and rifles can be iffy also.
  17. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
  18. ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Not me. No reason for that to be like that. If you don't make noise, quality continues to slide and pretty soon "junk" is the norm. Nope, not me. :dunno:
  19. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Somewhere in the air.
    The fit and finish on my Remington R1 is excellent.

20. KB2MBC

KB2MBC NRA Life Member

Nov 18, 2009
    :crying: it aint fair...