close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Got My "Freezer" Deer

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by GeorgiaRedfish, Oct 22, 2010.

1. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    First hunt of the season bagged these two young bucks today at the same time after 30 minutes in the stand. These were to fill up mine and my grandparents freezer, from here on out it will be nothing but deer of the Antlered variety. Both were perfect shots, and feel 15 feet from where they were shot, best day in a long time, and tomorrow is my 4 year anniversary with my girlfriend...WHAT A WEEK.:supergrin::supergrin:

[​IMG]

Oh by the way if you have a dog that is 230lbs of muscle walking around, don't leave the tail gate down with your deer in the bed........He grabbed one of my deer and took it to the other side of the house. I thought somehow he got a little life in him and ran off, but then the great dane came jogging up with blood all over him.:rofl::rofl:

2. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA
    The young deer make the best table fare IMO. Very tender, Congrats

3. GeorgiaRedfish

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    Thank you, ya they do make the best. I'm glad I can hunt now for antlers instead of meat. Except I'm about to go out again with a 10 year old if I see another one I'll take it, but his family wants the meat.

4. im really not knocking you, its just where im from we never shoot button bucks, there's enough does that we just leave the bucks to grow up. They are tender though. lol

There are acctually some private hunting places that charge their hunters 2500 dollars if they kill a button.......:wow: thats freaking crazy.

5. GeorgiaRedfish

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    Ya I don't mind because this is in the middle of nothing but farms as far as the eye can see, and I'm the only one hunting their for miles and miles around. There are hundreds of deer, and they are skidish at all. The place I hunt is amazing.

6. Great, glad to see some one getting some venison :wavey:

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Man that is funny right there.... LOL

Great story man, and the dog thing cracked me up ! :rofl:

Enjoy the steaks.

CM

8. thejellster05

thejellster05

Sep 13, 2007
    Kansas
    Congrats man! I'd be freaking if I just got one, and you got a double! lol

9. GeorgiaRedfish

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    Thanks

Ya it had me cracking up. I never even thought about that dog grabbing em. :upeyes:

10. n0vember

n0vember germanolicious

Dec 1, 2008
    Germany.

Where I come from, button bucks and (small) spikers are shot first, maybe that's a reason, we have very few of them

11. GeorgiaRedfish

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    :rofl:Maybe, but since I'm the only one hunting a big piece of land, I could care less. Plus those are the only two I'm going to shoot this season, I want me some antlers next time.

12. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    Wow, that is great that you bagged those deer and have all of that land to hunt.

Wanting some venison myself and have to hunt wet soggy forest lands around Snohomish, WA - only 1,500 acres but heavily wooded.

And around here - we don't get to hunt from stands. On the ground as you have to get in really close for a clean shot.

My 13-year old is the only sone of three with the huevos to pull the trigger on anything furry.

Congrats!

13. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Western Colorado
    Congratulations on the deer harvest. I'd guess there's about 50-55 lbs. of meat there and much of it will make fine steaks. On a young deer even the shoulder steaks can be tender if they're marinated.

I didn't see more than a glimpse of a buck all season when I flushed a couple from their beds. Plenty of deer tracks in the snow this year but only had a brief shooting opportunity at a doe. I might change my strategy next year and apply for a late season buck hunt during the rut. I've been hunting deer and elk in the same area and season which works well sometimes. But elk is my primary quarry so I work areas that usually aren't best for deer.

14. Alpine

Alpine

Dec 21, 2000
    Texas

Shotgun or rifle?

15. msoprano

msoprano

Jun 2, 2005
  16. GeorgiaRedfish

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...