close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got My First "You're Old" Moment

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GLWyandotte, Oct 3, 2012.

1. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

I wish!
    It was at www.gasthausbavarianhunter.com

The beer is great, the festival is fun with great music. The food in the restaurant is America's idea of German food- really heavy: frozen spaetzle, instant potatoes and over-priced schnitzel.
    It's a fun place to go for dinner with a group. The beer and creepy strolling accordion chick make up for the poor food.

2. A few years ago I was in a clan for a F2P shooter, myself and another guy are talking about close combat, which came out in 96 and a kid comes on and says he wasn't even born when it was made.

3. jaws48

jaws48

Apr 7, 2007
    AZ
    It must be nice to be young enough to recall when you got "your old" moment! Getting old sucks but what sucks most about it is still better than the alternative, so far.

4. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    I'm old and I get a kick out of people that say they forgot something that was "on the tip of their tongue" so they must be a sign of old age.

I tell them that forgetting things is not a sign of old age, it's a sign that you have many other things more important to think about.

I also mention that I, for most of my life, I have been very forgetful. Since I have always been forgetful, it cannot be a sign of Alzheimer's or age, just preoccupation.

A real senior moment is when you forget you have a bed date with a 20 year old. It sometimes is also called "fortuitous amnesia".

5. Creatism

Creatism

Dec 25, 2011
    My first one was when my favorite metal album became a classic. Then I did the smart thing and married a 24 yr old, I'm 32, and talking child hood schools everything with her is "oh my god your old" comment.
    Then the realization that I've involved in one way or another with one of my hobbies for over 20 yrs does not help. Couple that with my 8 yr old who seems to think that, nevermind that I do weighted pull ups, bench 300lbs and squat over double my body weight, that I'm to old and decrepit to play at the park with him.
    You reading that makes me very glad I have thick skin.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Jan 12, 2007
    the narrow way
    Speak for yourself ya old geezer. :supergrin: :tongueout: :wavey:

7. Peace Warrior

Jan 12, 2007
    the narrow way
    Yup, quality life moment. -LOL-

8. oceanwarrior

oceanwarrior

Jan 13, 2004
    Hawaii
    My OLD moment came when a Surgical nurse was prepping me for a minor surgery.
    As she was setting up to insert an IV,she asked me about the scar on my arm.
    I told her that was long ago when i used to build race cars and got cut by a piece of sheet metal I was installing.
    She said "Oh, you might know my Brothers,they used to race too".
    She mentioned the names,and yes ,I knew them very well.
    THEN I remembered HER!
    I asked "Do you remember me?"
    She says "No"
    I say "That's good,that means I'll get up after the surgery is done"
    She asked "Why is that?"
    I told her"Because when you were a little girl,we gave you SUCH a bad time when you were hanging out in your brothers garage with us,and we did all sorts of cruel jokes to you."
    She thought a while as she got the IV into me,then,smiling at me,she said "Now I remember you,You were so bad in those days,but you always bought me ice cream at the racetrack and I really looked foward to that on race days!

I woke up in recovery alive and intact,she was there and we laughed about the old days!

oceanwarrior

9. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

Aug 18, 2009
    Metro ATL
    For as long as I can remember, I've had amnesia.:supergrin:

NN

10. bucky_925

bucky_925

Dec 29, 2000
    North Carolina
    My wife's (she is a second grade teacher) was when one of her students was homecoming queen. Mine (I have been grey headed since my 30's) was when I was called paw paw by my fellow workers, that was 10 years ago.

11. Peace Warrior

Jan 12, 2007
    the narrow way
    NO WAY!

I'm at a UPS satellite store, not a main branch by the way, and the girl behind the counter starts giving me a hard time about not being able to use a company account number for mailing out stuff from her office's location, but at first, she does it in generic kind of way. After a couple verbal interactions, I'm thinking she's had a bad day, so at the best of my utmost ability, I placate her acerbic tone with couple humorous colloquialisms based on the situation, and then offer several choices as possible solutions.

I realize she ain't buying it, and asked her what she would suggest. OUCH! Then starts a 1 minute diatribe of policy and how cooperate people think accounts are so important to UPS. I finely interrupt her somewhere in the middle of of it all, and just out and ask, "What the **** is your problem?!?!?! Do I know you?!? Do you think you know me? Has my company done anything to get you into trouble?!? Why are you so ******* temperamental?!?" She laughs and says, "Yeah, I knew I recognized you, your name's *****, and you dated my Mom, *******, back in the **'s." What the heck!?! She was right.... Oops, small world... :embarassed:

Ended up getting the thing shipped for free and an old life chapter closed.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  12. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I almost didn't make it to 54 years old, so I am absolutely ecstatic to be 63 years old. Life is a gift.

13. FPS

FPS

Jul 15, 2005
    CT
    hahaha

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzEhoyXpqzQ"]Louis CK - Turning 40 - YouTube[/ame]

14. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

Nov 29, 2010
    DFW
    Teach her what good MUSIC is, HollowHead!

Mine came came at a local workout session of martial artists. It's usually a bunch of middle aged guys with some guests (usually school bullies or their victims) I was demonstrating balance to some of the kids when I broke concentration with a young and enthusiastic judo green belt. I was driven HARD to the mat. I now only demonstrate with mellow guys my age. :faint:

15. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

Nov 29, 2010
    DFW
    "Put your elbows on that table please"

16. oceanwarrior

oceanwarrior

Jan 13, 2004
    Hawaii
    My MD said "All right my good man,bend over and crack me a vertical smile"

oceanwarrior

17. Shinytop

Shinytop

Sep 5, 2012
    Hell, that's ten years before they say, "We want to run a camera up that vertical smile."

18. Shinytop

Shinytop

Sep 5, 2012
    I was 40, a long time ago, and dealing for a new fridge. Is there any way you can take more off that price? "I can give you a 15% senior discount." What the age for that? "55".

I took the discount and never shopped there again.

19. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Heart of Dixie
    My internist always said "YOU'RE uncomfortable? You think this is the best part of MY day?" :wow: then :faint:

20. What were you playing?