close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

GOT MY DILLON ORDERED WITH EVERYTHING NEEDED TO START!!!! / starting data?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by mike g35, Jan 13, 2012.

1. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    I finally ordered my Dillon Precision 550 press with all the accesories I need to get started. Even bought a chronograph a Competition Electronics and a starter bench from Stack-On, the 382. Anyone that knows me on here knows my passion for Carver Custom raceguns and shooting with the dot and comp., finally I can start building loads to suit those guns. :supergrin:

Before it's even said I realize some of you told me to go with the 650, but my sponsor Bobby Carver as well as Dillon Precision and Brian Enos and even some of you told me to go with the 550, so I did.

Now its time to gather some data, here's what I am thinking of starting with. For the 40S&W limited I am thinking of starting with a 180gr bullet, for the open (compensated) a 155 or 135. For my 9mm open gun, 124gr and for the production (GSSF) load I am thinking 147gr. Figured I would start with Federal primers and Winchester Auto-Comp powder. I have about 5000 cases, once fired, to start with so I am good in that respect. I am planning on getting all of my bullets from Montana Gold and X-treme.

So those are the bullets weights I know I need to be running. My question here is are there better powders to run in these guns with these bullet weights and if so what are they and why???? Keep in mind the 40 open and limited must make major power factor (IPSC) and the open 9 minor IPSC PF. Thanks.

2. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    Cool...
    so why the 550 and NOT the xl650?
    Greg

3. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence

oops sorry, you answered that.
    I still think the xl650 was the right choice.
    I bet Ron agrees.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  4. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    I use Precision Delta 147gr FMJ with 4.3gr of Unique for GSSF in 9mm

and, in .40, I use Precision Delta 165gr FMJ with 6.1gr of Unique for GSSF.

I don't shoot any other leagues, yet.
    Greg

5. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    To be honest with you Greg it was a matter of simplicity. The 550 is the recommended press for someone just getting started in reloading and with me having to develop some loads that are going to push safe pressure standards anyway I thought the simpler the machine the better off I would be. The 650 has all the bells and whistles that you could ever want, but to be honest I just didn't want them. One thing I know is to be successful you need to use the K.I.S.S. method. Keepin' it simple my friend, I'm just keepin' it simple.

6. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    You will love the 550B, easy, quick and reliable!:cool:

7. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Make sure that it's a fast burning powder and you load at least 1,000 before you test.

:whistling:

Kidding. Please don't listen to me.

8. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    lol, 'The 1000 loaded round guy'

9. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Sep 24, 2008
    East Coast
    congrats on your machine you will enjoy it!

10. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    SURE I will load 10,000 instead though OK?LOL

I actually know quite a bit about reloading if "book knowledge" counts for anything. The actual reloading process I have only gone through with a SS RCBS press loading for a rifle. But it was a 338-06 that a local custom rifle builder built as his deer gun. Freakin' wildcat caliber, he confused me enough with the thought of that gun let alone trying to remember all the steps in loading. The 550 seemed to me to be the best choice. I have, in Rons words, been "waffling" back and forth for months now and decided to just make a decision. I am going to have a really nice looking set-up if thats worth anything, lots of blue on the bench!!! :eek:)

11. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    The 650 is no more complicated than a 550. In some respects it is simpler. Not counting the same steps as a 550. You have 3 items to pull off, and unscrew one piece. Screw in one piece and install 3 other pieces. And the press auto indexes. If anyone thinks that is complicated than many I suggest they take up golf.

12. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    Greg what type of press are you using?? A 650?? Those are awesome machines, just a bit much for my purposes. Besides I like to sit and do anything that has anything to do with shooting. A slower machine just gives me more time to relax.

13. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    I will give you my $0.02 cents on powder.

Fred turned me on to WSF for most anything not 45 a long time ago and I have been VERY happy with that powder. Like you I used it to shoot 40 SW and then used it in 9mm. I get very clean burning and accurate loads in both calibers with a factory like feel in recoil. I have used Unique as well with good success, but to me WSF is an improved Unique if you will as it meters great, especially though my 550B.

YMMV, but WSF sounds like the perfect powder for you and what your intended use is.

14. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence

I started in August with a Lyman T-Mag II Turret Press and the beginning of November, I got my xl650 and load 9mm and .40 on it.

I now load my wife's 38 special on the Lyman T-Mag II because she doesn't shoot as much as I do.

I shoot any where from 2000 to 3000 rounds a month now.

I was going to get the 550, but Ron who has a 550 (and now a new xl650) suggested I go with the xl650, and I'm glad he did.
    Greg

15. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    I got a pound of that two weeks ago to try. I'm tired of how Unique meters in my xl650.
    Greg

16. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    I load on a 550 and it's a great machine. The 650 would have been faster and let you add on a case feeder that works good, I have heard the case feeder for the 550 doesn't work real good. I live a little north of you and shoot at Fort Harmar Rifle Club in Ohio. Hopefully I'll see you at the GSSF match later in the year.

17. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    There is no downside to loading on a 550b but speed. A great machine & I use a 550B & 650.
    JMO, Noob reloaders should stick w/ components & data readily available. Autcomp may be fine for 40 maj, I have no idea, but there is so little data for it. Lots of good powder/bullet combos in the 2-3 reloading manuals you should already have. As FM notes, I like WSF, also Unique for upper midrange 40 loads. Lots of data for both powders. Others will work, sure, I can make any powder go bang, but a good medium burner like WSF, Unique, Universal or PP makes it easier & safer for the noob. Enjoy the 550!

18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
  19. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
  20. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    Mike, just remember Not to load a 1000 of anything Until you know it works.

Start with 20 of a load to try.

Pulling bullets takes lots of time.