close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Got my body armor all set up

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Dalton Wayne, Jan 19, 2013.

1. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    DW is a medic.He knows his trade.'08.

2. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

You might not in the part of your house that has the med kit when you need it right then and there or if your mobility gets impaired.

3. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    Full load out 35 pounds

4. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

or two McDonald's happy meals:whistling:

5. GlockN

GlockN

Apr 15, 2011
    Are you saying you can only complete 7 miles of a 10 mile walk? How long does it take you to walk 7 miles in your loadout?

6. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    It's a much-debated topic. Personally, I see any situation where my odds of being shot at are elevated as a good time for body armor. Even simple rural-arkansas sheriff patrol, I wear it; never mind an Afghanistan or post-Katrina situation.

That said, it's not the first thing I'd buy prep-wise. Water, food, fitness, education/training, etc, all should come first imo.

7. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    With increased age definitely comes a change in perspective. My dad turned 89 yesterday, and he's beyond 'fatalistic' about life & death now; he's flat-out cavalier about it.

My wife's parents are younger than mine - her grandmother is only five years older than my dad; 94 now. When she was 86-87 years old, I was at her house when she was watching some politician on tv who made her mad. Her knee-jerk comment back then was something along the lines of, "They all need killin. A life sentence just don't mean what it used to."

8. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    These are my free "if it were me" suggestions:

Ditch the Shears and put that pocket-knife in a "pocket"

Remove the IFAK off the side and if you feel like you simply must carry it, mount it on the front/beside your mag pouches in a break-away med pouch from 5.11, condor or itstactical.

If your primary defense rifle is a AK variant, then ditch the shotgun shells. If a shotgun is a secondary defense weapon, then mount a shell side-saddle on its receiver. It is after all (a secondary)

Lots of patches make a space busy to the eye and takes away from your bloodtype patch. If you are trying to draw attn to your bloodtype patch, I would put the red cross side by side with it and get rid of all the other morale patches. I would probably have a bloodtype on a bracelet or boot tab- As your plate carrier will be tossed aside if someone has to work on you.

9. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    Why AK ammo and shotgun ammo DW?

IMO. As someone who's worn armor all day every day for over a year, carry as little as you can and achieve your goal.

Being fast and agile beats being armored against a hit.

I would say, you'd probably be faster, and better set if you had a "battle belt" with your IFAK, and all your med tools save the shears and a TQ outside.

That's how I like running my gear, gets me flatter, easier to don/doff, and better balance. Plus I have my ifak when I don't need my armor on.

10. Bravo 1

Bravo 1 Serious Infidel CLM

Sep 21, 2005
    Earth

Perhaps it is, that if you need to have simple things explained to you as one would a liberal, then it is you who has some thinking to do. As he has already invested plenty of thinking in his selection of kit.

My second thought is that you have never been shot at or given any serious thought to the repercussions of that action.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  11. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

Good One!! :whistling: :rofl: :supergrin:

12. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    The shotgun ammunition is not on there anymore Its optional on depending on my load out

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2