close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got a question 45 GAP

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Karnivore, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Karnivore

Karnivore

I am thinking about buying a Glock 37. If the GAP round dies at some point, do I have the option of buying a new barrel and making it into some other caliber?

Any info is appreciated.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The round is not going to die. It's been available since the Summer of 2003, and there are more 45GAP's in use than 10mm Glocks, and the 10mm is not going to die either. Buy with confidence and enjoy the pleasure and fun of shooting a G37.

3. Chuckc

Chuckc

As more and more people, and law enforcement discover the benefits of the GAP round and pistol I don't see it going away in my lifetime. There are just too many benefits.
    if you still are concerned, just buy a lot of brass for reloading and you are set for life. All the other reloading components are common to other calibers and once fired brass is plentiful.
    Get the gun and enjoy!!!!!

4. Leathernecker

Leathernecker More Glocks!

Karnivore, Danny is right; our own State Troopers are carrying the G37 as well as four other state police forces. It's not going away, no matter what the naysayers and haters say.

5. elde

elde Lifetime Member

Can't believe the haters haven't chimed in yet. :faint:

I too am a Gap fan. Since I don't reload I've found all of the practice ammunition I can handle at Georgia Arms. And it's priced a wee bit lower than ACP as well. My 39 and 38 are two of my favorite Glocks.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  6. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Big gun, low capacity, same big slow round as every other .45
    Unjustifiably expensive hard to find ammo.

There, does that cover it? :tongueout:

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Any day now the .45 GAP will be as nearly extinct as rounds like the .470 Nitro Express. Remember that some of the machinery that manufacturers ammunition might be able to be used to produce other calibers and that ammunition can acutally be made at home with a relatively small investment. While someday it may not be profitable for a big company to make .45 GAP, some of the big companies still make, for instance, .470 NE cartridges. I am guessing that there are more people and State Troopers with GAPS here in the US than there are people who plink through a hundred rounds with a double rifle.

That said, if the round should disappear there are enough of the guns out there that I would guess one of the barrel manufacturers would make a barrel for it for something that is still around like .357 Sig.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  8. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

While you will probably be able to get GAP ammo somewhere, you may have to hunt for it, pay more for it and have less choice then you would have with regular ACP ammo. This is a fact. It may be a great round, I don't know, but I do know it's not very popular and that means many places simply aren't going to stock it.

9. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Don't know anything about a new barrel, but you can surely get a new upper and swap out the ejector for whatever you decide to get.

GAP is an excellent round, and you can roll your own 185 or 200 gr. loads for the same cost as .45ACP. I have seen load data for 230 gr. but I haven't put any of those through mine yet.

10. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

You won't be able to shoot ACP with a GAP frame. The GAP cartridge is shorter the the ACP and so is the grip (the reason behind the GAP)

11. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

???

I didn't say anything about shooting ACP through a GAP frame.

The GAP frame is the same size as the 9/40/357 models, so if he swaps out for an upper from one of those calibers, along with swapping out the ejector for that caliber, he'll be good to go.

I mentioned the projectiles he could use to load up his own ammo--I load both calibers, and cost really doesn't make much of a difference there. Brass is different (got some) and primers are somewhat different (mostly LPP, but I've been running across a lot of SPP .45 ACP cases which makes sorting a bit longer now.) I wouldn't touch any of the ammo on the shelf for practicing, because most places price them as if they're made of gold. The only factory GAP ammo I have is some Speer Gold Dot for carry, that's all. Everything else running through it is made in my garage.

12. xxlarge

xxlarge

This post echos my feelings as well. :supergrin:

13. xxlarge

xxlarge

Pure speculation from the guy who has to post troll remarks about the GAP round everytime he can. :yawn:

14. hunter won

hunter won

The G39 is my favorite .45 cal handgun. I have a reliable pistol that I don't have to worry about hollowpoint ammo jams. Many LEO's like the .45 G.A.P. and the caliber has been doing a good job with many police shootings. Finding it stocked at your local gun store can be a challenge. Online the ammo can be found. The rumors of it going away is not true. The G.A.P. is here to stay.

15. Little Joe

Little Joe

Too bad they didn't do some GAPs with the RTF2 grip. My RTF2s have become my favorite Glocks. I would love a G38 RTF2.

16. SGT45

SGT45 Silver Member

Yup, mrsmurfboard always chimes in and trashes anything to do with the GAP. I just might invite him/her to come and actually shoot a .45GAP. Then see what he/she has to say. I am sure s/him will decline.

17. GunFooMaster

GunFooMaster

I'm curious to know if there are conversion barrels.

Anyone?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  18. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

As of now, I do not know of any conversion barrels. While the Gen4 texture is not quite as aggressive as the RTF2, the G37 Gen4 is available. I have one. The Florida Highway Patrol uses the Gen4 G37 and the Gen3 G39. Other State Police Agencies using the Gen3 G37 include NY, PA, SC and GA.

While I feel five State agencies out of 50 is significant, the GAP bashers here do not. If you are a basher, answer these questions:

1. How many State Agencies issue the G17?
    2. How many State Agencies issue the G20?
    3. How many State Agencies issue the G21?
    4. How many State Agencies issue the G22?
    5. How many State Agencies issue the G31?
    6. How many State Agencies issue the G34?
    7. How many State Agencies issue the G35?

It should not be too hard to answer the questions, as there are only 45 State agencies left to choose from. I'll even narrow it down to 43 for you, as New Jersey and Virginia State Police do not even use Glocks.

19. xxlarge

xxlarge

Good post Danny. Perhaps this will cut down on mrsurfboardGAPnaysayer's constant trolling in these GAP threads...perhaps not.

At any rate, your point is well taken. :cool:

20. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

Good to know^

Some of my favorite.

:cool: