close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

good/reasonable digital caliper ?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cajun_chooter, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

For the record my Harbour Freight are accurate and work fine. If they didn't K would return them not keep them. I don't understand why people keep something they think sucks.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Kentguy

Kentguy
    Expand Collapse

cajun_chooter,

I guess you'd start with Starrett pretty much top of the line IMO anyway, made in the USA but they are not cheap! A 6" stainless steel dial caliper will set you back $120 (give or take)... No batteries needed... ever! Their are a lot of high end calipers but I think that kind of money is unnecessary for our purposes.

From there you can pick up an RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, frankfort arsenal, Craftsman or Fowler all of these are around $50 to $25.

Harbor freight offers a pretty good selection of dial & digital calibers for under $20. It pretty much depends on your pocket book and tolerance for changing batteries and perhaps quality becomes an issue at this range. Although they do offer some very inexpensive 6" calipers that work very well - "Cen-Tech" comes to mind.

Stay with the 6", this will handle most anything you will run into.

Good luck.

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Seating dies are only accurate in about a .003 range. Dial calipers pretty much measure AOL. It's hardly worth spending a ton of money for that. I would buy a better micrometer and save money on the dial calipers. But frankly measuring to. 001" is normally a waste of time. When I have done it I have brought it over to a machinist friend. He rolls his eyes because he knows for reloading its pretty much a waste of time. But it does generate some epic threads.

4. Rinspeed

Rinspeed
    Expand Collapse
    JAFO

I use a ruler . :dunno: :rofl:

5. SARDG

SARDG
    Expand Collapse

Good enough... this isn't rocket science and we're not putting anyone on the moon. :shocked: :supergrin:

6. John43

John43
    Expand Collapse

Used to work in precision grinding for helicopter transmissions. How would you like to work with +/- .0001 all day. Not much fun with a .0002 range. I once machined a fixture(used to hold parts for machining) and it went to inspection to be checked. It was rejected and sent back to remove another .0008 of stock. We asked them what they used to check it with and they were using dial calipers to check a .0002 tolerance. We showed them that it checked ok with a dial bore gage. New inspector got an earfull. Never saw dial bore that would measure tenths.

7. RWE

RWE
    Expand Collapse

Same here, but I only got 2 years on first battery.

Look at all the brands offered, the one I bought at HF is the exact same as many out there - the exception is color and price. Natchez has the RCBS on sale for $63 - excat same as HF, but I paid $10

Use the HF caliper for all reloading chores, including long range rifle. See no reason to replace it at the moment.

Just buy the one that makes you happy!