close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Good ol' fashioned Sierra JHP's from Cor Bon

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ABNAK, Jan 3, 2010.

1. ABNAK

ABNAK

Apr 22, 2005
    Tennessee
    Specifically the 125gr 9mm load, but applies to the others too. The Sierra JHP's expand pretty well. I know they're not "in vogue" these days but are they still considered an excellent defense round? (I realize a little fragmenting goes on with these, but hey.....:dunno:)

2. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    In 9mm, they will probably work as well as any cup/core bullet. At 357sig speeds, complete fragmentation can be expected.

3. One of the benefits of the .38 Super is its ability to use bullets designed for the .357 magnum; both Sierra and Hornady manuals have load data for these combinations.

This 140gr Sierra JHP (compare sectional density 180gr/10mm) exhibited excellent penetration, but fragged along the way --- mid 1200s;

[​IMG]

A 9mm designed bullet at upper .38Super/.357SIG velocities (1450fps +) would probably self-destruct as Fred stated.

Bob :cowboy:

4. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

Sep 20, 2004
    FEMA REGION III
    Expect rapid expansion, to the point of fragmentation. How far it will penetrate is questionable.

5. ABNAK

ABNAK

Apr 22, 2005
    Tennessee

Follow me on this theory as it is a little convoluted: A Cor-Bon 125gr 9mm +P (if you can find these either, like all the other stuff) is supposed to do ~1250fps out of a 4" barrel. The gun in question is a Walther PPS with a 3.2" barrel, so velocity wouldn't be anywhere near 1250fps. Reduced velocity = less rapid (but still good) expansion and therefore more penetration. In other words the shorter barrel "taming" it a bit might actually work better ballistics-wise.