Good inexpensive 1911?????

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by jaxxx, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Can you guys suggest a good inexpensive 1911 to start out with???? Just need something reliable

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. If you use the search function there is a ton of info on this exact subject.
    Also it sort of matters if this gun will be used as is or as a base for a customization project.
    The Springfield base models are nice guns for the money and usually in the $600.00 range.
    There are cheaper ones but I look for the forged frame and slide over the cast versions.
    Do a search.

3. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

What size?

What finish?

What caliber?

SA's website gives me seizures, so go here and take a look at their line up.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/springfield_1911.html

Start with a GI or Mil-Spec, depending on how cheap you are vs what features you require. They are all reliable.

If you want something dirt cheap but still shoots, buy a Rock Island Armory 1911.

4. Good / Inexpensive / 1911

Pick two.

5. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

All three, RIA.

6. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

Cute. :supergrin:

Fortunately, no longer true these days. I consider a $600 Springfield or comparible inexpensive next to a $550-600 glock.

7. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

For inexpensive one it's hard to beat Norinco.
    However I guess that sooner or later You will be on your way to explore more refined 1911s.

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Love the GI,....however sights are small, somewhat like the origionals.

9. Para Ordnance GI Expert, SA Mil-Spec, RIA Tactical

10. RIA, Firestorm, Springfield GI, Norinco, etc.

11. get a good one the first time. you will either put a bunch of $ upgrading or you will just buy another 1911 and then it will have been more $$$ in the long run

12. I'd personally be snagging a RIA for $380 off Gunbroker for a very nice, lesser priced 1911. In fact, next month I may do just that for a nice Jeep gun.

13. As I said elsewhere, if you are looking for a good 1911 that doesn't cost a fortune, look at a used pistol. Last year I was looking for a good 1911. Based on my own looking, I considered that I would be able to buy a nice used 1911 for around $550-600. At a local shop I found a new SA 1911 GI for $556 OTD. Then while poking around at another gunshop I found a virtually as new likely unfired SA Mil Spec. 1911 for $400 OTO. The shop owner even included a bag of 58 loose mixed .45 ACP ball rounds. That pistol has been one of the best purchases I have ever made. Keep your eyes open and don't get in a hurry. Don't get all wrapped up in the hype pushed in magazine articles and on internet websites. Make up your own mind as to exactly what you want, i.e., basic GI type, something with a few more features or something that has all the bells and whistles. If you find a new pistol that is priced in your range... buy it! But look around because you may just find a used pistol that will very well suit your interest. HTH. Sincerely. Brucev.

14. S/A GI!! I picked up a used one on ar15 for 425

15. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

As a good frind of mine always says, "That would be intelligent." :supergrin.

16. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

RIA or a Springfield would fit the bill.

17. I looked at the springfield GI model, what's the difference with the GI and mil spec or Higher models???

18. The GI model is the most basic model. The Springfield Armory website lists the features of each model. Some 1911 forums have sticky threads that describe the differences.

19. Decided to just get the GI model in SS , how much should I pay??? Locally found a GI non SS for $575