close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Good deal for range?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by G1Nine, Feb 10, 2012.

1. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    First, welcome aboard. The site is down or having problems so I could not see what you linked to. It looks like 500 rounds of Winchester 124 Ranger. Maybe if you could list it like that with price, I could give more info.

2. G1Nine

G1Nine

Feb 7, 2012
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks PghJim, wonderful to be in this forum and it is my first Glock, and handgun for that matter. Yeah it's the 500 rd case - 9mm Winchester Ranger 124 grain +P FMJ Encapsulated Z Q4362 Ammo - $109.50

I know it +P and might indeed be overkill for range shooting but wondering of the price and if there are any other "cheaper" ammo recommendation for such use, that would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Colorado
  4. JimIsland

JimIsland

Aug 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Ditto on the S&B. I've shot a ton of that stuff and it's fairly snappy and I like that it has sealed primers. I have a tendacy to hoard this stuff!!!

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Speer Lawman is also great stuff and is available in 115, 124, 147.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  6. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

http://www.sgammo.com/product/winch...ger-124-grain-p-fmj-encapsulated-z-q4362-ammo

This ammo is more than likely rejected ammo from a LE contract order (thus the "Z" inked in with a marker prior to the product#). And I doubt that it uses an encapsulated bullet as neither the box nor the cardboard case says anything to this to this extent (unless someone pulled a bullet and found that it was encapsulated).

It should be just fine for practice/plinking use

7. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

If I remember right when the DOJ put the contract out it specified encapsulated. Like Mac posted this may be why it was Z marked.

I did not buy any to sell but I did get some for me to shoot in a carbine.

8. G1Nine

G1Nine

Feb 7, 2012
    Bay Area, CA
    Is 'encapsulated' another term for complete metal jacket? What does 'Z' mean? Thanks all!

9. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM