Glock Talk banner

Good belt for ccw

24K views 64 replies 46 participants last post by  JuneyBooney 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a good belt for ccw. I know this has been covered a million plus times but I have never found a good belt that did not fall apart after a month or two. Secondly I would like it to have a good secure locking mechanism as the d ring web belts tend to loosen up when I wear them. The third issue is I have no butt. Yes laugh out loud now!

#27 ·
If your belts are "falling apart after a month or two"... your not buying gun belts. It's just that simple.

I can give you a lot of opinions, but you really need to post your budget. You can spend anywhere from $50, up to well over 150+ for a high quality belt.

In order for me though, from "Cheapest to Most expensive".....

Wilderness Instructor -- 1.5in, 5stitch. Great belt. The velcro can be totally worn out, and the belt will still hold tight, if you use the buckle correctly. Velcro on mine is pretty well shot (cuz I use it while camping/fishing, and it's gotten wet, a lot).

Aker B21 -- 1.5in leather, w/ a polymer insert for support. Great belt at a really good price. http://www.galls.com has them for $45. This GT'er was an Aker Dealer (you can try PMing him and asking if he still is)... He used to deal in the classifies a lot.... A GT'er whom I trust got a holster through him and was happy w/ the transaction.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=57398

A thread... http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1057049

Best -- Easy, Beltman. Awesome belt. Use it and love it.. You'll never need another one. I've never personally used a Comp-Tac belt, but having seen them, I would put them in this category as well.

#33 ·
A proper belt makes a huge difference. Think of it this way. If you buy a good gun belt for $80. It will easily last 10 years. That's $8 a year. If you are replacing an off the rack belt every 2 years, that adds up fast. $80 for a great gun belt that lasts for over a decade is cheaper in the long run. My oldest belt is a horsehide Kramer. I bought it in 1993. I still wear it and I know it holds up any gun I have. I'd say I got my money's worth out of it and then some.

I've got belts from Alessi, Kramer, Wilson/Rafters, Beltman, Wilderness and A&G. There are differences between belts. Some are better finished than others. Some are thicker than others. Some have a curve and some are straight. The way each maker measures fit can be different.

Take for example, Beltman and A&G. I like them because they have a "Quick Ship", which is fantastic. Beltman has a curve whereas A&G is straight. Both are finished pretty close but IMHO, A&G has the slight edge. Both are rigid enough to hold a 1911 and 2 mag pouches easily. Beltman only offers the Quick Ship in Black. A&G offers Black, Dark Brown and Light Brown. You can't go wrong with either of these two fine makers.

#34 ·
Also, I'd recommend getting a 1 1/2" width over the 1 3/4". The first Wilderness belt I got (the one that's 6 years old) is a 1 3/4", and while it's a fantastic belt, there are some belt loops that it's just a hair too wide for. When I ordered my Milt Sparks dual mag pouch for christmas last year I opted for 1 1/2" loops, along with new 1 1/2" loops for my 5 year old VM2, and a new Wilderness 5-stitch 1 1/2" belt. It really has opened up my legwear options, just by being able to work with the very slightly narrower belt.

#35 · (Edited)
I've got a Wilderness CSM lined aluminum ring belt. Best belt I ever owned. I'm picking up another one but in 1.5" to keep as a spare. I really like the Wilderness OD color.

#36 ·
Also, I'd recommend getting a 1 1/2" width over the 1 3/4". The first Wilderness belt I got (the one that's 6 years old) is a 1 3/4", and while it's a fantastic belt, there are some belt loops that it's just a hair too wide for.
Good point. Both my holsters for OWB carry, a Galco Cop Series, and a Desantis Facilitator both have 1.75" belt slots, but by the time you spread the belt slots wide enough for my thick CompTac belt, the belt slots measure just a pinch over 1.5", and fit nice and tight on the belt.

#37 ·
Good belts don't fall apart. First, you need an actual gunbelt, not a stiff regular belt. A proper gunbelt does not have to be worn too tight to keep the gun stable. The wilderness 5 stitch is excellent, durable, and reasonably priced, and has a secure locking mechanism. Galco, Bianchi, and Looper also make good gunbelts.

#43 ·
I have a leather Beltman belt and a Wilderness instructor belt and both are top notch. You can't go wrong with either. My beltman is about 7 years old and it still looks and works great. The Wilderness instructor is nice for fine adjustments. No inbetween belt holes with it. Either will do you fine.

#46 ·
I am a butte-less wonder and love my Belt man belt.

Don't know if it is an issue which might impact you, however: I have a cordovan colored horse hide belt which I use for backpacking in hot weather. Under high sweat conditions, my belt did discolor in the area near the middle of my back.

Not a complaint per se, just wanted you to be aware.

#50 · (Edited)
My issue with leather is I have busted several normal belts not carrying or anything like that just normal use. Plus its hot and humid here in FL.
Your issue is with cheap, normal leather. Quality gun belts are dual layer to prevent what you've described above.

You buy a Beltman and snap that belt, then you're using it as a tow strap.

If you don't like leather, thats fine... but comparing a Beltman, to anything you've gotten at Wal Mart/Tractor Supply/JC Penny, is like comparing a Harley to a tricycle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.