Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Good .22 rifle?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by cliffsta, Jul 1, 2012.

1. cliffsta

cliffsta Who, me?

Dec 3, 2009
    Well I just purchased my first firearm, a Gen4 G22... just waiting on the background check to go through so I can take delivery. But I'd like to get a .22 rifle to shoot for fun. Any suggestions for an inexpensive, simple .22 just to have?
  2. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

Do you have any preferences as to action type?

There are quite a few options........bolt, semi-auto, pump, lever, single shot.......

3. cliffsta

cliffsta Who, me?

Dec 3, 2009
    Semi-auto or bolt-action would be my preference. Though I'm open to pump or lever.
  4. AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    I've had good luck with the Marlin Mod. 60. I think it was only $120.00. Nice sights & high cap mag. tube. Very accurate & functions 100% with CCI Maxi mags but only 75% with Remington Golden Bullet.
  5. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    A Ruger 10/22 is always a solid choice.
  6. BenjiEDF

Jun 15, 2012
    The CZ-452 Military Trainer is the finest .22lr rifle a person can own and I will state that with AUTHORITY. It has very nice iron sights and is the most accurate .22lr you can get for the price (w/sights). Savage Mark II is second.

I absolutely love Ruger and the 10/22 is fun, but if you are new to firearms the CZ will be a better first rifle. You can become an excellent marksman by training with it alone right out of the box.

:steamed: /flame on! :-D

There are other options out there, but I really do feel this is the best.
  7. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    +1 :cool:
  8. I have a Savage Mark II and am very pleased with it. It has fed and fired every type of ammo I put in it and is very accurate. I put a cheap scope on it with see through rings, because I'm a die hard iron sight fan and I want to be able to teach my kids how to use irons without having to remove the scope.
  9. Another vote for the 10/22. tom.:cool:
  10. NBT

May 19, 2012
    My Ruger 10/22 has been proudly serving me since 1984...still shoot's great.
  11. packeagle

Mar 2, 2011
    Savage Mark II is a good rifle. I really like the heavier barrel on the target model I used at the camp I worked at.
  12. shootingrn

Nov 5, 2007
    I've had my 10/22 since 1982 and still love it. I bought one for my son just like my father did for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. Another vote for the savage mkii.

The 10-22 is a great rifle, but you will concentrate more on accuracy with the bolt action.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  14. Hairtrigger

Nov 30, 2002
    Another vote for the 10/22
  15. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

OK, it looks like you are open to just about anything!

There hasn't been any bad suggestions, so far.

Several years ago, I came across a used Rossi 62SA pump rifle that's turned out to be a favorite of mine. It was only $185, and with iron sights is very accurate and fun. If you are willing to buy a used rifle, it opens up a lot of possibilities for quality rifles that wouldn't be in your price range, if you bought it new. If you intend to scope it, this wouldn't be a good suggestion, but it is a darn fine rifle......

A Marlin bolt rifle is always a good choice, too......simple and accurate, magazine fed. (2nd one down)

The two at the bottom are 10/22's, and are always a good choice for a good, accurate, and reliable 22 semi-automatic that isn't too bad on the budget.

The one at the top is a Marlin 39a lever rifle, and the 3rd one down is an Izhmash biathlon........both of these are fine rifles, but definitely not cheap.

16. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    I agree with these guys. If you want inexpensive, fun, & reliable, a Ruger 10/22 Carbine with wood stock is the way to go. I enjoyed shooting my Ruger 10/22 out of the box.

If you ever get the urge to accessorize and/or modify, the 10/22 has lots of aftermarket support.
  17. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

Nov 9, 2008
    I would second this. I have had great experience with the 60. I prefer it over a 10/22, although loading a tube feed is a bit more inconvienent than loading the 10/22 mag. I would say out of the box the 60 is a tad more accurate, and mine has been very reliable.
  18. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    Ruger 10/22. I have about 20 22 rifles, the 10/22 is the most used and most versatile.

BTW, buy a 10/22, put a scope or good set of sights (Tech Sights) and a web sling on it and take it to an Appleseed. It is a ton of fun.
  19. amorican88

Feb 11, 2011
    Another on the 10/22 bandwagon. You really can't go wrong.
  20. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Ask yourself this question:

"Do I want a simple, inexpensive .22 that will help me learn to shoot? Or do I want one that will help me learn to plink?"

If the answer is the former, then get a bolt-action CZ or Savage.
    If the latter, get a 10/22.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012