close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good $100-$200 photo printer?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by NeverMore1701, Jun 12, 2012.

1. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

My wife wants to start printing some of the pictures she takes, and our current printer (8 year old all in one) just doesn't print photos worth a damn. I know there are lots of photographer types around here, so I was hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right direction.

I know that my options are probably pretty limited at under $200, but would still like to get the best bang for my buck.

2. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Haven't shopped printers in a while, but for straight photo printing, I preferred Canons. The Pixma 6000 line used to be good, don't know about now. If wanting to spend more can look at the 8000 line.

I like the Canons because you can get generic ink for fairly cheap. Epsons are alright too, but I have heard issues with it not wanting to use generics (this might be true with Canons now too though).

EDIT: Looks like my information might be older than I thought, but you can find some decent Canon (and even Epson) photo printers for about $150...more if you want more options.

Then maybe go to inkgrabber or the like to see if they sell generics for the particular printer you like best.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Probably cheaper to just upload them to Walgreens, no?

4. jeager

jeager

It would be cheaper to upload them to Costco or such.
    Ink costs its weight in weapons-grade plutonium.

5. Patchman

Patchman Florist

The photo printer is the cheap part. As others have noted, the expense is in the ink and photo paper.

For regular photos that I'm going to give away (ie 4x6 family photo at Xmas time) the local drugstore is cheapest.

For more important photos (those that go into a frame), I go to a local photo shop that uses professional grade paper and printing process. Over the last 19 years (age of oldest child), this amounted to maybe 200 photos (including copies for grandparents, etc...) at 50 cents per 4x6 photo? The largest photos I had printed up at that local shop were 10x12 photos, which, IIRC was about $4 each. There really weren't many of those.

Currently, my PC is hooked up to a photo printer. But it only has a black ink cartridge.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  6. mace85

mace85 NRA GOA USPSA

We just bought an HP7510 for $130 at same club. And buying direct from HP for the ink and photo paper has been cheaper than the prices I have been able to find anywhere is local stores, and free next day air too. I was very surprised by the photo quality.

7. droidfire

droidfire

Wanted to test wifi print capabilities. Went to staples and bought the cheapest wifi printer on the shelf. HP something

Works great, prints well, photos are decent and I can print directly from my android devices.

Not sure the model, exactly, and it's states away, but got it 8 months ago for something like 100 bucks, no sale, and it works fine. I used it for two months obsessively, but haven't been home in 6.

People who are taking care of my house say it still works fine, it's been printing the amount of text documents that make a laser printer a good buy for college projects, so for what it's worth...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Ain't that the truth? I wish someone in the ink business would come on and explain just what the hell it is about small personal printer ink that makes it cost so much.

9. Ironbar

Ironbar

I have an Epson Artisan series printer that does a fantastic job. I was also in the crowd that constantly lamented the cost of ink, until I found that I can buy new aftermarket ink cartridges on eBay for a fraction of what the Epson cartridges go for.

My Artisan 810 for examples uses six in cartridges. New Epson cartridges go for about $12.00 a pop. I can buy all six on eBay for about $20.00.

I can see no difference whatsoever between Epson ink and the aftermarket stuff. It all prints exactly the same.

10. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

If you're willing to spend a bit, you can get a printer that will print pretty good photos. Your ink cartridges will be expensive, and they will be replaced frequently. Refllls for photo printing can work, but don't count on it (the odds are stacked high against you). The printer's quality will probably not hold up over the long haul (again, the odds are against you).

If she needs/wants the convenience/immediate gratification of printing at home and she's not going to print thousands of photos, maybe it's worth dropping the money. Financially, it will not work out. Not by a LONG shot.

In my household, we bought a photo printer. It was great. Was. The photo printer sits abandoned now, as we send our images to professional print shops. If refills had worked better, it might have worked out financially over the long term.

High-end printing is a beast. There is a lot of headache and expense to keep high quality printing system working, and working well. The professionals are worth their pay here, because you'll spend a lot more money and stress trying to do it yourself.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  11. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I would say look at Canon. They make some good cameras. Printers should do well, too. But I have never had one.

12. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

Actually, you can get a lot of printer for $200 these days, especially if you're just looking for home use.

I like "consumer search" as a handy "first stop" for a lot of things. It's kind of a "meta review" site that amalgamates reviews from around the web.

If you are just focused on photo printers, they show this:
    http://www.consumersearch.com/photo-printers

If you search on multi-function printers, they give you this suggestion (scroll down a bit for "best MFP for photos, no fax":
    http://www.consumersearch.com/multifunction-printer-reviews

You didn't say if you want/need a scanner, though.

Or, if you just search on "printers" you get:
    http://www.consumersearch.com/printers
    Which includes a suggestion for both "best family printer for documents and photos" and an "enthusiast photo printer."

These are fairly up to date, and it's interesting to note that most of the winners in your area of interest are Canons, and that matches my experience as well.

For MFP's I have used HP's in the past with "mixed" results at times. That Canon 8000 series mentioned under MFP's looks like a winner to me, or the Canon 882 if you need fax.

13. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I like Epson. I run a Stylus Photo R280 all the time.

Don't use refills if you want quality images. The reason to print yourself is the control and quality. Refilling with cheap ink negates all of that.

Also don't go cheap in discount paper. Use good photo paper and experiment with different brands. Profiling a printer to different papers is VERY important.

Look into a Colormunki calibrater.

14. Seminoles

Seminoles Millennium Member

Go to Best Buy and get the Canon 6220. On sale for $149.99. Excellent reviews and prints photos great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

15. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Well so far she's been happy with Walgreens. The quality is really good, everything up to 8x10 is ready in store in 24 hours (bigger ships in a couple of days), and we'd have paid 5x the cost of the prints in ink by now.

16. Bro KV

Bro KV

+1

I have an Epson RX580 and it has 6 different cartridges at about 15-20 bux each. Sucks

17. Dragline

Dragline

That would be my move.
    I had a Canon photo printer but adding up the cost of the printer, paper, and ink cartridges made me give up using it for photos. Plus how many times did I print one and realize it didn't look quite right and had to do it over. That's more paper, more ink...nah, forget that.
    I just use Walgreens now, even for big enlargements.

And hey, today is 10¢ Tue. at Walgreens for 4x6s.
    And they often have deals for free prints, free 8x10s. free collages etc.

18. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

I do the Walgreen's or CVS thing for pics that need printing. It's a lot cheaper ...

However, I have a wireless HP printer and it does print decent pics.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. Crypsis

Crypsis

I have a brand new in the box, Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II that I am looking to sell. I hear its very good. I just don't have the room for it.