close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Gold, Silver other PMs taking a major dump today

Discussion in 'The Furball Forum' started by Dragline, May 8, 2012.

1. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    I don't think we'll have to worry about going to a barter economy any time soon. However, hyperinflation is a real concern.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  2. Glotin

Glotin

Aug 16, 2011
    Very true. The principal difference being that gold has little to no utility. At least oil is used for something. Real Estate and companies, of course, can generate positive cash flow while you wait for another cycle. Good companies produce even in the bad times. Gold is a shiny rock, and one oz is no different from the other; they have the same valuation.

See my comment re. the 1970's.

In 1979 BusinessWeek published a cover story titled "The Death of Equities". The article, like you, pointed out that you'd have to be crazy to invest in equities. This, of course, was on the eve of probably the greatest bull market in history. Oops.

He bought silver in 1998, when it had an attractive valuation. That's what he does. He buys things for less than they are worth and sells them for more than they are worth. He bought for $5, sold shortly thereafter for $7, and then the price retreated back below $5. He would've had to hold that silver for 12 years before it climbed, very briefly, to $45. His money was employed much more effectively in productive assets over that 12 years, which is one of the reasons he's one of the richest men in the world.

You think he's butt hurt because he made $240 million in a few months?

Stocks are also a hedge against inflation.

3. nathanours

nathanours Texan

I don't agree with the part in bold. Gold is used heavily in electronics. I've got a pair of headphones with a gold coated jack. You could also say that it has utility in the fact that it is highly desirable for jewelry. It gives people pleasure to wear, helping to maximize their utility in the same way driving a sports car would give someone pleasure.

From my econ dictionary:

Utility
    1. An economic term referring to the total satisfaction received from consuming a good or service.

If people receive satisfaction from owning gold or jewelry made with it, then it does provide utility.

4. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    The utility of gold is minimal. Gold is the most malleable metal. It can be hammered so thin, it becomes translucent. 1 oz of gold can be hammered into a 100 sq ft sheet. What this means is that it doesn't take alot of gold to plate something or make gold foil.

5. nathanours

nathanours Texan

I know this and agree, but wouldn't you also agree that most married women gain more utility or satisfaction from a gold wedding ring than they would from a silver one? I know it is that way because of societal norms, but it holds true none the less.

6. Here's the rub. What is the next Apple stock? Anyone can say they would have made more money with Apple looking at the past, but going forward from today, tell me what one stock is going to outperform gold? Just one stock. Just give me the one stock that will outperform gold over the next ten years. I mean, it's easy right? Just like Apple. So tell, me. What is that stock?

What you think is hype, I think is a paradigm shift in the world's reserve currency from US Dollars to gold. Once the world's Central Banks decide that the US dollar is no longer wanted as the world's reserve currency, a substitute needs to be found. Yep, back to gold. And that will cause gold to skyrocket. You obviously don't understand or see or think that will happen, but the writing is on the wall.

7. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    You have it entirely wrong. Picking one stock is insanely difficult. But that's not the point.

The point is that you don't HAVE to pick one stock. On average, the performance of the entire market will beat gold.

8. Actually you can. Buffet is clueless when it comes to gold. He has a vested interest in bashing gold as he benefits from our current printing to infinity fiat system.

He has done extremely well for some year, but the last ten his stock has tanked.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Stop poking the inmates. :rofl:

It's like those rubes on the radio that talk about the "Custom suit" comparison. If you bought a custom suit in 1920, it would cost you about an ounce of gold. If you bought one today, it would cost around an ounce of gold. Ergo, Gold is a great investment because it holds value.

Of course, if you invested in the S&P500 back then. . . your gold would need to be worth $67,000 per ounce to even start to compete, and you could buy 40-50 suits.

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Tanked???

Not a Buffett fan by any means, but 10 years ago, his stock was worth HALF of what it is today.

From my estimation, that's a double. But I could be wrong.

11. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Warren Buffett has a very specific talent--he can look at something and figure out what it's worth.

It's a limited talent, and he's the first to admit it. But to think it doesn't apply to gold is simply insane. He's made money moving in and out of precious metals many times.

Uh...
    [​IMG]

12. One stock is the point if people are going to compare gold versus Apple the last ten years.

Well it hasn't over the last twelve years. Now, what does the future hold? That is the question. I'll stick with the hot hand, gold.

13. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    I'm sure they said that about $2 gas in during Jimmy Carter's term :rofl:

For crying out loud, 2009 even in the Obama administration where the national aver gas was well under $3 a gallon. 2009 it was $1.84, 2010 it was 2.78.

You want it $3 gas for another 4 years, don't vote for Romney. Pretty much LIKE GOLD people look at the current big numbers and not what the price was just a few years ago and historically over time.

Gas was under $2 between 1981 and 2007, then it spiked near the end of GW Bush's term, and it spiked again in 2010 to present.

Just a few years ago gas was selling for $1.60 and gold was $400 an ounce.....but ,but....you should put your money in Oil and Gold last year because Oil was selling for $120 a barrel and Gold was selling for $1800 an ounce.

Now where are you :dunno:

If you bought a Barrel of Oil and a ounce of gold last year you would be down about $320. Way to protect your wealth.

14. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Oct 10, 2007
    I just made up that rule like the talking heads do every day on TV to explain the daily market moves when in reality they have no idea unless they are Soros or Niederhoffer.

The rule is there is no rule.

Gold is money but to invest you want your money circulating; gold is the exact opposite as it just sits there.

I salute those who went all in gold at $289; it is all so crystal clear now but I did not predict that the Government would act in such a fiscally reckless manner.

To the gold bugs – if Romney wins dump gold. Romney likes to fire people. Expect fiscal restraint.

15. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    But it has over the last fifty, and hundred, and two hundred. Why are you looking at only the last twelve years? Why not some other arbitrary time period?

Gold is down three dollars in the last 30 minutes!

16. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Patron

Feb 24, 2000
    Richmond, Virginia
    "but going forward from today, tell me what one stock is going to outperform gold?"

The way gold is going now - down - any stock will outperform gold.

The way the Euro is going, the dollar will be in favor for quite some time.

I know one thing, my father and I began seriously saving scrap silver/coins in the '50s and '60s and added some gold along the way and you know what, it's still sitting there and has not produced one penny of income. It just sits and I'm too lazy to sell it.

Now that CD rates are near zero, I think some days that I should take my mother's CD money and buy gold. Let's see, call it $1600 an ounce divided into $500,000 equals what, about 20 pounds? Geez, think of the storage fees. But then if I needed the money for her nursing home bills I'd take a beating on the sales commission. Her yearly bill is right at $100,000. This is year six.

It was a good first quarter for the stock market. I have some index funds that nearly doubled gold's 52-week performance.

John

17. Glotin

Glotin

Aug 16, 2011
    It's amazing to me how your brain wraps itself around this one.

You realize that in the history of the world, the hot hand has eventually always failed? Be it real estate, stocks, oil, gold, tulip bulbs, what have you. Again, the difference being that real estate and stocks are productive.

"Chase what's hot, get burned"

What is smart at one price is foolish at another.

18. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Selma Hayek is bathing in my solid gold bathtub as we speak. Wait... she's calling. Gotta run!

19. Looking at the performance of gold vs. Berkshire since the start of 2000 shows that the value of gold has increased considerably more than the value of Berkshire Hathaway. In fact, with a gain of 466% since the start of 2000, gold's gain has been nearly four times the return of BKR.A (466% vs 120%).

No wonder the old man hates gold.

20. Looking at the history of the world, gold has always lasted as money. Paper, not so much. The US dollar is getting ready to be abandoned as the world's sole reserve currency. Prepare for it or get hammered. Pretty simple.