Gold Dots - 155gr or 165gr for G23

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by avenues165, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Bingo. After all, the majority of shots are going to be within 25 yds. (and a lot less for civilians) and velocity loss does not even enter into the equation at that distance for all intents & purposes.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I'd go with the 165gr load. It is a good combo of velocity/penetration and expansion.

3. That's my leaning for sure. I wanted to get some input on both. My LGS has the 165gr available in the 50rd boxes, but I am not sure if it's the warmer load or the 1,050fps load. I have moved both of my Glocks from .40 S&W to 357 sig for now (at least for home, car and carry), but I may move back to the .40 S&W in the future.

Either a 180gr .40 S&W or a 147gr 357 sig seem somewhat appealing for the winter.

4. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

You know, that is what I have been thinking - going to a 147gr load in my G17 for winter use. I just have doubts about the penetration capability of my 9mmP 115-gr +p+ loads thru heavy winter clothing. Here in VT in gets quite cold.

5. LGS has the 165gr GD loading at 1,150fps in the 50 round LE boxes. Found myself a new .40 load.

While I am sure that the Federal HST 165gr load is good, I just haven't been impressed with its velocity. The last number I saw was 1,050fps from a 4" barrel. For a 165gr bullet I want it moving at ~1,150fps from a 4" barrel. Just my preference.

Thanks everybody!
    :smoking:

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

My first choice is the 155gr Gold Dots followed by 165gr Gold Dots.

7. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I think that I would do realistic penetration tests with both weights of .40 S&W. I still thing that the 165gr load would come out on top. :cool:

8. I'm not sure about .40s but in .44s and .357s this is true. the slower bullet moves out of the barrel slower giving more burn time. I always go mid weight exept for my 27 thats loaded with 180 HSTs.

9. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

will be a G22 or 23, so I'll try the 165s.

10. I have the 155g Gold Dots in all my .40's (Glocks & M&P's). My guns seem to like them.

11. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

What the velocities are for the 155gr Gold Dots?

12. I like the 180gr Gold dot, but I just recently switched to 155gr XTP pushed by BlueDot @ 1150fps. This may not be the fastest load for this bullet, but it's the most accurate I have fired in my G23. The XTP penetrates deep, doesn't expand as much as the competition (about .56-.58), and is dead on accurate. Plus I like the recoil impulse since I seem to get back on target pretty quick with these.

13. I think this is what it's all about, finding something that works for you.

14. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

will be a G23 for CCW. I'll have to study up on carry loads. :upeyes:

15. I love my Gen 4 G23. I have had no trouble with it at all. It is a soft shooting handgun, making it a lot of fun at the range.

With a .40 Glock you'll be able to get a G32 barrel and a .40-9mm conversion barrel. If you don't want a G32 barrel you can buy an extended barrel with or without ports/threading. Storm Lake has QPQ barrels, ask Barth about his QPQ 357 barrel for his G27.

16. Neither. 180gr HST.

17. Those and GS bonded are my choice for 180.

GD are my choice for 155 and 165.

If I had to pick just one bullet to use in .40 it'd be the GD 165.

18. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I never thought of that - getting a longer replacement barrel for a G23. :cool:

#38 SCmasterblaster, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  19. I'm in the process of selecting a .40 carry round. I really like the shootability of the 180gr HST. Need to order a few more 165gr of various brands though to compare with. Ranger-T in 165 is not easy to find.

20. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Does anyone know about .40S&W 155gr bullet velocities?