close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gold Dot for .38?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by TJS, Feb 26, 2012.

1. TJS

TJS

Hey Mas,
    I cannot find Gold Dot 135gr. 38 special +P anywhere for my S&W 642. Would their 125 gr +P work as well? Many thanks,
    TJ

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

TJS, I do feel you'd be better off with the 135 grain +P Gold Dot .38 Special. Unlike the 125, it was expressly designed for optimum function in the 2" barrel format of most of today's .38s that are actually carried for self-defense. It turns out to work well in 4" barrels too. LOTS of shootings with it -- NYPD, for example, and Chicago PD, where last I knew it was the issue load for backup and off-duty .38 snubs -- have proven the 135 grain to be an absolutely top choice for that type of caliber.

If you have trouble finding it, I can tell you that my friends and colleagues at the ProArms Gun Shop make a point of keeping it in stock, and they have a UPS shipping station on premises. You can order at (386) 364-GUNS.

best,
    Mas

3. TJS

TJS

fantastic! I do have an old box of the 135+P gold dot, but box does not say "Short Barrel" on it....is it the same as the new kind with "Short Barrel" printed on side tab of box?

4. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Should be. Ernest Durham at ATK designed the 135 grain .38 Special especially for snubs, though it seems to work well also in 4" guns.

best,
    Mas