close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gold Dot 124 9mm 1220 fps load?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by bigleaf, Apr 5, 2010.

1. bigleaf

bigleaf
    Expand Collapse

I thought I'd go to the experts, since I've not found these combinations in manuals or on line... parts of each, but not the whole formula for 9mm. I'll shoot them out of a 19 and a 26.

I picked up 1,000 124 gr Gold Dot bullets and want to make up some loads for practice that act the same as my carry loads. I want to shoot some moving targets and would like the loads to travel pretty much the same speed, so that I can get used to the lead I'd need. I've got Bullseye, Silhouette, and 3N37 to work with. I'd prefer a suppressed flash powder like those, but powder's cheap enough, I can get something else, if you've got a great load.

I'd like to end up with 1200 +/- fps muzzle velocity. I'll be using Federal Small Pistol primers. And, I'll work up to whatever loads you suggest, testing as I go.

So, any suggestions as to powder weights and OALs? Thanks.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Well forget BE, not flash suppressed & way too fast for safe 1200fps loads. You can get there w/ the other two, look into their reloading data. I do not use them but can get 1200fps easily w/ Unique or WSF, both a bit faster.

#2 fredj338, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  3. bigleaf

bigleaf
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, fredj338. The Silhouette data I've seen shows loads for Hornady XTPs in 124, but no Gold Dots, The 3N37 shows data for Lapua Megashocks and CEPPs (I've never seen those in person) some ball and semi wadcutters, but again, not a Gold Dot. My concern is that these loads will be hot and I'd sure like a reliable OAL to go with the powder charge. I'm not fond of putting my hands in danger of a blowout if I seat the rascals too deep. ;-)

4. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Use the same data & drop 5% & work it back up. W/O a chronograph though, you will have no idea where you are going or when you get there. Working up +P data is NOT for the newb w/o some proper gear (chrono) & some reloading exp (reading pressure signs, extrapolating data, etc). OAL matters, swapping a GD for a XTP matters. Caution!

#4 fredj338, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  5. bigleaf

bigleaf
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, fred. That's precisely why I'm asking for data. I've only been reloading for a few months, but the fellow I reload with has done it for thirty years. We'll have his chrono available, too. I just don't have a great place to start with the Silhouette or the 3N37 under these GDs... My friend mostly shoots Cowboy these days and a .45 for SD. I'm sure he feels like he's just humoring me with the 9mm. :embarassed:

All that said, anyone out there got charge weights and an OAL for these?

6. tjpet

tjpet
    Expand Collapse

Random case
    Win. SP primer
    6.2grns. WSF
    115/124grn. bullet
    1.150" OAL

Without a doubt the most accurate, consistant +P 9mm load I've ever seen. Most manuals top out at 5.7grns. so start low and work your way up. Good for 1250fps, give or take, depending on barrel length.

7. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Yep, I go 6.1gr WSF under a 124grRGS @ 1.135" for 1215fps in my G17. 6gr of Unique will do the same. I consider both pushing +P.

#7 fredj338, Apr 5, 2010
  8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Keep to reloading data. Use a slower powder to simulate the added punch of the factory loads. I wouldn't even use max reloading data with out a chrono. No freaking way you will notice the difference between 1150fps and 1220fps on a moving target. Never mind the factory stuff isn't going 1220fps (or whatever they claim) in your gun. I would concentrate on making safe middle to upper middle reloads and forget about the rest of it. Slower powders in upper middle range of the load data will be plenty punchy of practice.

#8 Colorado4Wheel, Apr 5, 2010
  9. bigleaf

bigleaf
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, C4W. Any suggestion as to which slow powder I might go with?

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

AA#7? I know nothing about "flash suppressed" powders. I use Power Pistol which has a huge flash inside. I don't see it at all. I have used #7 and it's a lot like PP in feel and velocity.

11. bigleaf

bigleaf
    Expand Collapse

Now we're talking! I might have to high myself off to the store & get some WSF. Thanks, tjpet.

12. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

WSF is very good in the 9mm w/ all bullet wts. Just don't be stuffing 6.2gr in w/o working that load up from somewhere around 5.2gr. Like C$W said, you won't notice 50fps on a moving target at any normal handgun range under 50yds.

13. dougader

dougader
    Expand Collapse

3n37 and Silhouette will get you where you want to go. Just start low and work up like Fred suggested.

14. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm
    Expand Collapse
    Dog Lover

Well, as far as flash suppressed powders for the 9mm I find that Accurate #7 is superb. I get high velocities and these pics I took might just speak for themselves...

Here are some pics of some Law Enforcement 9mm ammo I photographed just last fall:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now here is some AA#7, under a 147-gr bullet, same aperture and shutter speed and distance, same night, within five minutes of the other two.

[​IMG]

And here's where I pushed the low light details as far as I could so I could see how much muzzle flash there was:

[​IMG]

It works similarly in the 10mm. As a reference, here's a factory Gold Dot load.

[​IMG]

And heres a training load (albeit not a Gold Dot) with Accurate #7 that chrono's less than 50-fps slower than the factory ammo.

[​IMG]

I can't carry reloads at all, but used to in days gone by. Now it's all factory, all the time. Just thought you might find my photo's and data interesting.

15. bigleaf

bigleaf
    Expand Collapse

Dougader, those are some fine looking fish on a fly! My mother-in-law in Wyoming turns 90 this June and I'll visit her (and take a couple of days in the creeks.)

And nitesite10mm... those are fabulous photos. They really show the difference in powder flash. That's unbelievable photography. I have a hard enough time shooting a mushroom or leaves up close. And they're sitting still! I'm going to send a couple of friends the link to this. Great shots.

So, to both of you... Any suggestion for an OAL and start and max powder weights for the AA #7, Silhouette or 3N37 with the 9mm 124 GD?

16. bigleaf

bigleaf
    Expand Collapse

I just got an email back from Linda at Speer... (if writing to Speer had been a snake, it would have bit me. My family crest should read "Is There a Harder Way?")

1.120 OAL
    AA#7 8.1 1077 9.0 1180
    VV 3N37 5.7 1063 6.4 1179

Still nothing on Silhouette, but it looks like I'll be picking a pound of AA #7. Thanks, fellas. You all are the reason this site works.

17. MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR
    Expand Collapse

Silhouette and 3N37 can both get you to Major, i.e. 1330+ fps with a 124, in appropriate guns, so 1200 is certainly not impossible. Load to maximum possible OAL and work up slowly. You will almost certainly see pressure signs.

My choice to duplicate punishing factory defense loads would be Power Pistol, FWIW. Flashy though.

18. bigleaf

bigleaf
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, monster. Yeah, Power Pistol will get it moving, but Wow! What a fireball! The Speer manual states 1.120 for OAL. You referred to a max OAL... might that be longer than 1.12?

19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Max OAL is loading the bullet to the max that the gun will allow. In a 1911 style gun it may be longer then the 1.169. Even my lead loads with my 147 gr lead bullets are MAX for my gun/barrel @ 1.080. So it's gun dependent. Idea is to make that tiny 9mm case as big as possible by loading the bullet long. In a glock the magazine is ussually the deciding factor for FMJ RN profiles.

20. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm
    Expand Collapse
    Dog Lover

bigleaf~

If you want your friend to see more muzzle flash photos (including revolvers), send him this link:

http://www.glockpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10352

I guess you can tell that I truly am impressed with Accurate #7 for flash suppression. For a Gold Dot 124-gr and Accurate #7 I would start with an OAL of 1.120" per my Speer #14 and work up to somewhere around 9.1 grains, perhaps a tiny bit higher (but that would be above the Speer Manual MAX). And as Colorado4Wheel stated, you can seat the bullet longer and carefully try going higher with the powder charge. Make sure any longer seating drops in your chamber completely and with ease.

While I have not yet tried Silhouette, I hear great things about it and would love to get my hands on some.

#20 nitesite10mm, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010