close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Going wireless LAN.. questions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

Oct 2, 2003
    Florida
    I have plenty of experience with ethernet setups using crossover cables, hubs, routers, ICS, etc but I'm a complete n00b to all this wireless stuff.

Since I recently bought my wife a laptop, which happened to come with a built-in wireless networking card, I've decided to hook our two desktops up with wireless cards as well. Since there will be more than two computers on the network at once (no internet sharing going on) do I need to get a wireless hub/router as well? Or can one of the desktops (all 3 machines are running XP home) be set up to act as the "main" wireless controller acting like a router for itself and the other two machines? The routers are cheap, it's just that I don't want to bother with unneccessary extra equipment.

Thx for any input

2. SamBuca

SamBuca

Aug 9, 2002
    Carlisle, PA
    I wouldn't bother with ad hoc networking. At Wally World you can grab your ammo AND a $50 Linksys wireless router: how convenient ;)

3. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

Apr 13, 2004
    yes, you will want a wireless router/firewall to handle the traffice and shield all the machines from direct internet connection.