close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Going to New York (SD question)

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by singlespeed20, Jul 22, 2011.

1. singlespeed20

singlespeed20
    Expand Collapse

I will be going to New York in September with my girlfriend for a short 5 day vacation.

I was thinking of carrying a surefire e2d led light as a precaution. I don't have one yet and was curious of any opinions before I made this buy.

Also, any problems with bringing this on a plane?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. SuperSleuth

SuperSleuth
    Expand Collapse

Someone with more experience may chime in, but I think you might be better off selecting a E2E instead of a E2D. I can see the crenelated bezel on the E2D setting off red flags at TSA checkpoints. I don't have any experience with this, though. I think it's better to be safe than sorry. Just my opinion, FWIW.

3. B.Reid

B.Reid
    Expand Collapse

It will be OK in your checked luggage.

4. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls
    Expand Collapse

NYS or NYC? In NYC if you get stopped by the stop & frisk squads, they will confiscate anything that has a sharp edge or a bunt object that they feel could be used as a weapon.

#4 fuzzy03cls, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  5. singlespeed20

singlespeed20
    Expand Collapse

NYC
    I doubt we'll be around and out at night, plus good common sense too is always a first in staying safe.
    Much rather be safe and prepared though.

6. DaneA

DaneA
    Expand Collapse

I think you would be better off going to a hardware store and buying a gutter nail. At least if that is confiscated you are only out a buck or so.

7. AlexHassin

AlexHassin
    Expand Collapse

What where you up to be stopped and frisked?
    i have never heard of any new yorkers flashlights being confiscated

#7 AlexHassin, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  8. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls
    Expand Collapse

Last summer I was in Harlem. Had my backpack. I was stopped. I was stopped again on my way to a Yankee game in May. A few friends were stopped before. Flashlights fine. But if the flashlight has sharp edges(Like the E2D) that could be used as a stabbing instrument, they could take it. I have friends that had blunt objects & a pocket knife taken.

#8 fuzzy03cls, Jul 24, 2011
  9. Electrikkoolaid

Electrikkoolaid
    Expand Collapse
    Grape flavored!

Sorry, you are not allowed to defend yourself in NYC with anything stronger than a stern look.

(unless you are a major contributor to the Democratic political machine, or a left-leaning Hollywood celebrity.)

10. singlespeed20

singlespeed20
    Expand Collapse

Were any fines given or just pocketknife being confiscated and allowed to continue on their way?

How were you stopped? Just you personally or like a checkpoint just stopping everyone along that route?
    At the yankee stadium are there metal detectors?

11. seanmac45

seanmac45
    Expand Collapse
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

One of the most ridiculous statements I have ever seen. There is no such thing as a stop & frisk squad in NYC. It would be unconsitutional.

As to your later assertions; 1 What were the circumstances of the Harlem stop? Please do tell us what property was confiscated from YOU PERSONALLY and by whom.

2 Backpack checks in Yankee stadium have nothing to do with the NYPD. Yankee Stadium is private property and they have the right to search your backpack.

Your stories stink like three day old fish.

12. seanmac45

seanmac45
    Expand Collapse
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

Crenelated edges on flashlights will be confiscated by TSA. So will the new breed of TACTICAL:upeyes: pens that are the current rage and primarily designed as stabbing objects.

All backpacks are searched in Yankee Stadium, Shea Stadium, etc. all the public arenas.

Whatever you decide you need for self defense, just mail it to yourself at the hotel in which you will be staying. Put it in your name C/O the hotel and list yourself as a future guest on the address label.

My best advice is that you won't need defensive implements. NYC is one of the safest big cities in America right now. It is a far cry from the NY of the 1970's or even the 1980's

#12 seanmac45, Jul 24, 2011
  13. singlespeed20

singlespeed20
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Seanmac!!

Jetblue does free checked baggage so if i do get the E2D i'll just have it checked in there and skip carrying it the day I go to Yankee stadium then.

Awesome idea too about mailing in to myself too for any future trips I do take, thanks for that one!

It's all just as a minor precaution, I'm not too worried about running in to any problems but rather have some form of defense just to be safe.
    I'd probably be even less concerned if it were only myself going, but having my girlfriend with me as well I'm being just a bit more cautious. :embarassed:

14. seanmac45

seanmac45
    Expand Collapse
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

Do me a favor and update your thread after your visit.

I would be willing to bet you both have a great time, but would like to hear the results either way.

Hoping to have your visit experience rebuke the NY haters in the thread.

15. coachrowsey

coachrowsey
    Expand Collapse

I'd be willing to bet the same thing. Never had a problem in NYC.

16. singlespeed20

singlespeed20
    Expand Collapse

I certainly will! I'm looking forward to it. I'm well over due for a trip and vacation.

17. RYT 2BER

RYT 2BER
    Expand Collapse

I have to travel to NY in august for a couple of days... I will be counting down the minutes till I leave that place. I don't like spending a penny of my money in that constitutional stomping cespool.

(And this is coming from someone who grew up there for the first 18 yrs of my life )

I LOATHE NY :)

18. dnuggett

dnuggett
    Expand Collapse
    PRO 2A

I'm all for the tool between your years being utilized to the fullest. That said I'm curious how you know that he will not be in a situation in which he could utilize a weapon to defend himself? :dunno:

19. RetailNinjitsu

RetailNinjitsu
    Expand Collapse

NYC has pretty strict rules on blades. NYPD has a habit of charging people with "criminal possession of a weapon 4th" for just about any blade that can be opened with one hand. :upeyes: (NYC sees them as "switchblades"). However, unless you attract negative attention or get "randomly selected" during one of the rare subway checkpoints, you shouldn't have a problem.

I carry my Fenix TK12 with striking bezel when I am out of the country and can't carry a gun. I have never had a problem bringing it on a plane. I also always pack an extra large tube sock and an "8 ball" in my carry on luggage (separate of course)

With that said, I spend about 50% of my time in Manhattan and Queens and have never once felt threatened. I have made a conscious decision to intervene on two separate occasions (one purse snatching and one fight on a subway platform where 2 teenagers were beating on one older guy). Both times I could have easily walked away. I doubt you will feel in danger while in NYC, but I would highly recommend the light and some common sense.

20. RetailNinjitsu

RetailNinjitsu
    Expand Collapse

One is guilty of CPW 4th if he or she possesses any: (1) firearm; (2) electronic dart gun; (3) electronic stun gun; (4) gravity knife; (5) switchblade knife; (6) pilum ballistic knife; (7) metal knuckle knife; (8) cane sword; (9) billy; (10) blackjack; (11) bludgeon; (12) plastic knuckles; (13) metal knuckles; (14) chuka stick; (15) sand bag; (16) sandclub; (17) wrist-brace type slingshot or slungshot; and (18) shirken or “Kung Fu star”. [See NY Penal Law 265.01(1)].
    One is also guilty of CPW 4th if he or she possesses any of the following weapons with the intent to use it against another unlawfully:
    (1) dangerous knife; (2) dagger; (3) dirk; (4) razor; (5); imitation pistol; or (6) any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon. [See NY Penal Law 265.01(2)].

People v. Nwogu. - Manhattan

Criminal Court Judge ruled that possession of a knife combined with a statement that the knife was for self defense was enough to make out a charge of Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Fourth Degree. The judge reasoned that by stating that it was for self defense it shows that the defendant considered the knife a weapon and therefore the presumption applied but that judge ruled that if the defendant had remained silent that the evidence would be insufficient.

#20 RetailNinjitsu, Jul 24, 2011