close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Going to jail for getting a good deal at car dealer

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by berto62, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Somewhat off-topic, say, don't you have a PhD? :tongueout::supergrin::tongueout:

(jest funning with you, please don't reject my apology and make my goldfish cry :cool:)

2. badge315

badge315

You could always file a claim against that person's homeowner's policy (assuming they had one).

No, the reason that it's so expensive to do business in this country is because of unethical behavior by businesses and frivolous lawsuits. And if businesses behaved properly, at least they wouldn't be subject to legitimate lawsuits. But the dealership didn't just engage in unethical behavior...they engaged in criminal behavior. The employee who filed a false police report should be imprisoned and the dealership should be held financially responsible, because the criminal act was committed on its behalf. You will never convince me that the dealership's owner bears no responsibility for this incident. Even if he didn't actively encourage his employees to engage in such unscrupulous tactics, at the very least he turned a blind eye to it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

3. frizz

frizz

You already admitted to making a living by lying to people when you were in auto sales.

4. frizz

frizz

You don't know that he was a greedy customer. What makes you so sure that the second vehicle was priced at that much more.

And since you say the lawyers are the ones who win, you are even further off the mark. First off, the dealership doesn't deserve to win anything. Second, do you think lawyers should work for free? Do you work for free?

5. frizz

frizz

Until you have been wrongly accused of a felony, arrested, and jailed AND as a result had a lot of future career obstacles thrown in you path, you don't know what you'd do.

6. devildog2067

devildog2067

[​IMG]

Once again--my conscience is clear. I never, ever cheated anyone.

I am 100% sure that there are people out there who think I did.

I never lied about the condition of a car or the terms of a deal.

I *did* agree with a woman trading in a Tahoe on an Eclipse convertible when she said her three kids would fit in the backseat. It wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the truth either. I got tired of dancing on that fine line.

7. frizz

frizz

What a load of garbage. You either intend to mislead someone or you do not.

You said that you lied, and now you are backpedaling. You didn't say anything like getting sick of coaxing people people into buying more car than they needed. You said that you got sick of lying.

8. frizz

frizz

You are the one who said that you lied, not I. Lying is the hallmark for cheating.

EDIT: And may I add that you are arguing for this comapny to be cut some slack.

9. devildog2067

devildog2067

Backpedaling?

I'll say it again: I lied to people. I got tired of it.

I could have, maybe should have, told people that buying a car was a stupid idea. But I didn't. I could have told people that they couldn't afford the car they were buying. I didn't. People asked me questions, and I did not tell them the truth when I answered. I redirected. I temporized. That's lying. I fully own up to it.

That's not the same as cheating people. Feel free to believe what you want to believe, but my conscience is clear. The people who believe that I cheated them (I know they exist, I talked to some of them, and I sold some of them second and third cars) believe what they wanted to believe as well.

10. devildog2067

devildog2067

I am not "arguing" for "this company" to be cut any slack.

I am pointing out that the actions of a single individual at this company may or may not reflect the culture of the company as a whole, and it may or may not be appropriate to hold the company responsible for the illegal actions of a single individual.

If a nurse at a hospital murders a patient, and the family sues the hospital, what do the GT hordes say? They say "lawyers and lawsuits are ruining this country." But when it's an employee at a car dealership, all of a sudden there are people saying the dealership should be on the hook for every penny of some arbitrary amount. It makes no sense.

11. frizz

frizz

On the lying thin, if all you did is only what you said you did, then you didn't lie. Not disabusing someone of an erroneous assumption isn't lying. Only a statement or act with the intent of planting incorrect information is a lie.

I can see where the conflict of making a living by ignoring your moral urge to stop someone from making a mistake would feel like a lie, but it isn't.

For your first paragraph, it may not seem fair, but I don't know of a better way to push companies to keep their employees in line. Then there's the fact that a business usually reaps profits when an employee cheats someone. In the case of a car accident, well, the business was making money at this.

For your second paragraph, sure, there is an inconsistency based on who is on the hook, but holding the company (hospital) responsible has the aim of making them be more careful in who they hire.

As an aside, I have noticed that in quite a few "angel of death" cases, a half-assed review of the kill nurse's history should have waived red flags.

On the amount of liability for the dealership, I have to argue that almost any damage amount has some arbitrariness in it since 100% precision is seldom possible.

Take pain and suffering from a wreck: it gets impossible to figure an exact dollar amount. But the person who has been hurt deserves something, doesn't he? The person who hurt him shouldn't be able to walk away because it is hard to figure an amount.

I do not disagree that damage awards can be so far off that they are in violation of due process, just as mega-punitive damages awards can. But it's gotta be something. Where that something is... reasonable minds can disagree.

12. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Hmmmm... In the interest of full disclosure, back in the day, no, make that WAY WAY back in the day, I sold home electronics and appliances for two major chains.

I could quote you practically verbatim. Such, as for me, "I could have, maybe should have, told people that buying a car this new TV was a stupid idea. But I didn't. I could have told people that they couldn't afford the car this new TV they were buying. I didn't. People asked me questions, and I did not tell them the truth when I answered. I redirected. I temporized. That's lying. I fully own up to it."

Like you, I cannot once remember lying about the terms and conditions of the deal as far as to how the financing and or in-house credit terms applied to their contract and what not.

Totally get it DD. :wavey:

13. Breadman03

Breadman03

Let's say the arrest prevents him from getting a promotion or new job with better pay for a few years. He might be making 10's of thousands less per year for life.

He may have to pay higher interest until any blemishes n his credit are gone.

I don't know about $2.2 mil, but it could certainly be a substantial number.

14. JW1178

JW1178

Dealerships do this crap on purpose so they can get you to buy the car and then get more money out of you. They are playing a game which in this case they went too far.

Car dealerships are places where a lot of money is moving around. A few people have to be hired that could be done by fewer people, but they have to hire more so they can "watch" each other. Basically, they get paid well to make sure everyone follows the rules. They don't work for their money, they don't "earn" money, they just make money. Because there are many people making lots of money, lots of money needs to be made, so often, it's hard to do this so they claim they struggle all the time. Kind of like banks.

15. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Well, just assuming a future value with 5% year, 10k a year, 20 years, that is about $350k. Extrapolate that until retirement time, and the future value is close to $1.6M.

So if a false arrest resulted in $10k a year less income, it is easy to get to $1.6M in damages over a career.

16. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I am not in a Math mood today, so I will run with your numbers.

The difference in salary between NP vs RN, or CRNA vs RN is anywhere in a range of $20-$50k a year (after factoring the cost of the Masters degree over four years).

17. nursetim

nursetim

I'm your huckleberry, yes I would, even over a pos ford. I would also renew as often as needed, every 10 yrs I believe, the hate would keep me warm in the winter. Anything the pos owns would be mine, anything the pos would ever own or make would be mine.

Gallium, RN to NP- $40,000 for RN, $60,000-80,000 starting out. NP to CRNA- as stated above for NP starting out, CRNA $120,000- up starting out. The main difference being that CRNA do procedures and add to the practice coffers. Seeing Pt.s not as much.

18. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Tim,

Locum Tenems says in my area CRNAs straight off graduation/the boards are getting $135-$149k/yr.

I have a lot of relatives (more than 20!) who are RNs or NPs, if you include LPNs & MDs there are close to 4 doz family members (my dad was from a family of 11 brothers and sisters, none of them had less than five kids, I am one of the youngest grandkids).

In this area none of the RNs make less than $70k, but they are working long hours, or have been RNs for a while, and have all the CC/admin/etc stuff that makes em more valuable.

If a dealership got me arrested on something like this, man I'd be so vengeful,:horsey: :supergrin:

19. VANWALL

VANWALL

Will someone who can follow this please post what finally is resolved (if it is ever made public).

I my opinion the person who made false statements to the police should be charged.

20. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

boy have i learned a lot reading this thread......

i think when it comes time to buy a new car, i will just junk my old one...............and ride the bus :(