close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Going a different direction with most future 1911 purchases...

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by bac1023, Jun 12, 2010.

1. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Guys, last month I started this thread stating that my 1911 collection had virtually no presence at all when it came to true classic examples of the model.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1221232

While I own a bunch of classic revolvers and non-1911 autos, my 1911 collection is virtually all modern. The only exceptions being two USGIs, an AMT Hardballer, and a Detonics ServiceMaster. My recent Valtro is older, but certainly not old enough to be a "classic". My collection needs some classics before its totally complete. I feel strongly about this, so much so, that I want most of my remaining 1911 purchases to fill this void. Believe me, I do feel we are currently in the golden age of the 1911, with so many options available in all price ranges. Generally speaking, the 1911s of today are much better than 1911s of twenty, thirty, or fifty years ago. However, I want to be able to appreciate the 1911 for what is was, not just was it is.

I started by winning this auction. :supergrin:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=173430688

I've never seen a finer example of a classic Gold Cup NM. As you can see, I paid a good penny, but how often do you see unfired pre Series 70 Colt Gold Cup National Match 1911s? As you can also see, its complete with the original box, papers, and a test target dated 1967. Even the box looks great. Furthermore, there are some well used Colt NMs of similar vintage going for nearly as much on GB. This may be the nicest 43 year old 1911 I've ever seen. :wow:

While it sat at the top of the 1911 "food chain" in 1967, its certainly not a high end model by today's standards. However, this brings a presence to my 1911 collection that even some of the best 1911s in the world can't. Until now, I bought nothing quite like this. Furthmore, when it comes specifically to Colt, they were better in 1967. Value on this will just continue to rise over the years.

This makes 52 1911s, leaving me room for eight more on my 1911 shelves before I'm calling it quits from a 1911 standpoint. I already have the Morris Tactical Elite, Remington R1, and EMF Hartford on order. I should have all three over the next few months, leaving me room for five more. Out of those five, I'd like three or four to be in this flavor. Not $2300 models, but classics nontheless.

I'd like a Randall, at least one more classic Colt such as an old commercial Government model, an older Springfield from the 1980's or so, and maybe even an older series I Kimber. I know the Kimber is no classic, but I do like the older models, such as a Classic Custom series I. I own no series I Kimber at this point. I'm also thinking about a nice USFA Government model as well.

I'm not ruling out another USGI to go with my Ithaca and Remington Rand, but this is really about commercial models.

My point is that I'm not looking for another full custom build, semi custom, or new production 1911. After my recent flurry of customs and semi customs this month, and with the Morris on the way, I'm very content with that part of my collection. I'm leaving a space or two open for something that may interest me down the road. I'm still considering a Baer TRS and/or a Springfield Pro. One space could also be left for Ruger, should they ever introduce a 1911. However, after these next three come in, I consider my modern 1911 collection complete for all intents and purposes.

Its the classics that I seriously lack.

Now a few questions...

Does this make sense to anyone?

Is this the right choice to make? I know it is for me personally, but I wanted to know who agrees and who would do the same. :dunno:

Finally, what does everyone think of the 1967 National Match I just won? :supergrin: Pics to follow on that once I have it.

As always, your responses are appreciated. Thanks in advance. :wavey:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Steel Head

Steel Head
    Expand Collapse
    Tactical Cat

Your present collection is kinda like modern European and American high end cars-Caddy Corvette BMW Mercedes Ferrari and a Rolls and Bentley or two
    now you own a 67 GTX-kinda rough yet classy and powerful
    I'm so proud of you:wavey: and I still lust over your P7 40:supergrin:

3. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

"This makes 52 1911s, leaving me room for eight more on my 1911 shelves before I'm calling it quits from a 1911 standpoint."

Whatever helps you sleep at night....calling it quits....suuuurrrreeee you are........

That Colt is classic, simply a piece of history :)

#3 Ruggles, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  4. shays4me

shays4me
    Expand Collapse
    gunaholic

This makes all the sense in the world to me. If money ever becomes a non-issue for me, I'll be looking for the nicest, oldest Colt government I can get my hands on. Kinda like the one I have now, only perfect. There's nopt that many of them out there, but they're available and are much cooler than anything built today. Not as nice, but much nicer, if you're on my vibe. I'd LOVE to have one from around 1912ish with the original old Colt blueing.

5. Jim Watson

Jim Watson
    Expand Collapse

Now how about a 1936 National Match?

6. jrs93accord

jrs93accord
    Expand Collapse

Brian, there is nothing like having some classic 1911s. As you know, I have a few classic Colts in my collection, of which I am very proud to own. In most cases, I would prefer to pay good money for a classic 1911 than I would a new one. Shop away big guy. There are plenty more out there for you. Congrats on the Gold Cup. It looks beautiful.

#6 jrs93accord, Jun 13, 2010
  7. RMTactical

RMTactical
    Expand Collapse
    www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

Yeah, not sure you'll be able to call it quits permanently.

8. Graves

Graves
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Junky

The half moon on that frame should hike the value a bit...
    I keed lol

9. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

It just hit me.....

You do not have enough room for many new 1911s.......we being a good group of guys the thought came to me.......two words for you....

Foster Homes....

I can take say 4-5 1911s in for you on a temporary basis of course.....

Anybody else care to help?

10. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

What is the significant of that?

11. Graves

Graves
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Junky

Fixed.

I'm sure every post you've ever made here is nothing but significant... Oh wait, I just looked. :upeyes:
    Pipe down mate, unlike some here bac's a good sport and I was just poking some fun. I'm sure he'll be very pleased with his decision to go after some of the classics.

#11 Graves, Jun 13, 2010
  12. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

#12 bac1023, Jun 13, 2010
  13. CMG

CMG
    Expand Collapse

Nice!

If you intend to shoot it much, replace the rear sight pin with a piece of drill-rod, they are notorious for breaking. (Mine did)

14. Hokie1911

Hokie1911
    Expand Collapse
    >

You obviously are out of room. You can just keep on buying them and keep them at my house. I have plenty of room here. I feel confident I can have Quack assist me and make sure they are fed, well maintained, and taken out to play. :supergrin:

15. drc767

drc767
    Expand Collapse
    Navy CSAR

As with a good collection of anything, it becomes more complete when you have old, new and custom pieces. Look at someone like Jay Leno and his car collection. If you have ever seen a detailed account of his collection, which is pretty extensive, you will see he has everything from unmolested early example of a Ford to the newest exotic sportscar. In that, he has also built some very serious custom rides that would make you drool. I believe that if it is a true homage to anything, the history of whatever you are collecting is vital.....Certainly, the 1911 collection would not be complete unless you can have a couple examples of the wonderful, original history of how this weapon went from a basic, well thought out design to a design that has been tweeked into one of the sexiest, most labor intensive pistols available. I can definately see where your going with your thought process. It is awesome to hold a full blown custom in your hands, but to me, put an original WWII 1911 in my hand and I immediately picture in my mind all of the history that specific pistol represents.....If those pistols could only talk, they could tell us countless stories that have never been told about the history of our country.....There is something very cool about that which no custom will ever bring to the table, in my opinion.

#15 drc767, Jun 13, 2010
  16. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Very well said, Dave. :)

I often wonder where some of these older pistols have been and what they have done over the years.

17. Tactical black

Tactical black
    Expand Collapse

I think it makes a lot of since to round out your collection and the Colt you just bought is beautiful but like a few other mentioned I have a hard time believing your gonna stop with five more I know you collect many of other type of guns but you have a soft spot for the 1911 and I think you'll always be tempted by new models that come out but maybe you can control it but I will be surprised if five more is it. But anyways I look forward to seeing the next 8 or 10 or 20 1911's you have come in. :cool:

18. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican
    Expand Collapse

Nice Gold Cup. It would be hard for me not to shoot it. Even though it may not had the features of some of the current 1911's, I have seen out of the box GC's @ 50 yards out shoot Springers and Kimbers at @25.

In the classic 1911 collector world there are a couple of holy grails and you have the funds to get one.

1. Org Colt Commander, I am talking the first ones from the 50's 9mm lightweight frame
    2. 30's Colt Super 38 Look at these pics, http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://seekblue.com/pics/507.lob1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D245702&usg=__IWy1CpxcOnDfRAq0Chw1saxqslQ=&h=413&w=750&sz=54&hl=en&start=19&sig2=W6DW21UbqCBbxaVTUps3uQ&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=LRSAuV2BXpCvvM:&tbnh=78&tbnw=141&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcolt%2Bsuper%2B38%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=I84UTOm1BoXGlQeQtf2UDA

3. How about a 1911 Navy, Org 1911 for the first Navy contract [​IMG]

4 How about a Colt 1911 NM (not the Gold Cup) When the Army sent boys to shoot Camp Perry they would use armory prepped NM guns. The slide, bushing, barrel etc where all fitted NM parts with cage no.s The trigger guard should have a piece of tape showing the trigger LB. Diff years got diff sights and front strap treatment. Later the NRA and CMP sold these guns. A classic that was shot by Army marksmen at Camp Perry! That makes my nippies hard!
    [​IMG]

19. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Well guys, let me clarify...

I plan to slow it down big time. In fact, I'd like to stretch out my remaining 1911 purchases and remaining gun purchases over time. I will pick up the three I mentioned this year, but that will be it for this year. I've spent more than I wanted to already and the year isn't even half over yet. So look for things to slow down in a big way.

Plus, I want James to pass me. :supergrin:

20. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

:)

I hear you, but 60 1911s is way too many as it is. :faint: